Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: i scored 560 in gmat [#permalink]
Kudos
prac wrote:
Hi
I had the same experience yesterday. I was diligently studying since 5 months and finally ended with something unexpected . Yesterday I was feeling that I m dumbest on this earth whocan not get success in life . I don't know what to do know ?????

Posted from my mobile device

I again suggest not to make a comment about your poor display or your hardwork before going through the success stories here. You can do it man!!!

Check this out you two.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-reta ... 83339.html
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
arghya05 wrote:
i dont know what to do
i studied for 1 year, did 1000 sc ,cr og (each and every problem twice)
did Manhattan gmat(6 test + all the books)
took a leave ,studied for 10 hours a day
i dont have anything to do ,i think i am a dumb person who is worthless to any mba from big school

quant(46) verbal(22)

In gmat verbal i didn't understood anything in verbal,could not read cr sc or rc properly
i need help
in Manhattan test is scored (650) and gmat prep (590.720.740)
i did everything possible for a human

First off, one year is too much time. It's likely that you've forgotten what you learned in the first part of your preparation schedule. I suggest clearing your head for a week or two and retaking the exam. I might be mistaken but it seems like you have approached this test with a brute force method rather than analyzing your weaknesses. So I strongly suggest putting your past preparation behind you and starting afresh. Don't feel dejected at all! 560 is still above the national average and a 46Q is a great score. You just need to improve on verbal.

I am assuming you're a non-native speaker. So start out with MGMAT SC. Take notes. Make sure you're completely thorough with each and every type of SC question. I only say this because this part is easily masterable. Once you're done with that, maybe THEN you can go through the OG and perhaps, 1000SC if you feel like it.

For CR: Start out with Powerscore CR. The book has received excellent reviews and it's comprehensive in the sense that it covers everything from scratch.

For RC: This is something you can only achieve by practice. My advice is to jot down notes regarding the nature of the passage.

You just need to make sure that you're reading and absorbing the key content and message of the passage without wasting time on it too much. I've heard conflicting opinions, but I feel like the RC part is the one where you can actually get away with a lot of right answers without too much of preparation as long as you ask yourself the following when you look at the passage:

1. What is the overall message?
2. What is the first para trying to convey? The second? The third?
3. What is the conclusion?

Or perhaps, you can take a class and improve upon these areas if you feel like you're missing the mark even then. Your GMAT Prep score is likely to be + orr - 30 from the actual score.

Hope this helps. Kindly check out other Verbal threads in the verbal forum. You'll greatly benefit from the combined knowledge of everyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
i need some help,today in verbal i could not recognize any pattern,please help me to start my preparation fresh

1 i have given 25 gmat club test and i was averaging (28+) in last 5 test

How to improve in verbal.please give me a detail plan
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
I just did, arghya. What more did you want?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Kudos
arghya

For verbal start off by attacking SC questions. It is easiest to improve your accuracy on SC questions after a short period of time. Get yourself a copy of the Manhattan SC guide. It's the best book out there and you will be surprised by the effect it has on the way you look at SC questions.

The CR and RC portions of the test are more difficult to improve...

For, CR get yourself a copy of the Critical Reasoning Bible. The book is comprehensive and has details on all the types of critical reasoning questions you are likely to encounter in the GMAT.

Lastly for RC I'd suggest you read through all the passages in the Official Guide & the Verbal Review and analyze each one of them separately. Develop a framework to analyze RC passages.

- What's the main idea and purpose of the passage ( Is it a competing idea passage / Is it an explanatory passage / etc.)
- What's the structure of the passage ( E.g - Passage One: Intro; Passage Two: Further Details; Passage Three: Flaw etc.)
- Be on the lookout for portions where there is a change in the line of thought (e.g - generally words such as 'However', 'On the contrary', 'In contrast', 'On the other hand', 'Yet', 'Nevertheless', 'But' etc. will signal a change in the line of thought).
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MS -IS
Schools:CMU, Kelley
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
arghya,

It is obvious that your quant is pretty good. Come on, you are scoring 46.So you are definitely not dumb :) .

Give another try with verbal as suggested by the experts here.

Take care and keep the motivation levels up.
All the best !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
i have exhausted manhattan,kaplan, gmat club(25 test), gmat prep tests
i do not have any new test ,what to do
this time i decided to concentrate on only tests in verbal
i completed mgmat sc guide
is powerscore sc guide needed
how is newton ,online classes
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
in gmat verbal i didn't understood anything in verbal,could not read cr sc or rc properly
i need help

What do you mean by "could not read CR SC or RC properly"? you didn't "see" the answers or you actually couldn't understand the language? For the latter i would recommend maybe brushing up on English, in the case of the former is there anything that stood out as particularly confusing to you?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Since you have scored 700+ in the practice tests, you certainly have a good grasp of the material. However, how were your nerves during the actual test? It is possible that due to nervousness, you weren't able to do well on the verbal portion of the test.

GoMannschaftGo wrote:
in gmat verbal i didn't understood anything in verbal,could not read cr sc or rc properly
i need help

What do you mean by "could not read CR SC or RC properly"? you didn't "see" the answers or you actually couldn't understand the language? For the latter i would recommend maybe brushing up on English, in the case of the former is there anything that stood out as particularly confusing to you?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts