Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If you spend $96 and a book stores sells all of its books

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Foster '16 (A)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

If you spend $96 and a book stores sells all of its books [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 11:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (03:30) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 9 sessions
Hey guys can someone help me with the answer to the question attached. I took this test on status prep and I am not able to understand how to reach to the correct answer.

Here is the question -

If you spend $96 and a book stores sells all of its books for the same price, how much does a book currently cost if you could buy 4 more books if the price were to drop $2?
Correct answer: A)
You chose: B)

A) 6
B) 8
C) 12
D) 16
E) 24
Attachments

Question_To_check.png
Question_To_check.png [ 152.84 KiB | Viewed 964 times ]

Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Oct 2012, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9400 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need Help With A Math question [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 12:16
Expert's post
Moving to the PS forum since you will get a better answer/support here. Please post your future Math/Verbal questions in the proper sub-forums.

Thank you!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.35
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need Help With A Math question [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 16:22
If you spend $96 and a book stores sells all of its books for the same price, how much does a book currently cost if you could buy 4 more books if the price were to drop $2?

A) 6
B) 8
C) 12
D) 16
E) 24

The answer can't possibly be A altho I am a moron and factoring this out is racking my brain. Something is wrong here. Ok if the current price is A or $6 then you can purchase 16 books at a total of $96. If the price per book dropped $2 it would then be a price of $4 a book which would enable you to purchase a total of 24 books (96/4=24 and 24-16=8 NOT 4 as indicated in the questions stem) so unless I am misreading this then something is completely wrong. I agree with your answer of B just based on simple math. I just wanted to respond so you wouldn't sit and think you were wrong. You are definitely right. Now had they asked for the price AFTER the drop of two dollars per unit then I would agree with A. Can you please show me how you factored this out because I am going crazy right now. Forget it I'm an idiot I just realized the error in the way I factored it out. Whew I bet I'll never get one of these types of problems wrong again. Thanks!

If you can't be first, be ahead of who's second.

Current Student

Re: Need Help With A Math question [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 19:59
Hey thanks a lot for your reply ! Even I tried solving it both way via the equation as well as putting the variable in choice in that equation. And even I arrived at the same answer as you did. I am assuming that the question is wrong unless someone from Stratus Prep and actually comment and explain the right answer. Two of my other friends also tried solving it and they came up with the same answer.
Once again thank u so much :)
Current Student

Re: Need Help With A Math question [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 20:08
As I review my errors more I get a feeling that that test has some flaws in it. For example one question was repeated twice with restrictions changed but the answer remained same which cannot be the case. Check the attached files. May be someone can help me understand where I am going wrong. Thanks,Meghna
Attachments

Question_1_Reverse.png
Question_1_Reverse.png [ 161.52 KiB | Viewed 896 times ]

Question_1.png
Question_1.png [ 168.2 KiB | Viewed 897 times ]

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 241

Re: If you spend $96 and a book stores sells all of its books [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 21:05
Hi Meghna,

Question no 37 is wrong as none of the answer choices contain the right answer choice which is 31/60. Now if you want to rectify the mistake of Q37, you will get Q1 OR For Q37 to be correct, it should ask " what is the proportion of WOMEN to the total group who own car."

I hope it helps.

I feel the quality of stratus prep is very low (Lot of mistakes).

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: If you spend $96 and a book stores sells all of its books [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 21:26
Meghnasingla wrote:
Hey guys can someone help me with the answer to the question attached. I took this test on status prep and I am not able to understand how to reach to the correct answer.

Here is the question -

A) 6
B) 8
C) 12
D) 16
E) 24

Hi there. The answer you chose (b) WOULD be right if you ignore the last half.
Here are the steps to the problem.

x = Amount of Books Purchased
p = Price of the Books
t = Total Amount spent

With this, you can derive these two equations.

(x)(p) = 96
(p-2)(x+4) = 96

If you foil the bottom equation, you would get this:

px + 4p - 2x - 8 = 96

and since (p)(x) = 96, you plug it in to get:

96 + 4p - 2x - 8 = 96

simplify:

2p - x = 4

single out p to solve for the question:

p = (x + 4) / 2

now, you would plug in the answers.
BUT. remember the "how much does a book currently cost if you could buy 4 more books if the price were to drop $2?" part of the question? That's telling you that the answer choices are all in the (p-2) format.

If you plug it in, you would have to add 2 to the answer choices.

With A, it fits perfectly.

(6 +2) = (x + 4) /2

16 = x + 4

x = 12
p = 8

and now to check:

(p)(x)=96
(8)(12)=96

The correct answer is A.
:)
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 716 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Need Help With A Math question [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 23:54
Meghnasingla wrote:
Hey thanks a lot for your reply ! Even I tried solving it both way via the equation as well as putting the variable in choice in that equation. And even I arrived at the same answer as you did. I am assuming that the question is wrong unless someone from Stratus Prep and actually comment and explain the right answer. Two of my other friends also tried solving it and they came up with the same answer.
Once again thank u so much :)

This is a typical GMAT trick. Please be carefulk while solving for the answer. The question asks for the current price. That is the original price minus the 2 dollars. So when you solve for the original price, you will get the answer as 8. But that price has been dropped by 2$, so the correct answer would be 8-2 = 6$. Which is A

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Current Student

Re: If you spend $96 and a book stores sells all of its books [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 00:00
Ah.... got it now. Thanks so much for the explanation !!

Can you guys please help in solving the other two questions as well.

Q1 - If there are twice as many women as men in a group and an equal number of men and women do not own cars - a group that is 30% of the total. What fraction of the total is men who own cars?

Correct answer: B)

A) 3⁄20
B) 11⁄60
C) 9⁄40
D) 1⁄3
E) 11⁄20

Q2 - If there are twice as many men as women in a group and an equal number of men and women do not own cars - a group that is 30% of the total. What fraction of the total is men who own cars?

A) 3⁄20
B) 11⁄60
C) 9⁄40
D) 1⁄3
E) 11⁄20
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 716 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: If you spend $96 and a book stores sells all of its books [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 02:10
This post received
KUDOS
Meghnasingla wrote:
Ah.... got it now. Thanks so much for the explanation !!

Can you guys please help in solving the other two questions as well.

Q1 - If there are twice as many women as men in a group and an equal number of men and women do not own cars - a group that is 30% of the total. What fraction of the total is men who own cars?

A) 3⁄20
B) 11⁄60
C) 9⁄40
D) 1⁄3
E) 11⁄20

Q2 - If there are twice as many men as women in a group and an equal number of men and women do not own cars - a group that is 30% of the total. What fraction of the total is men who own cars?

A) 3⁄20
B) 11⁄60
C) 9⁄40
D) 1⁄3
E) 11⁄20

Since the question deals in only fractions, we are free to pick smart numbers. Since I see 30% and 50%(equal number of men and women in a group) I'l choose a number which is divisible by 30 and does not give an odd number when divided by two.( Although any number would work just as well). So I'm picking 60 and lets assume the total number of people in the group is 60.

Create a table as below: I'm just highlighting whatever is given in the question in green (My "smart number" is also in green) Rest is filled in accordingly. Similarly Q2 can also be tackled. Hope it helps.

Men Women Total

Car 11 31 42

No Car 9 9 18

Total 20 40 60

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Re: If you spend $96 and a book stores sells all of its books   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2012, 02:10