Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y =

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 316 [1] , given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:44) correct 38% (01:17) wrong based on 146 sessions
In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = x^2

(1) Line L passes through (4, -8)
(2) Line L passes through (-4, 16)

[Reveal] Spoiler:
My doubt is there is a line passing through (-4, 16) that will be tangent to the curve at this point. Can we still say that this line intersects the curve ? I was thinking this line will touch the curve and not intersect it.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Last edited by AbhiJ on 21 May 2012, 00:02, edited 3 times in total.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3515

Kudos [?]: 26674 [3] , given: 2714

Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 04:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
fozzzy wrote:
Tough question! Does anyone have a detailed solution for this one

In the XY-Plane does line l intersect the graph of y=x^2?

(1) Line l passes through the point (4, -8). Consider the diagram below:
Attachment:
Intersection.png
Intersection.png [ 9.48 KiB | Viewed 2720 times ]
As you can see line passing through (4, -8) may or may not intersect with the graph of y=x^2. Not sufficient.

(2) Line l passes through the point (-4, 16). Since (-4)^2=16, then point (-4, 16) is ON the graph of y=x^2, thus line passing through this point intersects the graph of y=x^2. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GMAT 2: Q V0
GRE 1: 327 Q161 V166
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
AbhiJ wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Bunuel/Karishma,

I was able to solve this question by passing values in the equation y=x^2 and have found the correct answer. For reviewing the question, I googled it and ve found that Gmat instructors are rating this question -HARD.
Could you please give me an idea what makes this question Hard. I'm bit skeptical about my approach now..

Thanks
H

AbhiJ wrote:

OA after some discussion.

My doubt is there is a line passing through (-4, 16) that will be tangent to the curve at this point. Can we still say that this line intersects the curve ? I was thinking this line will touch the curve and not intersect it.

GMAC rates this Q as hard , if you ask me there is a reason for it.

There is a line passing through (-4, 16) that will be tangent to the curve at (-4, 16). Can you say that a tangent intersects a curve. The literature says the tangent touches a curve, not sure if touch and intersect are the same thing. Intersect means dividing in sects/sections. However the tangent lies totally outside the curve.

This fact would make B insufficient as there is one line the tangent that does not intersect the curve. Hence the answer would be C and not B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If however you take the mathematical definition that an equation of line and curve can be solved for one or more points then the line intersects the curve, then B will be sufficient. That's how i was able to digest the solution :).

Moreover, IMO what makes this question hard is the fact that most believe that St1 is clearly insufficient and I dont think that's the case. Here we need to ensure that point (4, -8) does not lie inside the parabola. If the point lies inside the parabola it will cross the parabola no matter what. Thus this verification will involve 2 steps drawing the parabola and locating the point. This will take up some time.

Please consider giving 'kudos' if you like my post and want to thank :)

Read about my journey to 750 here - a-non-native-speakers-journey-to-99-le-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE: Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 08:32
1) This is clearly insufficient. It is possible that the line might intersect the curve at 4,16 ( if it has slope 0, like x=4), or might not intersect at all, like line y=-8.

2) This is sufficient as the line satisfies the equation of the curve y=x^2, 16=(-4)^2, therefore the line and curve intersect at this point.

Answer should be B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 136

Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 06:54
Hi Bunuel/Karishma,

I was able to solve this question by passing values in the equation y=x^2 and have found the correct answer. For reviewing the question, I googled it and ve found that Gmat instructors are rating this question -HARD.
Could you please give me an idea what makes this question Hard. I'm bit skeptical about my approach now..

Thanks
H

AbhiJ wrote:

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26674 [0], given: 2714

Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 07:00
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Bunuel/Karishma,

Thanks
H

AbhiJ wrote:

Personally I wouldn't rate this question as hard. I think its difficulty level is ~600, not more.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 316 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 10:55
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Bunuel/Karishma,

Thanks
H

AbhiJ wrote:

There is a line passing through (-4, 16) that will be tangent to the curve at (-4, 16). Can you say that a tangent intersects a curve. The literature says the tangent touches a curve, not sure if touch and intersect are the same thing. Intersect means dividing in sects/sections. However the tangent lies totally outside the curve.

This fact would make B insufficient as there is one line the tangent that does not intersect the curve. Hence the answer would be C and not B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If however you take the mathematical definition that an equation of line and curve can be solved for one or more points then the line intersects the curve, then B will be sufficient. That's how i was able to digest the solution :).

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 10:50
AbhiJ wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Bunuel/Karishma,

Thanks
H

AbhiJ wrote:

It's definitely rated as a hard question.

