Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Gmatclub quant CATs improvement and actual performance [#permalink]
Skag55 wrote:
Sure yes. The result of cat1 was 50%, and of cat2 32%

I just had a quick look and see that in your CAT 2 you have two questions in which you've spent over 5 minutes and on another you've spent almost 4. This basically means that out of the 75 minutes, you've spent almost 15 minutes on 3 questions leaving you with 60 minutes for the rest 34 questions. That is a whopping 8 minutes short of the 2 minute per question average!

I would suggest that you should start thinking about guessing as soon as you are nearing the 3 minute mark. If you notice, you've got just 1 of those 3 questions correct. Return of nvestment of time seems to be low. :) If you don't get it in 3 minutes there is a high probability that you won't get it in more time. You don't have to keep checking the clock. This sense of timing should come inuititvely with practise. Next time you take a mock test make it your mission to not go over 3:30 for as many questions as you can. Guess and move on.

I also see you've got many 600 level questions wrong. Have you gone through the MGMAT guides? There is also a very good GMAT Club quant PDF booklet with very comprehensive notes for quant. I'd recommend that you download it if you haven't already and know it by heart. My signature has a link to my de brief, it also has some useful tips on resources and test strategies. I would say one thing to you - "Work on your basics" - Get hold of MGMAT guides and go through them and make sure you don't move on till you grasp a topic. First basics, then questions!!

Also some of the questions on these tests will be insanely hard - don't worry! You are doing well, you just need to be in a position where you are doing as good as you can and looking at your cat results with timing bottlenecks I am sure there is room for improvement. Be more aware of your timing when you take mocks and go through quality content. You are bound to improve.

Link to Gmat club quant book: gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Quant notes based on MGMAT booklets: gmatclub.com/forum/download/file.php?id=11906 Credit to SlingFox.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
soods26 wrote:
Skag55 wrote:
Sure yes. The result of cat1 was 50%, and of cat2 32%

I just had a quick look and see that in your CAT 2 you have two questions in which you've spent over 5 minutes and on another you've spent almost 4. This basically means that out of the 75 minutes, you've spent almost 15 minutes on 3 questions leaving you with 60 minutes for the rest 34 questions. That is a whopping 8 minutes short of the 2 minute per question average!

I would suggest that you should start thinking about guessing as soon as you are nearing the 3 minute mark. If you notice, you've got just 1 of those 3 questions correct. Return of nvestment of time seems to be low. :) If you don't get it in 3 minutes there is a high probability that you won't get it in more time. You don't have to keep checking the clock. This sense of timing should come inuititvely with practise. Next time you take a mock test make it your mission to not go over 3:30 for as many questions as you can. Guess and move on.

I also see you've got many 600 level questions wrong. Have you gone through the MGMAT guides? There is also a very good GMAT Club quant PDF booklet with very comprehensive notes for quant. I'd recommend that you download it if you haven't already and know it by heart. My signature has a link to my de brief, it also has some useful tips on resources and test strategies. I would say one thing to you - "Work on your basics" - Get hold of MGMAT guides and go through them and make sure you don't move on till you grasp a topic. First basics, then questions!!

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. I too have spotted those timing issues which I am trying to eliminate. Also, the vast majority of the wrong questions are due to silly mistakes, a 0 possibility I didn't account for, etc. I have been counting at least 50% of my mistakes are silly mistakes, therefore sometimes I try to devote more time to solve a question rather than guess and move on.
However I was looking more for a level of performance, unless suggestion is that we shouldn't be taking gmactlub's cats as accurate measurement of real performance (which I am cool with, since I feel I am building a strong foundation anyway with them).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Skag55 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. I too have spotted those timing issues which I am trying to eliminate. Also, the vast majority of the wrong questions are due to silly mistakes, a 0 possibility I didn't account for, etc. I have been counting at least 50% of my mistakes are silly mistakes, therefore sometimes I try to devote more time to solve a question rather than guess and move on.
However I was looking more for a level of performance, unless suggestion is that we shouldn't be taking gmactlub's cats as accurate measurement of real performance (which I am cool with, since I feel I am building a strong foundation anyway with them).

If you ease out your timing issues it will give you more time to concentrate on some of the boundary conditions like considering 0 etc. Make sure to make note of these things. For example, I used to have problems where I would consider real numbers and integers and vice versa...gmat club tests are tricky for that. I would make it a point to note these things down while solving a question.

As for the level of performance GMAT prep would give you the best idea. However, Q37 on gmat Club is good, it is hard to say how good though. I can only speak on personal experience on GMAT club. Personally I was at Q38 on my first GMATCub CAT and found it insanely tough on my first go but took it up to Q51 in some of the later ones. On GMAT Club you start getting a Q51 if you are getting more than 25 questions correct! I ended up with a Q50 on the real GMAT.

Try to get an upward trend on your scores. You should look to get upto Q45 or there about. Doing that would give you the confidence to get a Q45 on the real test also and confidence makes a lot of difference. Hope this answered what you were asking for.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
soods26 wrote:
Skag55 wrote:

If you ease out your timing issues it will give you more time to concentrate on some of the boundary conditions like considering 0 etc. Make sure to make note of these things. For example, I used to have problems where I would consider real numbers and integers and vice versa...gmat club tests are tricky for that. I would make it a point to note these things down while solving a question.

As for the level of performance GMAT prep would give you the best idea. However, Q37 on gmat Club is good, it is hard to say how good though. I can only speak on personal experience on GMAT club. Personally I was at Q38 on my first GMATCub CAT and found it insanely tough on my first go but took it up to Q51 in some of the later ones. On GMAT Club you start getting a Q51 if you are getting more than 25 questions correct! I ended up with a Q50 on the real GMAT.

Try to get an upward trend on your scores. You should look to get upto Q45 or there about. Doing that would give you the confidence to get a Q45 on the real test also and confidence makes a lot of difference. Hope this answered what you were asking for.

Excellent! Always good to have a threshold based on someone else's experiences. Many thanks for your time and suggestions.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
Would also recommend you this post if you need more timing ideas: timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Good Luck!
GMAT Club Bot