Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help required on increasing Verbal score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Help required on increasing Verbal score [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 22:29
Hi All,
I have given my GMAT on 10th January 2013 without a dedicated preperation and received 580(Q47 V23). I am planning to dedicate around 2 months for a serious preperation to improve my verbal score to atleast 43. Please let me know if this is possible in a 2 months time. I presently have MGMAT SC, Powerscore CR Bible with me for my preperation (Which i did not touch before my first GMAT attempt). Will mastering the concepts from these two books be enough to get a 43 in verbal.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 103 [1] , given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: Help required on increasing Verbal score [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,

First of all, good luck with your prep! Both of the books that you mention will provide the information that you need to excel on SC and CR. However, it's not just the materials but how you use the materials. So how you organize yourself will be critical. Is there any reason why you're not investing in an RC book?

Also, the verbal section is always testing your ability to read and comprehend whether in the RC, SC, or CR so you would benefit from reading an article from a solid publication (like the economist) every day to build up your reading skills. The important thing when doing these reading exercises is to read for TOTAL COMPREHENSION. Meaning, if you do not understand a sentence then re-read until you do. Be thinking about premises, conclusions, and assumptions of the article and ultimately the main idea (you can keep a spreadsheet tracking the articles that you have read and the main ideas). Look up words in the dictionary. The writing on the GMAT is similar to the writing in these articles. This reading will help you in all areas of verbal and who knows maybe you will enjoy i:)

Let me know if this makes sense!

HG.

PS: Your question about whether it is possible to achieve a 43 in two months - a qualified yes

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Blog and Tutoring: http://AtlanticGMAT.com

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set and some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Help required on increasing Verbal score [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 08:03
Thanks a lot for your wonderful wishes and reply. I will definetly follow your suggestion and start reading economist, Harvard business review etc. Articles
Expert Post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: Help required on increasing Verbal score [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 08:32
Expert's post
It's my pleasure. Best of luck!

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Blog and Tutoring: http://AtlanticGMAT.com

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set and some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Help required on increasing Verbal score [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 13:00
HerrGrau wrote:
Hi,

First of all, good luck with your prep! Both of the books that you mention will provide the information that you need to excel on SC and CR. However, it's not just the materials but how you use the materials. So how you organize yourself will be critical. Is there any reason why you're not investing in an RC book?

Also, the verbal section is always testing your ability to read and comprehend whether in the RC, SC, or CR so you would benefit from reading an article from a solid publication (like the economist) every day to build up your reading skills. The important thing when doing these reading exercises is to read for TOTAL COMPREHENSION. Meaning, if you do not understand a sentence then re-read until you do. Be thinking about premises, conclusions, and assumptions of the article and ultimately the main idea (you can keep a spreadsheet tracking the articles that you have read and the main ideas). Look up words in the dictionary. The writing on the GMAT is similar to the writing in these articles. This reading will help you in all areas of verbal and who knows maybe you will enjoy i:)

Let me know if this makes sense!

HG.

PS: Your question about whether it is possible to achieve a 43 in two months - a qualified yes

Nice points. Obvious but understated.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: Help required on increasing Verbal score   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2013, 13:00