Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [26]
Given Kudos: 121
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [7]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [6]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Re: In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research [#permalink]
Bookmarks
In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research and innovative methods, information security must remain a high priority for our company. The information stored on our networks including everything from research data, to training materials, to company memos - could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike. All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops.

If all of the above statements are true, which of the following statements can be most directly inferred?

A Passwords are often inadequate forms of security, leading to the need for "physical control" over data storage objects such as laptops.

not discussed

B Employees are not allowed to discuss their research with anyone other than fellow company employees.

the information must be keeped inside the company

C Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers.

same as A

D The company is willing to go to great expense to protect its information.

sama as A

E Employees must attend classes to learn to use the latest security software

same as A

B wins
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [1]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Carcass,

I have a doubt regarding this question. I was stuck between option B & C mainly for the below mentioned reasons.

B says that ' Employees are not allowed to discuss their research with anyone other than fellow company employees' but the passage only states that 'All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops' . What I understood from this is that company information is valuable and each employee must protect that information strictly by any means. Do we infer from this that that an employee X can discuss the confidential information that is known to him only and may be to some top Mgmt but employee X can still discuss this info with employee Y who is also a fellow employee. Now what if Employee X may not be allowed to discuss this confidential info with employee Y?

While C says that 'Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers'. Now the passage says that 'The information stored on our networks including everything from research data, to training materials, to company memos - could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike'. Now if we can infer from option B that employees are allowed to discuss the company info with fellow employees, then from option C why can't we infer that the valuable info of the company makes the network attractive to hackers (who might help competitors and foreign governments)

Please help me understand the above confusion. Thanks.

carcass wrote:
In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research and innovative methods, information security must remain a high priority for our company. The information stored on our networks including everything from research data, to training materials, to company memos - could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike. All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops.

If all of the above statements are true, which of the following statements can be most directly inferred?

A Passwords are often inadequate forms of security, leading to the need for "physical control" over data storage objects such as laptops.

not discussed

B Employees are not allowed to discuss their research with anyone other than fellow company employees.

the information must be keeped inside the company

C Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers.

same as A

sama as A

same as A

B wins
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
what you have pointed out are good issues BUT in CR questions is better to not go too much outside the "field"

On one hand is important to make the argument real, as you are in that situation; on the other hand your job is not to bring too much information from the outside. A sort of balance approach

This is true in particular in CR must be true question, where you must pick the right choice only relying on the strict information provided by the passage.

Hre the gist of the argument is this: the information must be keeped inside the company; we could also say this: no matter what happens: we have to protect them.

B says just this: we can share info only among the company's employee at most

C instead says: our information are valuable and could be a target by a hacker (maybe Neo from matrix) but is not the real point. The hackers come from the outside, instead our problem is to keep all kind of info inside our company.

B keep inside ---> no outside

C from outside to inside to thieve information.

As you can see what comes up suddenly is a huge difference

what you did is not wrong in a broad sense but the cons are: it takes too much time during the exam. You have to go to the core of the question, picking the right answer as fast as you can and moving on. that's it

Hope I satisfied your request ;)

regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Stiv wrote:

Having trouble here.
I chose A and this is why: "not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops." This implies that passwords just aren't enough.
B only deals with research. What about collaborations and thing of that nature? it's too narrow for my taste....

Can anyone shed some light?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research [#permalink]
pqhai wrote:
ronr34 wrote:
Having trouble here.
I chose A and this is why: "not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops." This implies that passwords just aren't enough.
B only deals with research. What about collaborations and thing of that nature? it's too narrow for my taste....

Can anyone shed some light?

Hello ronr34.

I'm glad to help.

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Premise 1: To keep the competitive edge, information security must remain a high priority for our company.
Premise 2: The information stored on our networks could potentially be very valuable to competitors and foreign governments alike.
Premise 3: All employees must work to protect company information, not only through passwords and data encryption, but also through the physical control of company assets, such as laptops.

Question:

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

A) Passwords are often inadequate forms of security, leading to the need for "physical control" over data storage objects such as laptops.
SHELL GAME but WRONG.

A has a common fallacy called “confusing cause and effect”.
The form is:
A and B regularly occur together.
Conclusion: A causes B happen.

Keep in mind,this logic is wrong because you don’t know A OR B leads to the occurring of the other. The only thing you know is A and B occur together. That’s It.

Back to the answer choice A:
Problem here is words "leading to". The stimulus only says employees must protect company information through both passwords and physical control. It means two approaches must be applied simultaneously That’s IT. You do NOT know which approach is inadequate and which one leads to the occurring of the other.

If A were correct, the alternate A would be correct too. The alternate A is: "physical control" over data storage objects such as laptops is often inadequate form of security, leading to the need for passwords.

Hence, A can't be the correct answer.

B) Employees are not allowed to discuss their research with anyone other than fellow company employees.
Correct. Premise 1 says “To keep the competitive edge, information security must remain a high priority for our company”. We can infer that information needs to be kept internally. It means nobody outside the company should have information.

C) Company information carries a high monetary value, making the network attractive to hackers.
Wrong. Key word is “hackers”. The stimulus does not mention anything that the network is attractive to hackers. It only says that the network is attractive to competitors and foreign government alike.

D) The company is willing to go to great expense to protect its information.
Wrong. Nothing about “great expense”. We can’t infer that.

E) Employees must attend classes to learn to use the latest security software
Wrong. Nothing about “attend classes”. We can’t infer that.

Hope it helps.

TAKEAWAY:
Always be aware of the form "confusing cause and effect". If you do not have enough information, do not assume A always leads to B.

Hi pqhai ronr34

pqhai - i like your point of view. I came up with another angle inspired by your line of thoughts. Would you mind sharing your opinion on that?

So, since information must remain inside the organization, the answer choice B states; Employees are not allowed to discuss research to anyone other than fellow colleagues.
What if they are allowed to discuss it with government stakeholders or regulating bodies while maintaining the security against competitors and the general public? There is no reason to believe that they are not allowed (especially from the text).

The answer choice A, however, refers to the mention in the passage: Not just with password, but also physical security... the correlative conjunction Not just with... but also.. gives me a sense of making an emphasis: not just x (as it is inadequate) but also Y (which make it a full proof strategy). I am wondering if that were not the case, would the passage have had the line stated differently such as: All employees must work to protect company information with both password and data encryption and physical control. Now stating this way, there is no way we can infer that password is inferior hence leading to .......... .

GMATNinja : would you provide your feedback on my reasoning. Thanks...
Also including carcass
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [0]
Send PM
In order to keep the competitive edge gained by our extensive research [#permalink]
Top Contributor
Your analysis is correct.

Also, I have already pointed out my line of reasoning.

In CR simplify at the best. Go to the core of the problem and what the stem conveys. That's is all about.

If you read once or at most two very carefully and make a prediction ANY CR , even the hardest, could be solved in LESS than one minute.

Regards
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts