Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS 2+2 2014 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2016)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 337

Kudos [?]: 1378 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
HBS 2+2 2014 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2016) [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 21:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The 2+2 Application is to be released soon, so I figured this might be a good time to start a separate thread for the 2+2 applicants. The regular HBS thread is literally overflowing, and though the attention will most likely die soon, it's better to just have a separate thread! So here goes!

HBS Business School Guide

Add Your Name to the List

HBS 2+2 Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2014)

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add HBS 2+2 to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

REQUIREMENTS:

Quote:
To be considered for admission, an applicant must complete the following prerequisites:

* Junior year of undergraduate academic experience, or equivalent
* Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken 6/15/05, or later
* Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) taken 6/15/08, or later, if you are an international applicant attending a non-English-speaking undergraduate university
* Submission of a complete online application for evaluation by June 15, 2010

Essays for 2011's Cycle

Quote:
All application questions below are required.

* Tell us about three of your accomplishments. (600 words)
* Tell us three setbacks you have faced. (600 words)
* Why do you want an MBA? (400 words)
* What would you like the MBA Admissions Board to know about your undergraduate academic experience? (400 words)

Sandy's Advice for Students Applying to 2+2:

hbsguru wrote:
A Shrewd Undergraduate's Guide to HBS Admissions
Published, THE HARVARD CRIMSON,
April 20th 2008

Sanford Kreisberg is the founder of hbsguru.com, a business school admissions consultancy. He has advised scores of Harvard graduates about applying to HBS over the past 10 years . . . .

1. Try to have a high GPA and do not fall for the canard that the admissions committee is aware of hard courses, and will give you a break. They are aware of A, B, and C. They have no idea if Post-Modern Feminist Approaches to Derivative Trading is a hard course or a gut. Take a lot of guts, and use the extra time to explore extra activities. Do not innocently engage in learning for 'learning sake' --although certainly say you do. Do not take introductory Arabic or Chinese because they sound contemporary and important, especially when most kids in those classes will be native speakers looking for guts. Do not take some super-duper math course because it sounds 'interesting.'

2. Try to have a high GMAT, but HBS is not obsessed with this; they are more concerned with your GPA, and will not get too shook up with a 680 or even a 660 GMAT if they 'otherwise love you' and that can apply to even non-minorities. A 720 GMAT is normative, a 750 won't help you as much as you think, and a jumbo 770+ is a nice touch, especially if a keystone of your application is that you are smart or quanty.

3. Be strategic about extracurriculars: try to be a leader. Try to find an issue where you can lead based on interests or identity politics. Think about Miss America, where each finalist has some 'signature' issue like overcoming learning disabilities or improving inner-city education. Get a signature issue of your own. Leading a club based on your ethnicity, personal concerns, diseases, or political ideas is good. Try to be innovative and expand the organization's programs and membership.

4. Be a work in progress. HBS is obsessed with 'transforming' its students, so the persona you should present in your application is someone who is both focused and accomplished, yet open to change. You don't need to be overly interested in business per se; rather, you need to be interested in the intersection of your personal passion, signature issue, or academic interest with the potential social impact. Thus, if you have a passion for biology, you would do better presenting yourself as someone interested in how biology can cure disease among groups a, b, or c, rather than someone obsessed with Biotech companies and their relative stock values. HBS will "transform" you into the latter.

5. For the 2+2? program, which is new, it is better to pretend to be 'out of it' about business than someone who has been obsessed with business ever since your grandfather gave you 100 shares of General Electric for your 10th birthday. HBS is looking for science and artsy kids who otherwise, without HBS's wonderful 2+2? program, never would have thought about business, and would have gone to (gasp) law school. So, be a techie who was happy being a nerd until, poof, 2+2? came along, and then you discovered you could be a business nerd. Think transformation.

6. In your essays, show what makes you tick; the essays are not brag sheets. Don't list what you did so much as account for how you were effective getting others, like professors and other students, to help you. Think Tom Sawyer. Get the others to help you paint the fence. Don't brag about raising money for charity, but explain how you convinced 20 other kids to help you raise money for charity.

Please feel free to let me know if you need me to add anything else. And if you're applying to this round of 2+2, please post below with your stats - GMAT, GPA, Major, and other pertinent things!

Last edited by dzyubam on 05 Sep 2011, 07:49, edited 9 times in total.
Added new roll call
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Kudos [?]: 1378 [1] , given: 194

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 21:46
This post received
KUDOS
Reserved for Future Use
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 19:19
This post received
KUDOS
ChEM3 wrote:
I'll be applying round 1 if I'm satisfied with my GMAT score and round 2 if I need to retest. I just found out about the HBS 2+2 program recently so I am frantically trying to throw together items for an application. Although I am not the best prepared I figure it couldn't hurt to apply anyway...

Best of luck to everyone!

Don't rush the application. And, don't apply if you're not ready. That may not seem like the best advice to give if I'm an application consultant but it's the truth.

The younger attendees of Harvard Business School shared two traits, in my opinion: extreme maturity and crystal clear vision of career path.

If you've got both of those qualities, your chance of admission is better than average. But you need to convey this clearly in your application.

Lastly, I wouldn't say that 'it couldn't hurt to apply anyway'. HBS keeps a record of every applicant. Be certain that a ding one year will hurt you in future years.

HBS Admissions Consultant

HBS Grad
http://www.mbaadcom.com
formerly http://www.hbsadmissionsconsulting.com

1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 08:29
This post received
KUDOS
02163 wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:
02163 wrote:
why are you guys all going to Asia..

Uh .... visiting home? :D

I was also in Africa a month ago. I'll be back in the US in a week though. Sigh. School. Senior Year.

I c. I am going back to Hong Kong in mid august and come back in mid September... Where are you from?

Questions about the motherland! Sent you a PM :)

Quote:
Thanks! Good luck with you too! I know you will get in! I will definitely refer to you if I have questions :P possibly once you get in, alumni connection? haha. Are you finishing off your fourth year this year?

Thank you. If I get in, I'll definitely help as much as I can. I'm done with my third year and will be graduating May 2012.
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Saptak. Yes, me and GooglePlus got interviews. There was also one more girl in the chat who got an interview invite.

rpsingh and toucan: Sorry :(
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
FOR ALL 2+2 INTERVIEW INVITE KIDS. FYI.
THESE ARE FROM YEARS PAST, AND I DONT EXPECT THEM TO CHANGE. Hi Sandy

My interview (for 2+2) was ----. Shes really nice and welcoming!

Questions:

a) How is your summer going?
b) What do you do at work?
c) Are these your own projects or did you become a part of something that was ongoing?
d) What is your dream job?
e) Questions about my boss and his companies (business model)
f) Why 2+2?
g) What risks does 2+2 allow you to take? Give an example of a risk
h) Strengths
i) Weaknesses
j) A misconception about you that people get when they first meet you?
k) A product that you admire?
l) Tell me something about yourself that will surprise me?
m) Anything else?
=============

hbsguru wrote:
HBS 2+2 MOCK INTERVIEWS
http://hbsguru.com/2+2Interviews.html
I DO A LOT OF THEM:

Since the 2+2 program began, HBS has probably interviewed close to 450-500 2+2 candidates in total and I have done mock interviews with close to 20 of them --and that is just the 2+2 program.

Last year, for its regular admission cycle, HBS interviewed 1800 people--I gave mock interviews to over 100 of those 1800 people.

I really know how to do this, read testimonials RIGHT AT BOTTOM HERE
http://hbsguru.com/2+2Interviews.html

Over the past 10 years, I have probably done over 600 HBS mock interviews. My knowledge of how to prepare you for an HBS mock interview is based on those experiences.

I KNOW QUESTIONS TYPICALLY ASKED TO 2+2 CANDIDATES, BOTH US AND INTERNATIONAL--THOSE WHO ARE LIBERAL ARTS MAJORS, SOCIAL SCIENCE MAJORS, AND SCIENCE MAJORS.

1.I know typical HBS questions often asked to 2+2 candidates with summer work experience as investment bankers, venture capital and hedge fund associates, medical and lab researchers, non-profit interns, Washington interns, Obama interns, McCain interns, Palin nannies and sled dog wranglers, interns at Fortune 500 companies, interns at start-ups and kids who started their own companies.
2.I know how to help you formulate your core story in ways which can be applied to many questions.
3.I can predict trouble areas in your application and help you come up with talking points to deal with them.
4.I can sense what your particular needs are in terms of presentation, for example, if you don't get to the point soon enough (a possibly fatal habit) or if you appear too aggressive or too arrogant or confident in the wrong way for often thin-skinned (and just plain thin) HBS interviewers (some of whom are predisposed not to like bankers).
5.I can help you create a back story for your goals which creates a solid platform for Why MBA, Why HBS?
6.can help you prepare a strong answer to the question "Why should we take you?" This questions is often asked in several forms:
◦"What can YOU contribute to case method discussion based on background and experience?"
◦"How will your classmates remember you?"
◦"How have you grown as a leader?"
7.I can calm you down, although that will not be the first thing that happens.
8.I can help you formulate answers to 'ice-breaker' questions such as:
◦"I already know you from your application, just tell me what you think the three defining moments in your life are?"
◦"Pretend I have not read your application and I just met you. Tell me who you are, what you've done, and where you want to be 15 years?"
9.I can help prepare you to face such recently popular questions as:
◦"What is one thing that is not immediately apparent about you to others?"
◦"How would your friends describe you?"
◦"How has the financial crisis impacted you, your friends, your industry and your goals?"
THE PROCESS:THE MOCK INTERVIEW IS DONE BY PHONE.
If you want a mock HBS interview, send me an email to hbsguru.com, telling me when your interview is, what time zone you are in, what days and times are good for you, and attaching a resume. I will reply back w. dates and times, etc. Then you send me a pdf of your HBS application and we set up a time for the interview. Mock interviews take about 60-70 minutes. The price is $350.00 dollars USD. You pay me when we speak and do the interview.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 5

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 21:19
This post received
KUDOS
solb22 wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:
Can we please not swear or be rude to each other? Please don't force me to moderate this thread. Thanks.

Ehy were all adults, we can handle a little swearing. And whiplash how are you even a moderator?

hey solb22, it's better not to use curse words in a public forum! save those for your PMs! and as for how come whiplash is a mod, i think around 2000 posts & more than 600 kudos are enough to make one a moderator!

If you find this post useful, leave a kudos :smile: | GMAT Debrief: 740 in just 1 month with OG only!

1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 18:37
This post received
KUDOS
I think I did pretty okay, overall. The interview was very conversational. It flowed pretty well. Most of the questions were pretty application specific to an extent, yes. She asked me what I did this summer, the previous summer and so on and had follow up questions to the answers I gave. Then it was about my international experiences, proudest moments, some weaknesses/critiques and a few personal questions. I can't really delve too much into detail because they were pretty application specific. But I'd say go prepared with your goals, where the MBA fits in with the goals and know your application really well.

The observer was also taking notes. I talked to both of them though the observer didn't ask any questions.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 17:13
This post received
KUDOS
saptak1990 wrote:
Had a question about the accomplishments and the setbacks essays... which is recommended among the following for arranging the individual stories within the essays?
  1. In chronological order
  2. In reverse-chronological order
  3. According to importance
  4. In any order

Start with a strong accomplishment / your most important accomplishment. Then mix it up between professional / non-professional. Other than that, order really doesn't matter.

HBS Grad
http://www.mbaadcom.com
formerly http://www.hbsadmissionsconsulting.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 5

Re: HBS 2+2 2014 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2016) [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 10:02
This post received
KUDOS
Same here, Sampo. Recommendations etc. are all done; just essays are giving me a really hard time!!

If you find this post useful, leave a kudos :smile: | GMAT Debrief: 740 in just 1 month with OG only!

1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2+2 2014 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2016) [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
spencebe wrote:
I applied Round 3, still waiting to hear back, woooooooo

well, I assume you know they are sending out interview invites on the 17th and 24th, see Dee Leopold's blog.

Quote:
We'll be sending out interview invitations in two waves this round, April 17 and 24. Candidates not being invited to interview will be notified of their release on April 24. Interviews will be conducted only here on campus - no hub city interviews - and by Skype, if necessary. Dates will be May 4, 7, 10 and 11. Note: We hope and expect to see applications from college seniors for the 2+2 Program. We know that you are likely to be in exams during our interview dates. We will make accommodations on a case-by-case basis...so don't worry.

As always, I hope this is helpful.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/m/admissions/blo ... 2012-04-05

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.73
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 21:55
This year is going to be tougher than last year, since all juniors and seniors can apply to this program.

Good Luck!

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 22:11
I asked Sandy about this, and he said that it shouldn't matter (the ratio won't skew, that is), if I remember correctly. But of course, I'm already having application jitters and the application isn't even officially out.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 06:50
whatsup? i am having application jitters too. the website said the application would be up the week of april 11th initially, but they changed it to mid-late April now :(
did you guys give the GRE/GMAT already? what are your scores like?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.73
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 10:43
whiplash2411 wrote:
I asked Sandy about this, and he said that it shouldn't matter (the ratio won't skew, that is), if I remember correctly. But of course, I'm already having application jitters and the application isn't even officially out.

I guess Sandy is not good at math.

Good Luck!

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 11:50
Nah, I think the intention of the program expansion is to include the few seniors admitted into a formal program and not necessarily to divert the attention from juniors to seniors. I have no idea. But at the same time, it seems like Dean Nohria is shying away from younger applicants more and more, so it really comes down to showing a deep resolve for why you want to do an MBA, I guess.

onorenhjin: Shoot me a PM, and maybe we can exchange contact info to talk about the application process?

nw91: Perhaps. :) And yes, I've taken the GMAT. Took it this past December.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 13:05
you bleeding blue gave it away initially. And then I read your entire post about your GMAT prep. you have an awesome score :) Congrats

fyi- Application questions up on the website. Time to start writing the essays. Good luck everyone.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 15:17
Thank you for the heads up! I shall include them in the first post.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 10:13
anyone applying in the early round?
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 05:18
Please feel free to post questions about the 2+2 cycle here instead of the regular HBS thread. It might be easier to keep up with the updates as well. Good luck!!
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014)   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2011, 05:18