Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [14]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Re: How I cracked the SC questions (Verbal 44 / GMAT 760) [#permalink]
snehil wrote:

Advantages of the approach
- Significantly improved my accuracy on SC
- I did need to take any additional content to prepare for SC
- I was able to reduce the time required on SC questions to 45-60 seconds (for the easy ones at least) - hence was able to devote more time on RC section, and improve my accuracy

I got a 44 on verbal, and a score of 760 overall - and I was down with flu on the day of the exam - so the method works like a charm :)

Hope this helps those trying to master SC - cheers! :)

Hi Snehil,

Thanks for your inputs, When you say improve just wanted to know what kind of improvement was this as compared to your earlier accuracy, did you consider SC as your weakness earlier? How about mocks? What was the difference between the first mock and actual GMAT.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
When I first took the GMAT diagnostics - my score on SC was above average, but lower than for all other sections.

What I realized was that conversational fluency in English could actually become a disadvantage in SC - especially as a lot of the difficult questions specifically targeted colloquial mistakes.

Of all the GMAT verbal sections - sentence correction is the easiest to improve upon, no matter where you start from - simply because it is all about internalizing the concepts - and after that - it becomes like solving a math problem - with its own set of rules, and little room for subjectivity.

PS: I still cherish what I learnt for SC preparation - I think my mails have definitely become more coherent :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi Snehil,

Thanks for your valuable tips and congrats on your score!

I had a couple of questions -

Quote:
As you study through the Manhattan SC guide - you would find 'tips' on each page highlighted in a box -

1. Which edition of Manhattan SC book did you use ?
I have the 5th edition. I don't see the tips in the pages.

2. Did you memorize the whole Idiom list given in the chapter on Idioms (Chapter 9 in 5th Edition) ?

3. Did you also do the chapters after Idioms - Odds & Ends, GM/S-V/Parallelism: Extra, Pronouns & Modifiers: Extra, Verbs & Comparisons: Extra ? Were these useful in your preparation ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
1. I had used 4th edition. The tips were essentially key information snippets placed on the left hand margin of each page - basically these were the key take aways - and so useful notes material. You could very well create your own notes - important thing is to internalize the concepts and not memorize them - and that will only come through practice, and repeated use of all the acquired information.

2. I did not memorize any idioms, nor did I do any of the advanced chapters. For idioms, i backed myself based on my reading habit.

I forgot to mention one final tip. For all my SC questions - I worked on the basis of elimination. I first read the question, and quickly identified the errors. Then, I eliminated all other options that had the same mistake(s). More often than not - I was left with only to options - and it became very easy to arrive at the right answer thereafter. SC questions are too long for you to read all the options - so in my opinion this is the best approach to solving the problems. Of course, how well you are able to identify the error in the original sentence without having to look at the options depends on how well you have prepared, that brings me back to the point of internalizing the SC concepts first.

SC is one section where you can have dramatic improvements if you keep at it - so keep at it ! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
ST2014 wrote:
Hi

I followed a very simple strategy for cracking the sentence correction questions.

Step #1 Diligently study the Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction Guide

I first studies all the chapters until the start of the section on Idioms. This included
- Taking notes for each chapter
- Solving all the questions at the end of the chapter - with notes for why I got questions wrong

Step #2 Make post-it notes for most common rules / idioms - stick to your study desk wall

As you study through the Manhattan SC guide - you would find 'tips' on each page highlighted in a box - I wrote the most important ones down on post it notes - and pasted it on my study desk wall. This helped me internalize the concepts

Step#3 Start solving the OG questions

Only after I finished the Sentence Correction guide, did I start with the questions on OG. I took sets of 15 questions at one go (timed myself for 30 minutes) - and then reviewed ALL the questions - the ones that I got right to evaluate whether my reasoning was correct, and what other clues I could have used; the ones I got wrong to evaluate where my understanding was at fault.
Note that since I had completed the SC guide first, I had an idea of all the rules while attempting questions - and was able to solve / understand the solution for a SC problem using multiple techniques. It also helped reinforce what I had studied through on the SC guide

Step#4 Attempt the Verbal OG questions

This is totally worth it - do buy the Verbal OG if you can. I used the same technique of taking 15 questions in a batch timeboxed into 30 minutes - and diligently reviewed each of my questions

Step #5 Retake the OG and Verbal OG questions

This might sound silly - but I retook all the questions one more time - this time focusing on answer questions as quickly as I could, while at the same time, diligently reviewing all my answers. This really helped me internalize all the concepts, and gain tremendous confidence in my ability to solve SC questions

- I was able to reduce the time required on SC questions to 45-60 seconds (for the easy ones at least) - hence was able to devote more time on RC section, and improve my accuracy

I got a 44 on verbal, and a score of 760 overall - and I was down with flu on the day of the exam - so the method works like a charm :)

What about RC and CR?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
deepsanku wrote:
ST2014 wrote:
Hi

I followed a very simple strategy for cracking the sentence correction questions.

Step #1 Diligently study the Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction Guide

I first studies all the chapters until the start of the section on Idioms. This included
- Taking notes for each chapter
- Solving all the questions at the end of the chapter - with notes for why I got questions wrong

Step #2 Make post-it notes for most common rules / idioms - stick to your study desk wall

As you study through the Manhattan SC guide - you would find 'tips' on each page highlighted in a box - I wrote the most important ones down on post it notes - and pasted it on my study desk wall. This helped me internalize the concepts

Step#3 Start solving the OG questions

Only after I finished the Sentence Correction guide, did I start with the questions on OG. I took sets of 15 questions at one go (timed myself for 30 minutes) - and then reviewed ALL the questions - the ones that I got right to evaluate whether my reasoning was correct, and what other clues I could have used; the ones I got wrong to evaluate where my understanding was at fault.
Note that since I had completed the SC guide first, I had an idea of all the rules while attempting questions - and was able to solve / understand the solution for a SC problem using multiple techniques. It also helped reinforce what I had studied through on the SC guide

Step#4 Attempt the Verbal OG questions

This is totally worth it - do buy the Verbal OG if you can. I used the same technique of taking 15 questions in a batch timeboxed into 30 minutes - and diligently reviewed each of my questions

Step #5 Retake the OG and Verbal OG questions

This might sound silly - but I retook all the questions one more time - this time focusing on answer questions as quickly as I could, while at the same time, diligently reviewing all my answers. This really helped me internalize all the concepts, and gain tremendous confidence in my ability to solve SC questions

What about RC and CR?

How did you crack GMAT RC and CR?

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 916 [0]
Given Kudos: 911
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
ST2014 so you mean we don't really need to practice from resources other then OG? Is it ok for non-native speakers?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts