Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How will application increase affect us?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How will application increase affect us? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 12:41
The word is that most schools have seen a significant increase in applications this year over last year. GMAC is reporting a small increase of GMAT volume, but not a significant increase. I spoke with an Admissions director recently and asked him about this phenomenon. He agreed that it probably has a lot to do with people applying to multiple schools.

How do you all feel that this will affect admissions? Do schools just accept a large pool and take the yield hit, or do they follow their typical admissions protocol and pray that they have picked a good (interested) bunch? Will final rounds/wait lists be easier in some schools and near impossible in others? Thoughts?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 12:51
Lots of waitlisting.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 12:51
Higher competition! These days everyone from India and China wants to goto H/S/W/K!
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 13:02
Not really. No school is going to admit more than a small x% of students from the same international demographic.

sm176811 wrote:
Higher competition! These days everyone from India and China wants to goto H/S/W/K!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 13:30
lhotseface wrote:
Not really. No school is going to admit more than a small x% of students from the same international demographic.

sm176811 wrote:

I think it does increase international competition, especially from the over-represented countries because thats where the largest increases in application volume have come from. This roots from the fact that GMAT test taker volume has also risen internationally much more so then domestic volume. As far as domestic competition is concerned we may see some small decrease in % domestic student body, which will increase the level of competition slightly. However, this maybe off-setted by the increase in class size that several top schools have seen in recent years.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 14:09
I haven't seen the evidence that could peg this increased volume squarely with international applicants. Does anyone have concrete data on this?

I posed the question of applications up/down to many admissions directors and they have all said up 33% to 50% but have not used international applicants as part of their explaination. I asked if that meant yield was going to be down and they look as if that is the most foreign concept they have heard.

Does this mean there are genuinely more applicants across the board? Perhaps. But either way it is going to be harder to get into B-School this year than the year before, regardless of where you are applying from.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 14:22
Do the GMAC numbers include international exams?

If it does, then I think that ppl are applying to more schools per person is very sound reasoning. Then waitlisting and delayed admissions will definitely be common this year.

But I think there definitely should be an increased number of international applicants from the likes of india and china since their economies are booming more than ever.

I would love to see some real hard stats regarding admissions this year...
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 17:49
lhotseface wrote:

sm176811 wrote:

If there are larger number of people from Country X applying (and assuming all of them have similar profiles) it will be more difficult for people from X to differentiate themselves from the other applicants!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 18:19
I've heard the theory that "flat GMAT volume" might indicate that people are applying to more schools. But I wonder what would cause people to apply to more schools? That's as plausible as saying that more people are taking the GMAT, but each individual is taking it fewer times and applying to fewer schools, which would also makes sense in a flat-GMAT increased-application year.

Hope that made sense. What I'm getting at is I haven't heard any good explanations for the surge in applications.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 15:59
The surge in applications may also reflect that more and more applicants are ONLY applying to top programs. I'd be interested to see if applications are up at many schools outside the top 20.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2007, 16:38
philkriger wrote:
The surge in applications may also reflect that more and more applicants are ONLY applying to top programs. I'd be interested to see if applications are up at many schools outside the top 20.

WashU Stl (~26) told me applications were *double* from last year.
  [#permalink] 23 Feb 2007, 16:38