Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have read many RC primary purpose / main point questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -7 [4] , given: 17

I have read many RC primary purpose / main point questions [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
I have read many RC primary purpose / main point questions and found that there is a trick about these kind of questions. I am sharing my experience hope to have your ideas about it.

Actually almost all of RC passages have one primary purpose question. If you look at these questions within the OG/PREP passages and compare them with each other you can find that most of them follow this pattern:

First check the answer choices and find out the key element of each choice. Consider these words which i have taken from PP questions of the passages:

rc-naked-mole-rates-let-s-discuss-the-best-rc-strategies-32552.html

*state a conclusion /introduce information/qualify the extent / show the chain / demonstrate that

http://www.litesee.com/verbal/verbal/re ... sage56.htm
* argue against/ compare and contrast / provide example /suggests that theories /summarize a number of

prior-to-1965-geologists-assumed-that-the-two-giant-rock-32112.html
* evaluating a method /discussing explanations /examining the assumptions /questioning the validity /presenting evidence

manufacturers-have-to-do-more-than-build-large-manufacturing-133422.html
* point out the importance /show that/ argue that / suggest that / explain why  

So, this is my solution for PP questions:

1.After reading the passage. First take a look at key words of each PP answer choice. this may take 10 sec.

2. think that why the author has written the passage?
you can make questions with keywords such as:
Is he discussed something? has he made an argument? Does he has a suggestion? Is he evaluated some theory? ...

3. easily you can eliminate some choices and if there are 2 options then read the whole statement of answer choice. (10 sec)

4. Finally , before selecting the right answer choice you must read the whole statement avoiding to fall in the traps of the choices as GMAT likes to trap you.
(10 sec)

I have practiced this method through many RC passages of OG 10,11,12,13 , V2.0 and PREP. In 90% of questions it works for me . In other 10% I had vocab problems with keywords!.

Keep your eyes on the prize: 750

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
I have read many RC primary purpose / main point questions   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2012, 07:12