Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [14]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31937 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
sarathvr wrote:
In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.

A) In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
B) In this critically acclaimed film, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
C) In this film, which is critically acclaimed, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
D) In this film, which has been critically acclaimed, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
E) There is a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of characters in this critically acclaimed film.

Found this question in Brandon Royal's Game Plan for the GMAT

Didn't agree with the correct answer... can someone help me out please.

Hi,
the OA is correct and yes it does sound odd to the ear..
But what is being referred to- "a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters", which consists of two items..
whenever in doubt, REVERSE the role, that is , read the sentence upside down..
now if you were to say.. a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters are/is ......

Hi Chetan,

What About Option E WhY is it incorrect
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31937 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kanigmat011 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
sarathvr wrote:
In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.

A) In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
B) In this critically acclaimed film, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
C) In this film, which is critically acclaimed, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
D) In this film, which has been critically acclaimed, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
E) There is a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of characters in this critically acclaimed film.

Hi,
the OA is correct and yes it does sound odd to the ear..
But what is being referred to- "a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters", which consists of two items..
whenever in doubt, REVERSE the role, that is , read the sentence upside down..
now if you were to say.. a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters are/is ......

Hi Chetan,

What About Option E WhY is it incorrect

Hi kani,
E is "There is a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of characters in this critically acclaimed film."
if you reverse the sentence " a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of charactersis are in this critically acclaimed film.
so what you require is verb are
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
sarathvr wrote:

Indeed a good one , which seems really baffling.

Lets break down the sentence it will be crystal clear :-

In this critically acclaimed film there is/are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.

So there are two items -

1. a well-developed plot
2. an excellent cast of characters.

Go back to MGMAT it states

The word and can unite two or more singular subjects, forming a compound plural subject.

Now explore the options -

Thus only (A) survives !!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos