Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: Help!!! I am stuck half way to achieve my GOAL (680-700) [#permalink]
You should consider taking Optimus Prep's verbal booster for only $199. This will guarantee a 4 points verbal score improvement or you will get a full refund. Ideally you combine the verbal booster with a few hours of private tutoring and you should see good score improvements.

If you are interested you can take a free 7 days trial account
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Rich,

Thanks for your post. I agree that something must be wrong, but I need to figure out what is it

I am gonna answer your questions, to see if we can find where I am making the BIG MISTAKE

1. Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
No. In every CAT I completed the IR section, but not the Essay. In my 2nd prepartion, I only did the complete exam on the last CAT ( 670).

2. What time of day did you take your CATs and what time of day was your Official GMAT?
I always did it in the moorning, around 10, except the last one that I started at 12. My oficial exam was at 9:15

3. Do you take your CATs at home or do you go to a different location?
I always do them at home

4. Do you do anything during your CATs that is not 'test-like' (skipping sections, pausing the CAT, listening to music, etc.)?
I never pause the exam, or skip sections. What I did that is not “test-like” is:
- A couple of times, I checked my email from my cell phone during the break
- I didn’t take the whole break, which I do on the real exam

5. How long is the ride to the Testing Center from your home?
The ride is around 20 minutes, both times my boyfriend drove me.

6. On the Official GMAT, do you have to rush to finish any of the sections (and guess on a bunch of questions just to finish)? Do you finish any of the sections early?
On the oficial GMAT I had to rush towards the end in both sections
- QUANTITATIVE - The 1st time I had to rush a lot towards the end, and do some blind guessing, on at least 4 or 5 of the last questions. On my 2nd attempt, I managed the time much better, however, I had to guess the last two questions.( I guessed a couple more on the middle of the test, ‘cos I got stucked)
- VERBAL- 1st offcial exam, was a disaster, I did a lot of guessing… and I managed very badly the time. On my 2nd attempt, I did better… but the last Reading, I kind of rush it, and did not answer very confidently… The las 3 questions were 2 CR and 1 SC, the 2 cr I completely guessed ( I did not read the argument), the SC i did some Smart guessing… but I am not sure if I did it right… i had to rush a lot.

What kind of bad habits do you think I have developed? What type of material could help me to beat them, and achieve my GOAL?

Once again, thanks for your time and help Smile

Ams88
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the advice :)

I am starting to apply some of your suggestions, specially pacing and time control, and I am taking off a lot of pressure when practcing with CATs.

Now I am going to start focusing on the reading, to extend my vocabulary and to be able to understand faster the texts.

Thanks again
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi amt88,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define what went wrong on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT - so you were not ready to face it on Test Day (not either time).

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, checking your phone, etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT?" You'll certainly need a new set of practice CATs to work with and you have to put in the necessary time to train your brain (and body) for the FULL GMAT. You might also need to invest in some new GMAT training materials.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Rich!

Thanks for your advice, it really makes sense what you are advicing, so I am going to start doing my practice CATs on real conditions, i'll keep you posted with my improvements.

At the moment, I have 3 MMG's exams left. Once I complete them, which CAT's exams are good training to continue my practice?

What training material you recommend I use?

Thanks again for your help,

Cheers,

Tatiana
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tatiana,

Since it looks like you've worked through the Kaplan CATs and will soon finish with the MGMAT CATs, I suggest that you use either the GMAT Prep CATs (if you have not used all 4 yet) and/or the Veritas CATs. Keep in mind that a CAT is just a way to measure your progress; the real improvement comes from doing practice problems, honing your skills, review, answering past questions using different methods, etc. You should take no more than 1 CAT/week.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot