Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 22:02 It is currently 08 May 2024, 22:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Harvard - Top 4 Marketing??? [#permalink]
If you are set on marketing, I personally dont see the value of HBS over Kellogg and Wharton. Chances are if you get into HBS you will get into one or both of those and probably with some significant money from many of the schools. HBS is an amazing school and no matter what career its brand will open doors in all industries but from talking with people about marketing careers it seems like Kellogg is by far the highest placer at top level companies with Wharton following (probably due to more folks from Wharton going the traditional IB route), and then Duke.
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
That's a great point. The more research I do, the more I lean towards Kellogg/Wharton. HBS would still be great though becasue of the overall brand recognition.

One slight concern I have is age/we. I'll be 26 with 4yrs WE at matriculation...would that put me at a disadvantage at Kellogg or Wharton? My work experience is 2yrs with a top 5 food cpg company and 2yrs with a smaller food cpg company ($1b).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:
That's a great point. The more research I do, the more I lean towards Kellogg/Wharton. HBS would still be great though becasue of the overall brand recognition.

One slight concern I have is age/we. I'll be 26 with 4yrs WE at matriculation...would that put me at a disadvantage at Kellogg or Wharton? My work experience is 2yrs with a top 5 food cpg company and 2yrs with a smaller food cpg company ($1b).

I think you're at the sweet spot for both schools.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Judging by people who are on the facebook page there are a lot of '04 and '05 for undergrad years. They have a pretty solid distribution, you just dont see the people with no work experience but other than that people do get in.
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
That's good to hear. I feel I'll be competitive with my stats (720 and 3.8) along with my personality (typical outgoing marketing/sales extrovert) but you never know. I'd like to apply to just Kellogg, HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Duke and Ross. I'd be thrilled to get into the top 4 and extremely happy with Duke and then Ross. However, sometimes it seems like such a crapshoot from reading posts on the internet that I sometimes ask myself if I need to apply to a few lower schools as well. Any opinions?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Not to dissuade you but the H/S/W trifecta is extremely tough and its a lot of work. I know I talked to a few people who had a lot of dings this year and they felt they put too much effort into applying to those schools with nothing but a lottery like chance of getting in. I know one who got WLed at some of the top 5s and felt that had he focused on those more he would have been admitted which is very possible. Stanford is nearly impossible for anyone who doesnt have an amazing background.

Schools like Chicago and Columbia will give you lots of opportunities in marketing too. They may not be known for it but the big CPG companies show up and recruit there. If those fit your personality it may be worth replacing H or S with one of them since your chances will be a great deal better.
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Yeah, I've thought about replacing Stanford with Columbia. I recently added Stanford to try and "shoot for the stars" but the more I think about it I feel it may not be be the best decision. I need to do more research on Chicago as well as I tend to think of it as a strictly finance school but I know that's not the case.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
cpgmba wrote:
Yeah, I've thought about replacing Stanford with Columbia. I recently added Stanford to try and "shoot for the stars" but the more I think about it I feel it may not be be the best decision. I need to do more research on Chicago as well as I tend to think of it as a strictly finance school but I know that's not the case.

I think you should definitely consider Chicago GSB for marketing. During my visit, there were several marketing students who commented on Chicago's strength in that area. They claimed that marketing recruiters loved Chicago's students due to the quantitative nature of their marketing program. I'm not going into marketing, but I just wanted to pass that along.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:
Now that I've got the GMAT out of the way, it's time to narrow down my school selection. I'm looking at the top schools, specifically ones with top Marketing programs. Right now, my top 5 are HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, Stanford, and Duke. I've started investigating and doing in-depth research on the schools' programs. US News' recent rankings listed HBS at #4 in Marketing. However, HBS only offers 7 Marketing electives! Kellogg on the other hand, lists 25-30. Am I missing something? 7 electives seems very limited for a top 5 marketing program.

Thanks!

I've attended a few industry and company presentations at HBS and the logic seems to be the following:

Marketing positions (typically CPG) are very GM like (you interact with / manage different deparments in the organization from sales through supply chain)
HBS is a GM powerhouse.
HBS is therefore good for marketing.

Hope it helps. L.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
lepium wrote:
I've attended a few industry and company presentations at HBS and the logic seems to be the following:

Marketing positions (typically CPG) are very GM like (you interact with / manage different deparments in the organization from sales through supply chain)
HBS is a GM powerhouse.

I think the honest answer is HBS is a powerhouse in everything and is good in everything. If you go there doors will be open everywhere.
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
I like your logic!

lepium wrote:

HBS is a GM powerhouse.

Hope it helps. L.

L.
GMAT Club Bot