Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [36]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [16]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [7]
Given Kudos: 320
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V24
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V39
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 4: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 5: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: In the mid-1990s the United States Supreme Court rendered a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
it sud be E : Proximate cause remains a legal issue in many federal district courts that will hear tobacco cases well into the 21st century

it cannot be B as nowhere in the argument the state is alleging that all cases of lung cancer and heart disease
are caused by smoking
but yes if E is taken as true then it will definitely weaken the case of states as smoking companies can allege that primary cause of health issues are real point of contention !!

however i wud have felt better had E been just the following :Proximate cause remains a legal issue in many federal district courts
i am not sure as why that extension is given to option E .nowhere in the argument time duration is into consideration
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [2]
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The paragraph looks long but only the last few lines are critical for answering the question.

The most important part is following:
The states cited the recent cases that demonstrated the causal link between smoking and health issues. Immediately, the tobacco industry opened settlement talks.
Note the point casual link.

This means that nothing sure yet about the proximate cause.
Hence answer E is the correct choice as it undermines the states argument by using the weak point (casual link) in state argument and offering that reason still remains a legal issue.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
kindly put the OE as well
n the source ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
neha24 wrote:
kindly put the OE as well
n the source ?

Please excuse the badness of this question. :? I posted it because I found it tough and couldn't see why it's "C". Anywhy it's not an official question. Please take a look on these Kaplan's CR which are better :thumbup: :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-paintings-of-french-painter-trianne-dejere-sold-best-in-151619.html#p1216881

https://gmatclub.com/forum/for-years-scientists-have-believed-that-a-certain-hormone-p-151620.html#p1216888
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I have still not understood what the final answer is, it would be really helpful if someone can give the answer and explanation.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I would recommend that no one spend time on this question. The text and answers require an understanding of outside concepts in law and health care far beyond what's reasonable, and C in no way undermines the argument. Further, the question stem isn't grammatically coherent. I'm glad folks trust Manhattan questions (this definitely isn't one of ours), but make sure you're spending most of your time on official material. If you've done it all, you're not reviewing your work thoroughly enough, or you should go take the GMAT already! :)
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Honestly, take my word for it: there is nothing to see here. I'd write an explanation if this question were worth studying, but it really isn't valid, nor is it sufficiently relevant to the test you are preparing for.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Its a cause and effect question, the correct answer is B as theres a new cause to the effect which undermines the mentioned cause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
yalincan wrote:
I was stuck between (D) and (B), but I chose (B) because it gives us another culprit that could cause such diseases, therefore partially exonerating the tobacco industry.

­I assumed the same and chose B, but it turns out that C is the correct answer. :)­

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
I would recommend that no one spend time on this question. The text and answers require an understanding of outside concepts in law and health care far beyond what's reasonable, and C in no way undermines the argument. Further, the question stem isn't grammatically coherent. I'm glad folks trust Manhattan questions (this definitely isn't one of ours), but make sure you're spending most of your time on official material. If you've done it all, you're not reviewing your work thoroughly enough, or you should go take the GMAT already! :)

­Thanks for the response. I was really going through the responses to see if there was a logical answer which made sense to me, but yes, like you rightly said, there isn't much sense to the entire argument here. 

Thank you! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts