Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 15:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 1

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 03:31
This post received
KUDOS
whirlwind wrote:

The interview invite email doesn't mention any last date for scheduling the interview nor does the website mention any such date. What should I keep as the minimum buffer between the interview date and the decision deadline of March 1?

I was talking to the representative managing the interviews and she mentioned that there is no deadline for interview or the receipt of the documents ( transcript / degree certificate etc ). However they would like everything to be completed by Feb 27th so that they can release the results by March 1st.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 3

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
dccubsfan wrote:
And remember, most schools are also looking for fit into the school's culture, Haas especially. That's one of the major components that they evaluate as they read your application - how well your application measures against their four defining principles of their culture. So to build upon the last answer not having all of your data points, you have to consider there's a lot that goes into the evaluation of an application beyond the GMAT or even GPA and work experience.

I've also heard that Haas puts a heavy weight on you effort to know the school. Last year that was one of their essays ("What steps have you taken to learn about the Berkeley MBA program, and what factors have influenced your decision to apply?"). There were rumors that even people with a good application were denied entry on the grounds of not taking steps to know the school.

I visited the campus (have a friend who currently attends) for two days, went to several "off the beaten track" events, such as a corporate recruiting presentation (where I took my time to discuss recruitment with the Haas guy who manages tech recruiting) and a "dean's series" presentation. I also watched another class where the dean himself made a presentation.

It really contributed to my essays, not only to fit my profile to the school but also to mention stuff (such as 'watching the dean talk about xxx' and 'discussing career opportunities and recruitment with xxx, account manager for tech companies') that could make stand apart from the "I did the usual campus visit" candidates.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE: Engineering (Other)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 14

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
misscongeniality wrote:
Just offering up a different perspective to the group. The Haas office is tasked with reading hundreds of applications right now. I know mine clocked in at more than 3,300 words and two staffers have to read it before an interview invite is sent out. Not sure how big Haas's staff is but this round of applications is easily five times the word count of War and Peace--that's about 7,000 pages of personal statements!

If my glimpses at other admissions teams from other fine programs are any indication, these people are still gearing up for the other three rounds of admissions and still doing recruiting and events as well.

It doesn't matter when you get the interview. It's not a professional sports draft. You will not be putting first/12th/240th round draft pick at Haas on your C.V. in the future. There's hundreds of applications to go through and they haven't magically looked at all of them and put the best ones on the top of the pile. Don't bestow them with superhuman powers just because they hold our fate in their hands ;)

I like what trikstr said, you're not out until you're out. There's much better ways to use that nervous energy. Do some holiday volunteering, take a class or find a new hobby. Have interesting things to talk about once you get that coveted interview. Because idle hands Google "Haas rejection rates." Continue to uphold those Haas values I know you all wrote about in your applications. Believe in the power of positive thinking and do something productive instead of staring at your inbox. It's tough but so are all of you :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 09:51
This post received
KUDOS
rohanngupta wrote:
tommytrojan wrote:
Does anyone know if your status changes when they have received your official transcripts after the interview? Or is it perhaps removed as an additional item on your status page?

Same question please :)

When they received my transcripts the request note in my status just disappeared. I also got an email from someone in the admissions office that read ... "Thank you for submitting your official transcript(s). Your application for admission to the Berkeley MBA Program at the Haas School of Business is now complete."
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 23:48
This post received
KUDOS
vsetia wrote:
Does anyone know when the R3 interview invites start going out? or have they started already?

- V

According to last year's, the interview invites started going out nearly 6 weeks after the deadline,ie Jan 18. So I guess it might be sent from March.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
Followers: 1

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 12:41
This post received
KUDOS
whirlwind wrote:
NBN wrote:
whirlwind wrote:
JUST GOT THE CALL!! I'M IN!!

03/20 is the deadline for R1 & R2

Are you sure about this? According to STM3456 below, it is 15th April for R2.

The admitted website states this:

Deposit Deadlines:
Round 1 and Round 2: March 20, 2012
Consortium: March 30, 2012
Round 3: May 1, 2012
Round 4: May 29, 2012

If you accept the offer, you will then be directed to the site to pay your $2,000 nonrefundable deposit. The enrollment deposit will be credited toward your fall semester tuition and fees. Pay the $2,000 deposit either online by credit card or by check made payable to UC Regents.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-21-2011
GPA: 3.77
WE: Information Technology (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 8

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 11:28
This post received
KUDOS
I got a call 40 minutes ago :) I had pretty prepared to not hear anything. Hang tight!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 1

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
nunes wrote:
I got a call 40 minutes ago :) I had pretty prepared to not hear anything. Hang tight!

Good to see some movement. Good luck to all!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call from Stephanie about 10 minutes ago. Yipee!! I had given up hope too but was pretty pumped when I saw the 510 area code on my cell phone :-) Best wishes and fingers crossed for others!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q44 V50
GPA: 3.76
WE: Science (Other)

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 4

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 16:57
This post received
KUDOS
Just received my interview invite today! R3 applicant, located in Boston.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 4

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 06:02
This post received
KUDOS
Got an R3 interview invite today. Based in New Delhi, India. That makes it 5 for 5 :D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2012, 02:01
This post received
KUDOS
pavithrajoshi wrote:
All these days my application status said 'Application under Review', and now it says 'The last application round has passed. Applications are now closed.'