Touching and intersecting mean the same thing . This is because the lines share a common point.

Hence, you arrive at B

Thanks,
Ankit

You want something, go get it . Period !

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 56

Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 15:30
mun23 wrote:
In the XY-Plane does line l intersect the graph of y=x^2?

(a)Line l passes through the point (4,-8)
(b)Line l passes through the point (-4.16)

Need details explanation
If you find this post helpful plz give+1 kudos

y=x^2 is a parabola with vertex at (0,0) and upward......

(a) Line passes through (4,-8); if line is parallel to X-axis it can never intersect the parabola.... if line is parallel to Y-axis it will... Not Sufficient
(b) Line passes through (-4,16); observe that this point is on y=x^2 which means line is intersecting parabola at the point.... It may or maynot intersect y=x^2 at some other point, we don't bother about it.... because question asks for if the line is intersecting y=x^2 or not... so just a yes or no question.... in this case it is intersecting the graph... so sufficient....

Answer is B
Intern
Intern
Schools: IIM A '15

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 20:32
Hi Gurus,

My question may be absurd but please help me understand the concept here. When I see y=x^2 i do not see it as an Upright parabola but a parabola drawn towards positive x axis . Say y=-3 then x^2 = 9 so (-3,9) is on the parabola, similarly (-2,4),(-1,1),(0,0),(1,1) and (2.4) all should form the parabola with function y=X^2.

Now if line l passes through (-4,16)- statement B, i see it as x co-ordinate as -4 and y co-ordinate as 16 then this point does not lie on the parabola. Can anyone please explain where am I at fault?

Thanks in advance.

Arun
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 01:43
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
amariappan wrote:
Hi Gurus,

My question may be absurd but please help me understand the concept here. When I see y=x^2 i do not see it as an Upright parabola but a parabola drawn towards positive x axis . Say y=-3 then x^2 = 9 so (-3,9) is on the parabola, similarly (-2,4),(-1,1),(0,0),(1,1) and (2.4) all should form the parabola with function y=X^2.

Now if line l passes through (-4,16)- statement B, i see it as x co-ordinate as -4 and y co-ordinate as 16 then this point does not lie on the parabola. Can anyone please explain where am I at fault?

Thanks in advance.

Arun

I think you should brush-up fundamental on coordinate geometry:
Theory on Coordinate Geometry: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

All DS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=41
All PS Coordinate Geometry Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=62

As for your question, check the graph of y=x^2 and the point (-4, 16) on it:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 11.71 KiB | Viewed 1069 times ]
To check whether (-4, 16) is on y=x^2, substitute x=-4 there and check whether y comes out to be 16: (-4)^2=16, so (-4, 16) is on y=x^2.

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 20:48
I understand the everything concerning how line l intersects y=x^2 at (-4,16) and not (4,-8), but I am confused as to what the question is asking. As a data sufficiency problem, are we not simply supposed to select the statements that allow us to reach an answer? For example, this question specifically asks whether line intersects y=x^2; then, is the first statement not sufficient NOT simply because (4,-8) isn't on y=x^2 but because even if it's not, we don't know if it intersects at another point (i.e. a vertical line at x=4 vs. a horizontal line at y=-8)? Just trying to make sure I'm not getting the right answer for the wrong reason.

Thanks in advance!
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 00:33
Expert's post
Gmatestaker08 wrote:
I understand the everything concerning how line l intersects y=x^2 at (-4,16) and not (4,-8), but I am confused as to what the question is asking. As a data sufficiency problem, are we not simply supposed to select the statements that allow us to reach an answer? For example, this question specifically asks whether line intersects y=x^2; then, is the first statement not sufficient NOT simply because (4,-8) isn't on y=x^2 but because even if it's not, we don't know if it intersects at another point (i.e. a vertical line at x=4 vs. a horizontal line at y=-8)? Just trying to make sure I'm not getting the right answer for the wrong reason.

Thanks in advance!

There are two kinds of data sufficient questions: YES/NO DS questions and DS questions which ask to find a value.

In Yes/No Data Sufficiency questions, statement is sufficient if the answer is “always yes” or “always no” while a statement is insufficient if the answer is "sometimes yes" and "sometimes no".

When a DS question asks about the value of some variable, then the statement is sufficient ONLY if you can get the single numerical value of this variable.

The original question is an Yes/No Data Sufficiency question. And the first statement is not sufficient because we can have both yes and no answers to the question. See my post with diagram in it.

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y =   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2014, 00:33