Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Re: Important tasks to complete before b-school? [#permalink]
Outside/External scholarship applications

Considering cell phone/smartphone options (if your contract is close to being up), including family plans or deals as students to save money
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
- buy a new suit (will probably wait till the summer after i lose a few lbs)
- buy a nice watch
- invest in a new netbook / lightweight laptop (will also probably wait till the summer for this, although for different reasons than above)

re: the kindle - i can see the advantages of having an apparatus like that, although not for b-school. i think you'd be better off buying a lightweight laptop for school
Current Student
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch
- invest in a new netbook / lightweight laptop (will also probably wait till the summer for this, although for different reasons than above)

re: the kindle - i can see the advantages of having an apparatus like that, although not for b-school. i think you'd be better off buying a lightweight laptop for school

Are you investing in a netbook/lightweight laptop as your main computer for b-school or in addition to whatever computer the school recommends?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
LB20 wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch

Are you investing in a netbook/lightweight laptop as your main computer for b-school or in addition to whatever computer the school recommends?

I would recomment AGAINST a new book as your primary computer. I use it to do like simple stuff, but they are slow. Especially after you ad a virus checker and all the other crap a computer runs in the background.
Director
Director
 Q48  V51
Send PM
LB20 wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch

as a main computer, unless my tuition already covered a laptop (not sure which schools do that, if any).

@gobruins - yeah, i probably wouldn't get a low end netbook; i'd get a CULV unit like the asus ul-30a or the acer 1810. there were also other models discussed in the laptop thread in the business school life forum
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch

What kind of watch?

Personally, I'm going to try to hit up some of my area's restaurants. I'd like to check off the top 20 in the area before I leave for b-school. It's a small, albeit delicious, goal of mine.
Director
Director
 Q48  V51
Send PM
bwizzle wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch

What kind of watch?

no idea yet. i've been told that a "nice" watch is a must as an accessory in the business world. i currently only have a bare bones citizen watch... i'll be looking to upgrade that, although i'm not going to go nuts and get a tag heuer or anything like that. actually that's a good topic for a new thread - "advice on what kind of watch to buy?"
Current Student
Send PM
bwizzle wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch

What kind of watch?

Personally, I'm going to try to hit up some of my area's restaurants. I'd like to check off the top 20 in the area before I leave for b-school. It's a small, albeit delicious, goal of mine.

I like this idea...I've sort of created a "bucket list" for my city. Although, it doesn't really go so well with my "I must save $$ before I go into debt" mentality. :-P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
bwizzle wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
- buy a nice watch

What kind of watch?

no idea yet. i've been told that a "nice" watch is a must as an accessory in the business world. i currently only have a bare bones citizen watch... i'll be looking to upgrade that, although i'm not going to go nuts and get a tag heuer or anything like that. actually that's a good topic for a new thread - "advice on what kind of watch to buy?"

Ugh, watches are so heavy. How could you do that to your wrist? Blackberry/IPhone/GooglePhones are also a must-have accessory in the business world and they tell time too. Problem solved. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q48  V38
Send PM
sell house/condo/apartment that you own and cant sustain the mortgage with BSchool...
Current Student
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I'm looking for a dress watch (w/ leather strap) as well.

Out of curiousity, considering the potential flying we might have to do as students, is anyone considering a mileage card?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
Re: buying a kindle, I really don't see any students here that use one for textbooks. For the most part so far, the vast majority of course materials costs have gone towards case packs, which aren't available through Amazon (since they're made up of cases and articles chosen by the professor). For most courses I've taken, the textbook has been optional and I've managed just fine without it.

Re: vaccinations, I don't exactly remember which were required, but I think it was MMR, DPT, and Hep A/B. If you don't have vaccination records, I think most schools will also accept blood test results that show immunity to the diseases. For specific info, you should be able to find your school's health service website which should have info for incoming students.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:UCLA, Ross, Berkeley
 Q49  V42
WE 1: Information Technology
Send PM
unhedged wrote:

I got a Tissot PRC200 with the black strap. Very versatile. It's dressy enough to be paired with a business suit and sporty enough to be worn with jeans and a t-shirt.

Originally posted by topa on 05 Mar 2010, 02:08.
Last edited by topa on 05 Mar 2010, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
Re: buying a kindle, I really don't see any students here that use one for textbooks. For the most part so far, the vast majority of course materials costs have gone towards case packs, which aren't available through Amazon (since they're made up of cases and articles chosen by the professor). For most courses I've taken, the textbook has been optional and I've managed just fine without it.

That's great advice, thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
I have a nice watch already (a movado) and I saw several students with one on campus - so I think that would be fine (they sell them at a good discount on ashford.com). I may invest in a MacBook Air instead of a netbook. It has a little more kick - and is very light / easy to travel with still a slightly bigger screen for spreadsheets :) I have a kindle as well - and while good for books, I think an iPad may be better for textbooks (it has a color screen and several major textbook publishers have started working on apps for it).
Current Student
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
topa wrote:
unhedged wrote:

I got a Tissot PRC200 with the black strap. Very versatile. It's dressy enough to be paired with a business suit and sporty enough to be worn with jeans and a t-shirt.

Do you have a chronograph/black face? I've been looking at Tissots, but the model i wanted has been discontinued (Le Locle w/ Arabic Numerals).
Current Student
Send PM
Hm. Hadn't really thought about the watch thing (I'm a girl). I actually don't wear a watch because I find it annoying when I'm typing (I used to take my watch off in college when I was in the library). I just rely on my blackberry. But I'm thinking that maybe it would be useful...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2