Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Going to do it this time [#permalink]
Yes, it took a lot of time! FDP seems to be going quicker though.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I had to take a break during a move. Some of the Number Properties are sketchy. I got the FDP stuff down still. I think I've learned two important lessons:

1) Review a little bit of past stuff every day! Even if it seems simple today, you may forget it tomorrow.
2) Investing the time to go through explanations (even on right answers) is worth the additional time. Getting the right answer on a practice problem isn't enough. If you have to screw around and try different strategies or plug-in numbers, it is worth learning the "right" way to do the problem. It will save you time in the future.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I've found two extremely satisfying things when studying for the quant section.

1. Going back and working previously missed problems, and getting them right while completely understanding how to work them.

2. Solving 700-level questions on the first try.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm wrapping the Equations, inequalities & VICs book. I took the first practice test in GMATPrep and made a 44 on the quant section. I found the list of scores to percentiles at: https://www.mba.com/mba/TheGMAT/GMATScor ... gMeans.htm - so I still have a way to go. It looks like right now I need to get to a 48.

I think I may start doing practice tests every week or so now. During this test, I started out good, and then freaked out when I got some hard problems. I started to think I was doing horribly. I was thinking all my studying had not paid off at all! I started to question what I was going to do since the MGMAT books weren't helping. I decided to complete the test, but kind of gave up on some problems. Then I got on a roll and got the last 6 out of 7 right.

I missed 13 out of the 37 questions. I think what really killed me was that I had 3 misses in a row twice (19-21, 28-30).

Anyways, I now have some confidence I can do this. I've actually made real progress :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I feel even better after reviewing the test. I missed 6 out of 6 geometry questions :) That actually makes me happy since I haven't got to that review book yet! Chance for improvement!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Originally, I tried solving everything algebraically. I've learned that is not always the fastest way to solve problems. It takes a lot of practice, but I am starting to recognize when to plug numbers. If the algebra steps are simple and fast, it seems best to use them. As soon as it gets messy or you are not sure what to do next, don't feel bad about trying out some numbers. Using a combination strategy seems to work great and is faster on some problems.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I was really worried about the Geometry part of the test. That worry has passed now. After taking trig and a bunch of calculus, I was worried because there is SO much to know about triangles and circles! The GMAT tests a VERY small knowledge of these shapes.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ugh, another 44. Felt rushed, because I got interrupted for about 4 minutes during the test. May take another one when I'm *sure* I won't be disturbed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club test should be of great help..
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MS -IS
Schools:CMU, Kelley
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Great going. I am doing the Number properties book now. Paralelly doing Powerscore CR as well.

Once I am done with Number properties, I will start with the Inequalities book.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I took another GMATPrep test and got a 49. I think I may be ready for the real thing...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Took a break, and just started working on the Word Translations book. Still have a few chapters to go in it. Figured I'd try another test, and I made a 46. I had missed 3 questions in the first 18, and then started to panic because my timing was slow. I missed 19 and 20, 24 and 25, 30 and 31, and then (probably really bad) 33 through 36.

The good: I improved 2 points from my previous 44's. The 49 I got was probably not accurate because there were some questions I had seen before.

The bad: Still need to get to 48. These last few points seem really hard to improve.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
jpr200012,
Each time, are you taking the GMATPrep quant test alone? Which practice source are you using to test your quant skills.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm just using the GMATPrep software so far. I've had pretty good luck with not getting previously seen problems. The last test I did, I got 1 problem I had seen before. I started the test on MGMAT's site, but haven't completed the first one. I got all the books, so I have a bunch of additional tests and practice problems. Once I finish the Word Translations book I will decide if I will continue there. I'm hoping after finishing this book I can get up to 48 and just go take the test. If not, I may move on to MGMAT practice tests and the GMATClub tests.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I've taken a break from studying. We had our second child two weeks ago :) I started practicing again a couple of days ago. I did three MGMAT tests online and scored 48, 47, and 46. I swear those tests seem harder than GMATPrep. It is cool how it shows in the review what level the questions were during the test. Maybe the reason they seem so hard is that the majority of questions are 700-800 level!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
One thing that bothers me about MGMAT test is that if you start out good you are in the 700-800 level after 2 questions. In GMATPrep, it seems it takes 4 or 5 questions before you start getting the tougher questions. I'm hoping this practice will be enough to get me to >=48.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance/Economics
Schools:Chicago Booth
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Analyst: Big Four U.S.
WE 2: Senior Consultant: Big Four Taipei
Send PM
jpr200012 wrote:
I've taken a break from studying. We had our second child two weeks ago :) I started practicing again a couple of days ago. I did three MGMAT tests online and scored 48, 47, and 46. I swear those tests seem harder than GMATPrep. It is cool how it shows in the review what level the questions were during the test. Maybe the reason they seem so hard is that the majority of questions are 700-800 level!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts