Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink]
oh my god..if you dont get in I don't know who will :p
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
You have a good profile. It ultimately comes down to crafting compelling essays and having an above average GMAT score (though, this matters to a much lesser extent, I think - with your GPA, it's clear that you're academically proficient). Good luck :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Witvoet wrote:
Mahtab wrote:
wow perfect gpa! How are your internships, extra curric and other leadership involvement?

Thanks! :)

As for extra curricular and work experience:

- I am currently in Beijing, China where I manage a project called 'Green Power Now' to increase the environmental awareness of Chinese High School students
- Currently work on a project that I set up with 5 students and leading strategic consultancy firm to increase the sustainability of the city of Utrecht
- Currently also in board of directors of the IT firm that I did a research project for (see below)
- Some Java programming internships
- Volunteer work 3 years (working with chronically ill children and delivering them 'one day of joy' (freely translated))
- Set up my own research project supervised by a professor to research the market entry barriers a large IT was facing with a new product
- Committee member external affairs of study association 'A-Eskwadraat'
- Summer School in Music Information Retrieval at Utrecht University
- Help organise scientific conference on music information retrieval
- Summer School in Physics and English at University of California, Los angeles

Awards:
- 'Best student science department 2011' -> Invited to participate in 'Bright Student Conference in Lund, Sweden'
- 'Best CEO - Strategic Management Game of Utrecht University'

Unfortunately The Netherlands isn't really much of an 'award' culture. 'Average' is the norm here which is something I seek to change.

Still can't really tell whether this is good or not. What do you think?

How long are you staying in beijing? I am going there in august.. and are you applying during 1st round?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
02163 wrote:
Witvoet wrote:
Mahtab wrote:
wow perfect gpa! How are your internships, extra curric and other leadership involvement?

- I am currently in Beijing, China where I manage a project called 'Green Power Now' to increase the environmental awareness of Chinese High School students
- Currently work on a project that I set up with 5 students and leading strategic consultancy firm to increase the sustainability of the city of Utrecht
- Currently also in board of directors of the IT firm that I did a research project for (see below)
- Volunteer work 3 years (working with chronically ill children and delivering them 'one day of joy' (freely translated))
- Set up my own research project supervised by a professor to research the market entry barriers a large IT was facing with a new product

Awards:
- 'Best student science department 2011' -> Invited to participate in 'Bright Student Conference in Lund, Sweden'

Unfortunately The Netherlands isn't really much of an 'award' culture. 'Average' is the norm here which is something I seek to change.

How long are you staying in beijing? I am going there in august.. and are you applying during 1st round?

Nice! Wow, I got so many tips for you, but as we're supposed to stay on topic you may PM me for them ;-)! To summarize: Prepare for a culture shock. My project ends on August 6 and I'm flying back on August 16.

I am indeed applying for the first round as I really wanted to do this project and thus can't make it to Boston for the summer interview rounds.

I read you're also applying for the first round, good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Witvoet wrote:

Nice! Wow, I got so many tips for you, but as we're supposed to stay on topic you may PM me for them ;-)! To summarize: Prepare for a culture shock. My project ends on August 6 and I'm flying back on August 16.

I am indeed applying for the first round as I really wanted to do this project and thus can't make it to Boston for the summer interview rounds.

yeah good luck to both of us :) I am taking gmat next month too, on the 11th. Guess it's gonna be a lot of work for us before the deadline! Have you got your recommendations yet?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
When's the deadline for the first round? October?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
When's the deadline for the first round? October?

Jup, October 3.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Witvoet wrote:
Mahtab wrote:

LOL unless your a house artist....
SVP
SVP
Send PM
02163 wrote:
Witvoet wrote:

yeah good luck to both of us :) I am taking gmat next month too, on the 11th. Guess it's gonna be a lot of work for us before the deadline! Have you got your recommendations yet?

Try to get the GMAT out of the way as soon as possible. I wanted to give myself enough time to retake before the application should need arise. I think giving yourself that extra window of time will make sure you're not stressing even more about something that you could have mitigated had you planned it out :) Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
02163 wrote:
Witvoet wrote:

Try to get the GMAT out of the way as soon as possible. I wanted to give myself enough time to retake before the application should need arise. I think giving yourself that extra window of time will make sure you're not stressing even more about something that you could have mitigated had you planned it out :) Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I was actually planning on taking it again if my score disappoints me ;-).
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Haha, that's good. :) Why so quiet?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
Haha, that's good. :) Why so quiet?

Thanks for the advice. There are so many things going on and i am a little bit stressed out.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Totally understandable. I was pretty stressed leading up to the submission of my application as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Engineering, English
GPA: 4.4
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
WE 3: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="">www.mbaadcom.com</a><!-- w -->
Send PM
Witvoet wrote:
Mahtab wrote:

Awards:

Getting into the 2+2 program is all about demonstrating maturity, career direction, and leadership. That is what will make you stand out. Not your GPA or your GMAT score. Everyone applying to the 2+2 program had better have a killer GPA / GMAT score anyway because your academic prowess is almost assumed since you're applying at the peak of your academic intellect.

To stand out, you need to show that you're mature, that you understand complex decision making, that you can work with different types of people / in different cultures, that you've made mistakes and have grown from them.

You need to prove that you know what you want to do with your life. Many young applicants play the "youthful naivety" card and write that they want to create for-profit NGOs. Unfortunately, that comes across as being incredibly limited in your breadth of understanding and awareness.

Lastly, you need to demonstrate leadership. No one gets into HBS without demonstrating profound leadership. Don't get me wrong: leadership is not about the number of people you lead; it's about how you lead. Show examples of leadership in your limited professional endeavors or, more likely, your extracurricular activities.

Good luck to all.

HBS Admissions Consultant
hbs.consultant@gmail.com
https://www.hbsadmissionsconsulting.com
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Quote:
Many young applicants play the "youthful naivety" card and write that they want to create for-profit NGOs. Unfortunately, that comes across as being incredibly limited in your breadth of understanding and awareness.

What exactly do you mean by this? Social enterprise goes a different route, doesn't it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Engineering, English
GPA: 4.4
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
WE 3: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="">www.mbaadcom.com</a><!-- w -->
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
Quote:
Many young applicants play the "youthful naivety" card and write that they want to create for-profit NGOs. Unfortunately, that comes across as being incredibly limited in your breadth of understanding and awareness.

What exactly do you mean by this? Social enterprise goes a different route, doesn't it?

Applicants need to be specific when they write about social enterprise. Don't just write about wanting to help NGOs find sustainable sources of funding. That might have been acceptable years ago, but Social Enterprise is no longer unique (in fact, the SEC is the largest club on campus now) and you must be more clear, concrete, and specific when you write your "change the world" essay. That advice applies in general but it applies infinitely more if you're trying to work the social enterprise angle. Was that helpful?

HBS Consultant
hbs.consultant@gmail.com
https://www.hbsadmissionsconsulting.com
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Specificity with respect to social entrepreneurship definitely makes sense. Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  24