Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [37]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [7]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: If x > y, x < 6, and y > -3, what is the largest prime number that [#permalink]
Question:

If x>y, x<6 and y > -3, what is the largest prime number that could be equal to x+y ?

My answer:

sorting out inequalities here, simplified form is -3 < y < x < 6

So as per this x not equals y and is less greater than x. As x is <6, largest possible value is 5. Hence largest possible value for y is 4 (as it should be < x). Maximum SUM (x+y) =10 and largest prime possible is 7

As per MGMAT explanation answer is 11. Here is the explanation from the book which doesn't make sense to me:

"The upper extreme for x is less than 6. The upper extreme for y is also < 6 as long as it is less than x. Therefor, x+y must be less than 12.The larget prime number less than 12 is 11".

The part I am not clear here is "The upper extreme for y is also < 6 as long as it is less than x". How it can be ever > 4 as it should be always less than x which in turn should be < 6 ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: If x > y, x < 6, and y > -3, what is the largest prime number that [#permalink]
Kudos
The question does not state that x and y are integers. So x must be less than 6

Make x = 5.999999
Make y = 5.111111

Now x + y = 11.

pbvmba wrote:
Question:

If x>y, x<6 and y > -3, what is the largest prime number that could be equal to x+y ?

My answer:

sorting out inequalities here, simplified form is -3 < y < x < 6

So as per this x not equals y and is less greater than x. As x is <6, largest possible value is 5. Hence largest possible value for y is 4 (as it should be < x). Maximum SUM (x+y) =10 and largest prime possible is 7

As per MGMAT explanation answer is 11. Here is the explanation from the book which doesn't make sense to me:

"The upper extreme for x is less than 6. The upper extreme for y is also < 6 as long as it is less than x. Therefor, x+y must be less than 12.The larget prime number less than 12 is 11".

The part I am not clear here is "The upper extreme for y is also < 6 as long as it is less than x". How it can be ever > 4 as it should be always less than x which in turn should be < 6 ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Strategic Management, International Management
Send PM
Guys,
i have a question here from the MGMAT but I can't understand the answer to the following question :
If x>y, x<6, and y>-3, what is the largest prime number that could be equal to x + y ?
could someone help ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619079 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
whichscore wrote:
Guys,
i have a question here from the MGMAT but I can't understand the answer to the following question :
If x>y, x<6, and y>-3, what is the largest prime number that could be equal to x + y ?
could someone help ?

So we have: \(-3<y<x<6\).

Note that we are not told that \(x\) and \(y\) are integers. Obviously as \(x<6\) and \(y<x\) then \(x+y\) must be less than 6+6=12. Let's check whether \(x+y\) could be equal to the first prime less then 12, so to 11. Now, if \(y=5.1<5.9=x<6\) then \(x+y=11=prime\).

Answer: 11.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
>>>> if x>y, x<6, and y>-3

These conditions just tell you that on the number line, both x and y lie between -3 and 6 and that x is to the right of y:

Attachment:
Ques2.jpg
Ques2.jpg [ 2.86 KiB | Viewed 9987 times ]

>>>>>what is the largest prime number that could be equal to x+y

The maximum value x and y can take is a little less than 6 so their sum must be a little less than 12. The largest prime less than 12 is 11. You can make 11 in a number of ways: (5.6 = x, 5.4 = y), (5.8 = x, 5.2 = y) etc.

They don't say that x and y must be integers. Had they said that, then the greatest sum would have been 7 (4 = x, 3 = y)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1173 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
If y > -3, then x > -3

So we have -3 < x < 6 and -3 < y < 6

=> x + y < 12

To get the maximum value of x+y we have to maximize both x and y in way that y < x

so x can be max like 5.9 and y = 5.1, and this results in (x+y) becoming a prime number as 11 (11 is the biggest prime number < 12)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29936 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
If x > y, x < 6, and y > -3, what is the largest prime number that [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
If x > y, x < 6, and y > -3, what is the largest prime number that could be equal to x + y?

A. 11
B. 13
C. 7
D. 5
E. 2

The key here is to recognize that the question does NOT state that x and y are integers

Given: -3 < y < x < 6

B) 13
Let's first see if there is a way for x + y to equal 13, the greatest answer choice
Since we are told that x and y are each less than 6, there is no way for their sum to equal 13
Eliminate answer choice B

A) 11
Now let's try the second greatest answer choice, 11
Is there a way for x + y to equal 11?
You bet.
If x =5.9 and y = 5.1, then x + y = 11

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Kudos
We have, -3<y<x<6 and x & y can be any real number integer or non-integer.
max (x+y) should be < 6+6<12
so largest prime number equal to x+y = 11
i.e. x = 5.9 and y = 5.1, x+y = 11

Answer: A
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
x > y, x < 6, and y > -3, what is the largest prime number that could be equal to x + y?

x < 6
=> Largest value of x can be very close to 6
Lets say x = 5.9

Now x > y and y > -3
=> y can be maximum equal to 5.8999

To make x + y largest prime number we can start by making x + y integer
=> y = 5.1
=> x + y = 5.9 + 5.1 = 11

We cannot get a bigger integer value of x and y as x < 6 and x > y

So, Answer will be A
Hope it helps!

Watch the following video to learn the Basics of Inequalities

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts