Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Great GPA. Low GMAT (Particularly quant) [#permalink]
I have just been to the open day for RSM (Rotterdam) and their average GMAT is 640 so you're not much lower than average and you might have a chance if you really focus on your essay. How many years of WE do you have? The minimum is 3 but for a good chance they recommend to have at least 4 years. It is a very international program (as most European programs) even maybe too international. The last year's class only have 2 Dutch out of 100 students.

Regarding your GMAT, are you thinking of maybe having a tutor or subscribe into GMAT courses if you ever retake again? Maybe it will help. I am guessing it's probably only your time management when doing the questions. Maybe the time constraint made you panic?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have 4 years work experience in pre-sales and engineering design. During the course of 4 years I have worked on high budget projects providing electrical designs and proposing electrical products from brands like Eaton, Schneider Electric for various commercial and industrial projects.
Thanks for that info, I didn't RSM's avg was 640. RSM is definitely on my list of schools. I have just taken my second attempt GMAT on Monday. At this point, I don't know if i have the energy or the resolve to sit and study again. I work 11 hrs 5 days a week. Only time i get to study is during the weekends.
Time management is always a problem in Math. I keep thinking if I have more time I know I can solve the problem.
If I do decide to retake, you're right, I 'll probably need take some GMAT quant classes =/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
If you are not planning to apply this cycle, I would take more time to practice gmat till May/June and give it one more try. Graduating with 3.9/4 GPA from engineering is impressive, but low quant score on GMAT would put the quality of your undergraduate education under question.
I think you can improve from Q39 if you practice a bit more.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
isti wrote:
Hi,

The first time I took GMAT, I scored 530 (Q39, V25). I know I messed up on the verbal because I didn't time myself well.

I decided to retake it and I focused both on verbal and quant while preparing again. However i put more emphasis on quant since I knew I wasn't doing really good on it from what I saw on my practice exams
My second attempt- I scored 610 (Q39, V34).

Now I'm a female electrical engineer, with an undergrad GPA 3.9/4.0. I was among the top 5% percent of my graduating class and I got As on all of my calculus and statistics courses back on school.

So, I'm really confused- why am I performing so badly on quant??
I just don't understand, despite going through all the prep materials, focusing on my weak areas and frequently taking practice exams, I continue to score bad on my quant.

My target schools are Rotman, Schulich, Rotterdam. Their average GMAT is around 650 and I'm 40-60 points lower.

I was wondering, if my good performance on my undergrad calc and statistics courses will help to leverage the low quant GMAT score?

The honest answer is that "you can't leverage a low GMAT". And since we are a few months away from application, and you have the time, really the only option that makes sense is for you to continue studying and get a higher GMAT. With your 3.9 it's obvious that you are very intelligent, and I'm sure you can do better on the GMAT. So don't put yourself at a disadvantage. Retake.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
isti wrote:
Hi,

The first time I took GMAT, I scored 530 (Q39, V25). I know I messed up on the verbal because I didn't time myself well.

I decided to retake it and I focused both on verbal and quant while preparing again. However i put more emphasis on quant since I knew I wasn't doing really good on it from what I saw on my practice exams
My second attempt- I scored 610 (Q39, V34).

Now I'm a female electrical engineer, with an undergrad GPA 3.9/4.0. I was among the top 5% percent of my graduating class and I got As on all of my calculus and statistics courses back on school.

So, I'm really confused- why am I performing so badly on quant??
I just don't understand, despite going through all the prep materials, focusing on my weak areas and frequently taking practice exams, I continue to score bad on my quant.

My target schools are Rotman, Schulich, Rotterdam. Their average GMAT is around 650 and I'm 40-60 points lower.

I was wondering, if my good performance on my undergrad calc and statisitcs courses will help to leverage the low quant GMAT score?

As mentioned above, definitely retake it. For someone with a 3.9, I am convinced you can figure out the test. Given your performance on it so far, I recommend you look into tutoring. If you would like to discuss those options in more detail, send me an email: scott@personalmbacoach.com. I predict there are a number of tricks you could benefit from learning. Once you learn how to better navigate the test, combined with your academic ability you should be able to improve.

Best,
Scott
GMAT Club Bot