Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: GmatPrep Q49 - V36 : 710. Some questions... [#permalink]
mankodim wrote:

I found the math questions in the Gmatprep material to be pretty relevant. However, I'd recommend you to not rely too heavily on the verbal score. The questions on the actual GMAT are a bit different from the ones you find in most of the practice tests (mostly, because you'll be too used to solving the same type of questions) - Q49 V36 can be a 710 score. There's no hard and fast rule in the score matrix that defines your score.

Thats great, thanks for your input!!

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Theoneyoufeed,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Thus, the two scores that you describe are essentially the same overall performance. You should keep all of that in mind before you get too concerned about a 10-20 point difference in overall score. In addition, Business School Admissions Officers ALSO know that about the GMAT, so scores of 690/700/710 (with equivalent Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores) are all viewed in the same general way.

The pool of questions that come with each of the two free GMAC CATs is rather limited, especially when compared to the pool of questions that you could potentially see when you take the Official GMAT. As such, you may or may not find one Test to be easier than the other - it really depends on your performance and on which questions you are randomly assigned. It's also worth noting that the 'accuracy' of a CAT score is also based on how realistic YOU choose to make the CAT. If you skip sections, pause the Test, take it at home, take it at a different time of day as your Official GMAT, do anything else that is unrealistic, etc., then your score is likely to be less accurate.

1) How long have you studied?
2) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (with the Essay and IR sections)?
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thank you so much for your answer EMPOWERgmatRichC.
To answer your questions:

1) I have been studying since mid-august, but not as hard as I'd like, since I have to work. About ~20-30 hours a week. Initially did a long of OG questions, moved to some guides. Haven't done any course.

2) I took the full CAT this time, althought I did not in other ocasions, since I didn't have enough time...
Until now, my scores are the following:

VeritasPrep exams: Total Quant Verbal
September 3 620 / 66 43 / 52 32 / 67
September 17 650 / 76 45 / 59 34 / 72
September 25 640 / 71 45 / 59 33 / 69
October 12 690 / 86 47 / 65 38 / 85
October 22 660 / 79 45 / 59 36 / 81 (Having a pretty bad day, which influenced A LOT my score)

And this morning I took the 710 - 92nd (Q49, 83rd; V36 - 79th;) with the Gmat Prep.

3) Ideally, my goal score is 720. More realistically, aiming at 710. I'm planning to apply to a programme with a median of 710, so I think that's a pretty good score. In a quant-verbal aspect, aiming at 49-38.

4) Planning to do the exam on November, the 14th. Still haven't scheduled the date (Although I check regularly the GMAT Exam, to ensure the availability for that day) since I'll probably move it +-1 day.

Thanks again for your advice guys! Really apreciated.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Theoneyoufeed,

Assuming that you took this CAT in a realistic fashion overall, then it certainly appears that you're in a good position to hit your goal score. If you plan to take the GMAT in about 2 weeks, then you have enough time to get in 1-2 additional practice CATs (taking any more than that would likely not be a good idea) - when you take those CATs, you should put an emphasis on making them as realistic as possible (so take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take them away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, etc.).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot