Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: GMATPrep 370....45 days to reach b/w 500 and 600--HELP! [#permalink]
Your plan looks good and your goal appears to be very practical.

Are you keeping an error log? How is your timing, are you finishing sections or rushing to finish?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Plan looks good. Keeping the error log will help you hone in on the areas you need the most work on.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mohater wrote:
Your plan looks good and your goal appears to be very practical.

Are you keeping an error log? How is your timing, are you finishing sections or rushing to finish?

Mohart,

Manhattan has an amazing feature for the CATs--breaks down all of the sections by question level, ps/ds,rc,sc,cr...+ by indibividual type of CR or PS(ie. find the assumption, or quadratic equations, exponents and roots) .

After viewing my error report:
SC-pretty much 50/50...subj v agreement hurts me for some reason
RC-75%
CR- somehow I do bad on the practice tests for these but fine from the OG12...i look back over my answers and think some of them are debatable.nonetheless I am reviewing the 'find the assumption'

DS-one test i aced the other i struggled...it comes down to me having faith and going with my gut instinct on those.
PS-i sometimes freak out and get nervous. need to plug in variables.

Verbal i tend to be relaxed.

Math I need to focus on not getting a string of wrong answers--it kills my score.

Timing-I am finishing right on time. I do speed up a bit towards the end in verbal because i take longer to read the passages;however, my SC i do b/w 45-60sec.

I am going to focus on quant for the most part the final two weeks with some verbal(CR). My goal is to do better on getting PS right.

Conisistency is the key with math in order for me to score well and building that last bit of stamina for the essays.

any other tips..the forementioned schedule of events I will be following to a T. I was lucky and had this past week off to cram and really focus. I perform better with a tight deadline and a sense of ' i have no other choice but to do it now'. i do tend to review/refresh my memory for 45 mins in the am before i take a test to get the blood and brain moving. I operate better knowing its a short ways a way. 3months out i had no motivation or idea.

any other tips thanks....long post apologies.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
The MGMAT error log works at a higher level. You need to figure out WHY you are answering certain problems incorrectly.

RC answers are generally not "debatable". There is always something wrong with the incorrect choice (uses extreme words (always, never), is logical but not referenced, makes sense to you but not with what is in stem, etc

General tips

Slow down when reading the question. This will help with the second guessing and also ensure you're answering the question asked
If you get an answer and are confident, move on. You can recover from an incorrect answer as long as you don't consistently score incorrectly.
Take your breaks between sections and make sure you keep things in the time limit of the real thing (8 minute breaks)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mohater wrote:
The MGMAT error log works at a higher level. You need to figure out WHY you are answering certain problems incorrectly.

RC answers are generally not "debatable". There is always something wrong with the incorrect choice (uses extreme words (always, never), is logical but not referenced, makes sense to you but not with what is in stem, etc

General tips

Slow down when reading the question. This will help with the second guessing and also ensure you're answering the question asked
If you get an answer and are confident, move on. You can recover from an incorrect answer as long as you don't consistently score incorrectly.
Take your breaks between sections and make sure you keep things in the time limit of the real thing (8 minute breaks)

RC i know arent debatable...I said CR in my initital post. CR i keep getting downt to two answers and every time go with option B instead of option A(the right answer)...

Just did GMATPREP
500 (Q 32, V 26)
AWA-went through the motions nothing strenous, easy, whatever, answer it move on
Q-----freaked out a bit to much , math really is much easier than MAN., i will be reviewing more problems from OG and GPREP test than from MAN this week. I also missed 5 in a row which hurt plus i ran out of time and guessed on final 2.
V- i lost track of time and got to caught up with SC and lost valuable time...I ended up guessing on the last 7 (got 1 right)...so pissed at myself for slacking in time awareness. i know those final few questions killed my score. i think if i had gotten half of those right i woud have reached 30 for sure on V.
**First time running out of time on verbal**

To do this week:
OG12 Quant basics
GPREP review test type questions
Verbal-no prep other than the occasional problem set....I am relying on the fact that I didnt finish last 7 as the reason I did bad on Verbal, if anything practice some CR and SC.

Will be downloading GPREP again for 2 more tests.

I thought about doing 4 more GPREP tests and maybe one Man rather than 3GPREP/2 MAN. I want to focus primarily on GPREP related questions.

GPREP test advice?or comments.

Thanks Mohater for all the help. Crunch time here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ok ppl I took the GMAT Jan 30...10am.

460..(29Q, 23V)

my previous GMATPreps were 500,500,530.
my previous Manhattan Tests were 540,590,590.

avg Q 36 (32-42), V (29)

math was fine on manhattan, my verbal was also much higher. while i think the manhattan tests are great for practice...the types of questions are certainly different than those found on the gmatprep.

i could hear my hearbeating the entire time of the math section and by the time i got to the verbal i was so low on fuel(because of nerves and burning through all my breakfast) i struggled to stay focused.

sadly i felt confident in math and about average in verbal. very surprised to see quant so low. i was consistently scoring 36+ in the last couple weeks.

after 460 on jan 30 I have just rescheduled for March 10 8am in hopes of reaching at least 550.
prior to my first gmat i put immense pressure on myself--no tv, no socializing, i quit working out---all things that i enjoy. had 3 days to chill before test which i think built up my nervousness.

this time around i am reverting back to enjoying tv, partying on friday nights, working out 2/3times per week and having the mental attitude of F*** it...i cant do much worse.

i have the day before my exam off from work(friday) to have one day to chill and not do to much...
i really need to chill.

any advice on 5 weeks of studying or cat test prep would be appreciated.

im looking to use manhattan tests merely for practice.
take 2 gmatpreps between now and tthe exam.
read manhattan SC and NP back to front.
do OG12 problems.
~10hrs on weekends
~6hr weekdays

thanks for any help even if its just small advice. gonna give this thing one more try.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 484 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
For CR I can recommend the Powerscore CR Bible.
As it seems, SC is one of the major problems and most of the people say it is also very easy to improve and therefore can give you some extra points as well as more time during the exam. I haven't tried one of those online course and I am also a little bit struggling with SC. Maybe you just have to go through the Manhattan SC book often enough to internalize the concepts.

Did you finish the OG12 completely? Many people who score good in the exam went throught it twice. I would also recommend the Official Quant Review 2 and Verbal review. These are a must have.

After all, it is definately possible. I think you should continue to focus on practicing and then review some concepts once in a while.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
It's possible it was just nerves.

The GMAC concedes you can take the GMAT in two days and have a natural variance of +/- 30 points. That's the biggest unexplained variance the GMAC has found.

Other than that, something must have gone wrong. Consistent incorrect answers hurt you and missing lower ranked problems hurts you more than missing higher ranked problems.

Yes, taking a break is important, but go back to and over your error log. There should be some underlying issue (skipping steps in algebra leads to mistakes, not applying the correct rule in geometry, etc.).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
460-gmat 5 weeks-need 560 [#permalink]
thanks for the tips.
i will revert back to basics.
read SC, NP, WT,and CR book.

~ 1RC, 10SC, 10OG math, 5 CR/ DAY tops 2hr per day ~8hr/m-F + 10hr wknd.
GMAT Club Bot
460-gmat 5 weeks-need 560 [#permalink]