Since I haven't heard from them yet, should I assume this to be a ding?

I'm a Round 3 international applicant.

I doubt it.
Mine says the same thing - and I've been admitted.

My interviewer (off campus) said not to draw too many conclusions from these things because it's a small adcom and they aren't as prompt at sending out status updates at some other schools.

Having said that, I'm getting concerned because a week and a half later I still haven't received an admit letter or admit pack, and with deposit deadline of 3/20, that leaves me mere days to decide (and I basically need to decide by the 15th, because I'm out of the country between then and the 21st, so a) not receiving mail (should admit pack come at that time), and b) not online/ connected (so can't pay the deposit after the 15th)

They're really cutting it close! I do feel it's a bit unfair for them to take 3+ months to review our app, and then give us just days to make a decision - the R2 deposit deadline really should be at some point in April.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 18:46
This post received
KUDOS
whirlwind wrote:
TheSenator wrote:
Question for current Haas Students and Alumni... what is Haas really looking for? I'm going to Tuck, but I'm curious because Haas was the one school that I felt as if they were looking for a certain 'type' of candidate. I reached this conclusion in my interview, when my interviewer kept saying, 'the typical Haas student... this, the typical Haas student... that" Perhaps my observations are misguided, but after getting the DING I'm even more intrigued.

As a new admit maybe I can try answer this one.
I feel that they take their 4 defining principles very seriously and actually try to admit candidates who have shown dedication and commitment towards these 4 principles in their professional and personal lives. My interviewer made the foll statements which also give an idea of the 'typical' Haas student:
1. The Haas student's primary motivation is not money. Obviously money is important but the Haas student is chasing positive impact in society and business and making money is a positive byproduct.
2. (On me asking what is the most under-represented strength of Haas) It is the fact that a lot of the great work done by Haas alumni doesn't get highlighted or celebrated in the media because it is in the non-profit sector. A lot of Haas alums are making amazing innovations and making a genuine difference to the lives of people through their work but because this is all grass-roots work and cannot necessarily be quantified in monetary terms, it gets overshadowed by what can be quantified such as the stratospheric starting salaries of the finance/consulting grads of other schools.

I'll agree to an extent - but Haas is a BUSINESS school. It would be foolish to assume that (most) Haas students are willing to pay over $100,000 for an education to make money as a byproduct of their efforts

If you look at the four principles, Haas is looking for people who seek to innovate - improving both themselves and those around them in a business setting. This can manifest in both non-profit and for-profit arenas (i.e. consulting, tech, finance - where many students end up). They look for confident, smart applicants who are humble enough to realize they always have room to improve. If you talk to most Haas admits and students, you will find that they're full of ideas and want to make an impact in some way. Lots of people from different ethnic/cultural backgrounds with a similar innovative mindset...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 5

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 16:29
This post received
KUDOS
nikheel, I didn't see any super Saturday... the choices were on (1 hr time blocks) and off campus.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 83 [1] , given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

A little late. Actually a lot late but I got dinged in R1. Congrats to those who got in.

I am planning to apply for Fall 2014 now.

Since getting dinged I have started up my own e-commerce venture http://www.laptopskinvault.com (Shameless plug: check it out if you get the chance) and it is going great.

So all those who are fretting over getting in or not don't worry. While B-school will help you it is not the end of the world just be positive.

All the best to those who got in and those who don't. Just remember it is not the end of the world.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 06:08
This post received
KUDOS
Likewise, preparing for the worst but hoping for the best. I'm on the East Coast with a long-term lease ending soon. Hoping to hear back sooner rather than later.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 19:39
This post received
KUDOS
cmf12 wrote:
Good luck at Tuck, it's a great business school as well. What round did you apply? did you submit any other materials while on the waitlist?

I applied R3,...got wait-listed without interview. Took the interview and blew it outta the park,..to the extent that the interviewer told me flat out that he'd highly recommend me. Submitted an extra essay addressing "Why Haas",..I felt it was a very strong essay. Frankly, between the interview and the additional essay I think I just about maximized my chances of getting in off the wait-list. Of course this was all before I got into Tuck, but my curiosity about the Haas result got the better of me,.... which is why I didn't withdraw. Best of luck friend.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
From another board I read a message posted by a R2 waitlister who was accepted last Tuesday (May 22). They said their deposit was due Wednesday, May 30. With R4ers having their deposit (supposedly) due today, I am making an assumption that they're clearing the deck with R1 and R2 waitlisters, waiting for their deposits to get a gauge on their class, and (hopefully) reaching out to the R3 waitlisters after Wednesday.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 23:12
Hi bb

In the Business school guide for Berkeley, there is a link that says -
"kryzak's Kellogg vs. Haas vs. Anderson (Large scholarships at all three schools!)"

When I click on it, it says I am not authorized to view that forum. Why so?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8780 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 23:15
Expert's post
golantrevize wrote:
Hi bb

In the Business school guide for Berkeley, there is a link that says -
"kryzak's Kellogg vs. Haas vs. Anderson (Large scholarships at all three schools!)"

When I click on it, it says I am not authorized to view that forum. Why so?

Thanks for asking!
That was linking to a user's personal profile (in the User Profile Forum that is available on an invitation only basis since it contains personal information of many users). Sorry the link made it in the MBA guide.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Haas Berkeley 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2011, 23:15