Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Guidance/Advice requested [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Although you are disappointed with your latest GMAT, you can improve your score.

I have some questions for you:

1) What is your GMAT score goal?
2) To which schools do you plan to apply? What are their application deadlines??
3) How did you prep for your GMAT? Please be specific.
4) Did you take any CATs from MBA.com?
5) Have you always had testing anxiety? If so, have you ever taken steps to figure out why or to fix it?

Based on the answers to those questions, I can provide some more detailed guidance.

Hi,

1. Target is high 600s.
2. I'm interested in UT Austin. I just missed their deadline for part time program. I read that their average score req is 640.
3. I used OG guides (Verbal, Quant), manhattan prep guides for Math and SC, e-gmat verbal, 800score tests, Kaplan Review book, gmatclub tests in the last year and half.
I do Gmatclub practice questions (their daily 8 recommended questions) on a regular basis.
(My accuracy on an avg is 75-80% - gmatclub gives me estimates in the range of 670-710).
(I've been studying since October last year. I took GMAT in January - got 610 and re-took it two days ago.
4. Are you talking about the GMAT Prep software? I took their 2 exams and I got 660 and 640 on those.
5. I have testing anxiety in general but I have not had it so bad until very recently. I can't sleep before the exam.
I don't know how to fix it because I don't feel that anxious on a daily basis - I don't feel that kind of pressure for anything else.

On my recent attempt, I got stuck on one problem for a while and that changed my mood completely. I started rushing on the quant part and I know this did have an impact.
My verbal though - I can't seem to get it to 30s on the actual exam.

I don't think I deserve the score - would like to take it another time but I don't know if that will make any difference. I've exhausted most of the test prep material.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Send PM
Expert Reply
You know - I have worked with many students in your situation. I have a number of thoughts for you, most of which are a bit too complicated/time-consuming to type out on a forum. If you'd like some guidance, I'd be happy to provide some. Would you like to PM me, and we can take it from there?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi dina98,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking or, I'd like to know a bit more about how you've studied so far:

1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) Have you taken any of the CATs from GMAC, MGMAT, Veritas or Kaplan? How did you score on those?

Since applying to (and ultimately attending) an MBA Program requires a significant amount of time, money and energy on your part, you really should make sure that you're applying to Schools that fit your career goals. Rather than think about "what Schools will take me", you should research the Schools that match your wants/needs and then determine what it would take to properly apply to each of those Schools.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi,

1. On and off for about two months(a lot in the last two weeks). (Studied for about two - three months towards the end of last year for the exam which I took in January)
2. eGMAT Verbal, OG guides, Manhattan guides for Quant and SC, Kaplan Review, 800score practice tests, Gmatclub tests
3. CATS from GMAC - I did not take any from GMAC for this specific exam because I used the available two extensively for my previous attempt. (I remember their questions now)
I took CATS from MGMAT and Kaplan last year. This year I used CATS from 800score and gmatclub tests.

I'm clueless at this point. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi dina98,

This is the first time (in this thread) that you've mentioned taking the GMAT previously. That information is especially relevant if, when combined with this recent information, it defines any patterns in your studies/performance. How did you score on that first GMAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. From what you described, it sounds like you did not spend enough time on either attempt. You've also likely developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits'). To raise this recent score 100+ points, you're likely going to need another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study as well as some new practice resources and CATs.

Rich
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Dina98,

It looks like you have private messaging disabled, so I could not respond to your PM. Rich gave you some sound advice above. I have some additional thoughts as well. Feel free to change your PM settings or even email me: scott(at)targettestprep.com. I'll look forward to speaking with you.

Best,

Scott
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi dina98,

This is the first time (in this thread) that you've mentioned taking the GMAT previously. That information is especially relevant if, when combined with this recent information, it defines any patterns in your studies/performance. How did you score on that first GMAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. From what you described, it sounds like you did not spend enough time on either attempt. You've also likely developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits'). To raise this recent score 100+ points, you're likely going to need another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study as well as some new practice resources and CATs.

Rich

Hi,

I'm not sure if my first post was clear. My previous attempt - I got a 610. Q48, V26 in January. I was studying from October while I was working. I took time off(3 weeks) in December and I think I did a decent job studying. I was getting an avg of 34 in verbal on 800score and gmatclub tests. However, that did not reflect on the actual exam in January.

I thought if I got 30s in the verbal practice exams, I must not be so bad, so I took it again this week. I will admit that the number of hours I put in this time was not a lot compared with the number I put in last year. I used to study mostly on the weekends. My score on the practice exams did vary in Verbal. I realized I was getting a few 500-600 level questions wrong sometimes and that is putting me in the high 20s at times. That could explain my performance in the verbal part this time. I was not too surprised that I got a 29.

However, my quant never changed. It's always in the high 40s. Very consistent. (on the practice and the actual exam)
So, I was shocked to find out that I did so terrible in quant on the actual exam.

I would have been glad if I could have at least repeated the high 40s (quant) and at the very least a 30 on verbal.

I'm not sure if I should cancel this 580. Will schools hold this quant 40 against me even though I had a 48 in my previous attempt?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts