Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [6995]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [237]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [76]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [51]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Re: How to get 6.0 AWA on GMAT ....my guide [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
navy01 wrote:
to add to chineseburn, veritas tells you in paragraph #5 (before conclusion and after 3rd point) to add what would have made the arguement issues stronger (analyze the arguement) or to criticize your own arguement (issues question). They say to write 6 paragraphs.

I include this in the conclusions.
5 or 6 paragraphs doesn't matter as long as the word count is there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [26]
Schools:Life
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Great stuff chineseburned, much obliged!!!!!!
If you have any additional material that might be useful kindly post it...although your guide looks sufficient :-).
+1
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [14]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Kudos
The only addendum I would add here is that you do not necessarily need to make 3 points. I made 2 points on an essay and still got a 6. If you don't make 3 points, though, make sure you write a lot about the 2 points. Word count is important, i think.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [23]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
to add to chineseburn, veritas tells you in paragraph #5 (before conclusion and after 3rd point) to add what would have made the arguement issues stronger (analyze the arguement) or to criticize your own arguement (issues question). They say to write 6 paragraphs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [20]
Schools:Oxford
 Q50  V49
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks mate. The structure part of your guide was very helpful.

I didn't read past section 3, and it was good enough to take me from a 4.5 in late 2003 to a 6.0 a few days ago (I'm surprised they churned out a score that fast!). Unfortunately, that is only an 87% now... :(

My conclusion paragraphs were very short too, and my intros weren't that long either. My three body paragraphs were very long though. Therefore, if I have anything to add to this for other test takers, it is literally restate the argument/issue and take a position and move on. Don't bother with fluff and save that for the body, as that seems to be what they are looking for. Same with the conclusion. A couple sentences seems to suffice (i.e., don't restate anything, just say for the reasons stated above).
Knewton GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [20]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: AWA, Personal Statements, Sentence Correction
Schools:BA Amherst College, MFA Brooklyn College
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
We recommend that students write 5 paragraphs.

Here is the breakdown:

1) Intro paragraph. State succinct thesis with specific perspective. Introduce 3 independent points/ideas/examples that bolster thesis. Intro paragraph should be at least 3 sentences.

2) First body paragraph. Introduce paragraph with topic sentence. Unpack first point/idea/example bolstering thesis.

3) Second body paragraph. Introduce paragraph with topic sentence. Unpack second point/idea/example bolstering thesis.

4) Third body paragraph. Introduce paragraph with topic sentence. Unpack third point/idea/example bolstering thesis.

5) Conclusion paragraph. Restate thesis using new language. Quickly touch on three supporting points/ideas/examples. Conclusion paragraph should be at least 3 sentences.

Obviously, this is not the only template that will help improve your score. But it is the one most preferred by GMAT essay-readers—so you would be best served by running your essay through this framework.

I hope this is helpful; please let me know if you have more questions.

Best,

Josh@knewton
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3284 [13]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GPA: 3.63
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
It is one of best guidelines ever i have seen....
Attachments

700 strategies.doc [34 KiB]
Downloaded 5864 times

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [10]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
navy01 wrote:

I used verita for the essays, too....
In fact, I was most nervous about the AWAs then anything else.
I skipped paragraph #5 in the verita guide since the it leaves me too little time to proof read.
Anyways, just received my score today and got a 5.5, good enough.

I'd say probably the only good thing verita guide for is the AWA.....
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [9]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
typhoidX wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new here & I'm glad I finally found an AWA thread. My appreciations to the author of this guide, it is very helpful. However, I have a few questions about AWA that was not covered:

1. Does anyone have suggestions on the use of common abbreviations and acronyms (as a time saving method)? Would the computer rater grade such usage as spelling errors?

Example 1: I want to replace the word "and" with the symbol "&".
Example 2: If I am writing about small and medium enterprises, instead of writing out the whole phrase "small and medium enterprises" every time I refer to them, I would like to write out the complete phrase the first time, followed by an acronym in parentheses, and write ONLY the acronym in future uses.
Preferred usage - "An effective strategy for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) would be... Therefore, by doing..., SMEs can successfully..."

Good questions!
Do not use & instead of and and do not use "don't" - these are not considered proper writing rules.
The safe approach is not to use any contractions on the GMAT, even such as I'm, and instead write I am.

typhoidX wrote:
2. Does AWA affect the overall score (on the 200-800 scale) in anyway? How important is the AWA section?

If these questions were already asked/answered in other threads, it would be great if someone pointed me in that direction. Thanks for advance for any help given.

No, AWA has its own grading scale - 0 - 6 on a 0.5 scale.
It does not affect your GMAT Score and is reported separately.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS, Wharton, Columbia, Kellogg
 Q49  V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
THANK YOU! got a 6.0 and didn't study very much for AWA which was key considering i needed every second to study for verbal. all thanks to your guide!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [4]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
murdoc wrote:
Can someone use the exact words of the example above, or a little modification must be made?
In other words, if 100 people put the same templates, is there some kind of constraint from GMAT to do this? Will the scores be low? Or at least If I create my own template, can I use it over and over the same if I retake the test? Will the later scores be low? How the raters see that?
Are my essays send to business schools? Or just the score?

I don't think there are any issues with using the same template over and over by everyone. Why not? It does not say anywhere you can't do that.
The essays are sent to the business schools but they are used rarely and only to verify that your application essays have been written by you. Few of the schools outside of top20 review them.
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [8]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos