Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
8 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 19
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [8] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 00:20
8
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:39) correct 32% (01:47) wrong based on 295 sessions
In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its total budget on the production of ten albums, 30% of
its budget on the marketing of these albums, and the remainder of its budget on overhead costs. In the same year,
the Song Factory Record Company spent 20% of its total budget on the production of 10 albums and 60% of its
budget on the marketing of these albums. Making Hits sold a total of 800,000 copies of the ten records it produced
in 2003, while the Song Factory sold a total of 1,600,000 copies of the ten records it produced in 2003.

Assuming each company met its budget, which of the following conclusions is best supported by the information given
above?

• The amount of money spent on marketing is directly related to the number of copies sold.

• Making Hits spent more money on the production of its albums in 2003 than did the Song Factory.

• Song Factory’s total revenue from the sale of albums produced in 2003 was higher than that of Making Hits.

• In 2003, Making Hits spent a larger percentage of its budget on overhead costs than did the Song Factory.

• The Song Factory sold more copies of its 2003 albums than Making Hits did because the Song Factory spent a
higher percentage of its budget on the marketing of its albums.



Press kudos if you like this one :)

will post some more similar questions 750+ level :)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 236
Location: India
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 21

Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 01:03
Got it right.Only D gives a clear cut conclusion.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 01:05
Picked C
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 19
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 01:36
@rudransh:
C is irrerelvent .. out of scope..just check once more...
for more clarity ..try my method of solving CR questions at ..

cr-solving-methods-102443.html

i got benefitted greatly

and please give me feedback..about this method 's performance..

n dont forget to press KUDOS..in case u like it:)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 02:06
yup got it ..is D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Posts: 225
Location: Boston
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 5

Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 07:13
harshsingla wrote:
In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its total budget on the production of ten albums, 30% of
its budget on the marketing of these albums, and the remainder of its budget on overhead costs. In the same year,
the Song Factory Record Company spent 20% of its total budget on the production of 10 albums and 60% of its
budget on the marketing of these albums. Making Hits sold a total of 800,000 copies of the ten records it produced
in 2003, while the Song Factory sold a total of 1,600,000 copies of the ten records it produced in 2003. Assuming
each company met its budget, which of the following conclusions is best supported by the information given
above?
• The amount of money spent on marketing is directly related to the number of copies sold.
• Making Hits spent more money on the production of its albums in 2003 than did the Song Factory.
• Song Factory’s total revenue from the sale of albums produced in 2003 was higher than that of Making Hits.
• In 2003, Making Hits spent a larger percentage of its budget on overhead costs than did the Song Factory.
• The Song Factory sold more copies of its 2003 albums than Making Hits did because the Song Factory spent a
higher percentage of its budget on the marketing of its albums.



Press kudos if you like this one :)

will post some more similar questions 750+ level :)


Is this really 700+?

D is clearly the only possible answer, and it doesn't require any reasoning - it's directly stated in the article that Making Hits spent 30% while Song Factory spent 20%.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Joined: 28 Jul 2010
Posts: 13
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 08:40
This is one of those CR problems that's a quant problem in disguise. What they're really asking you to do is crunch the numbers and realize that Making Hits spent 30% of its budget on overhead, whereas the maximum possible that Song Factory could have spent on overhead was 20% of its budget. Because we don't know the actual numbers that those percentages are taken of, we can't compare amounts of money, eliminating A) and B). We don't know the selling price of the albums, eliminating C). And E) suggests a cause and effect relationship that goes to far in reaching for a conclusion. The correct answer, D), demonstrates what is so often true on inference problems: a conservative answer is a better answer.
_________________

Mimi

Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Save 10% on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Status: battlecruiser, operational...
Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 71

Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 10:45
picked D was between D and C so I kinda guessed at the last minute.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 06:19
How can we assume that the cost grouping of the 2 companies are the same, i.e. that Song Factory Company spent 20% of its budget on overhead costs? It is nowhere said so and one has to assume it. For example, it could easily be that Song F.C spent 10% of its budget on overhead and another 10% on sales agents that the other company didn´t have.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 05:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
rait_m wrote:
How can we assume that the cost grouping of the 2 companies are the same, i.e. that Song Factory Company spent 20% of its budget on overhead costs? It is nowhere said so and one has to assume it. For example, it could easily be that Song F.C spent 10% of its budget on overhead and another 10% on sales agents that the other company didn´t have.



Hi,
In any case, Making Hits spent 30% of its budget on Overhead costs..

Song Factory's Production + Marketing = 80%
Even if there are more divisions in the company OverHead costs will be less than 30% only..

I hove this clarifies..

Regards
Sahil
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1726
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 17:28
+1 D

Remember that only we have percentages! We don't know how much money exactly spent each company.
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 818
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 21:17
This issue is number and statistic problem. Easily, we can eliminate all choice except choice D.
_________________

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: May The Force Be With Me (D-DAY 15 May 2012)
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 292
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 21:31
+1 D

Intially went for B but then picked D as percentages were mentioned & not absolute amounts as in B.

Took time deconstructing the question stem :-(
_________________

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 2346
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 01:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Joining Cranfield Sep 2014
Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 65
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 60

Reviews Badge
Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 04:41
VerbalBot wrote:
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.


I choose E and got it wrong, well after reading the discussion, in which every one has marked D as choice, I want to understand why E is wrong. The choice E states that "The Song Factory sold more copies of its 2003 albums than Making Hits did because the Song Factory spent a higher percentage of its budget on the marketing of its albums."

The question is asking on which of the conclusions is best supported by the information given above. Now since the question is asking a conclusion, how can answer be D "In 2003, Making Hits spent a larger percentage of its budget on overhead costs than did the Song Factory" it does not make any sense, whereas Choice E states the right conclusion.

Experts, please help.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Persevering
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 224
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 08:54
amitbharadwaj7 wrote:
VerbalBot wrote:
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.


I choose E and got it wrong, well after reading the discussion, in which every one has marked D as choice, I want to understand why E is wrong. The choice E states that "The Song Factory sold more copies of its 2003 albums than Making Hits did because the Song Factory spent a higher percentage of its budget on the marketing of its albums."

The question is asking on which of the conclusions is best supported by the information given above. Now since the question is asking a conclusion, how can answer be D "In 2003, Making Hits spent a larger percentage of its budget on overhead costs than did the Song Factory" it does not make any sense, whereas Choice E states the right conclusion.

Experts, please help.


D is correct because that is the only one that can be arrived at and is implied in the argument.

E is wrong because you are assuming that more percentage spending on marketing led to higher sales and this being a conclusion question, you are not allowed to make any such assumption. Other assumption could be better song tracks led to higher sales, but these are assumptions and not conclusion.

And btw D makes complete sense,as mathematically speaking, It is a 70:80 ratio b/w the companies and so making hit records company did spend a larger percentage on overhead cost.
_________________

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Re: In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2013, 08:54
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic First time hit the verbal 40! flyingdragonamy 2 09 Apr 2014, 18:40
In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its OptimusPrimea1 8 31 Aug 2011, 05:41
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its Mega2010 23 10 Oct 2009, 22:28
The probability of hitting a target is .25 Danny makes 3 bmwhype2 2 25 Dec 2007, 14:05
Record sales in the United States fell 4.3% in 2003, a drop GMATT73 7 06 Dec 2005, 06:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In 2003, the Making Hits Record Company spent 40% of its

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.