GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 10:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2015
Posts: 13
In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 06:03
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:06) correct 57% (01:07) wrong based on 208 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.


(A) In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.

(B) In this critically acclaimed film, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.

(C) In this film, which is critically acclaimed, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.

(D) In this film, which has been critically acclaimed, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.

(E) There is a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of characters in this critically acclaimed film.


Found this question in Brandon Royal's Game Plan for the GMAT

Didn't agree with the correct answer... can someone help me out please.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4695
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Mar 2019, 01:20
2
1
This is a basic principle of Subject-verb agreement.

In such inverted sentences, starting with a placeholder like there, the real subject can be found after the verb. Here, the real subject is the ‘a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters”, a compound and plural one. Hence, the verb should be ‘are’.

Between A and D, which use 'are' as the verb, A is more precise. In addition, in D, the use of present perfect tense to describe the critical acclaim is wrong.

Originally posted by daagh on 10 Jan 2016, 06:19.
Last edited by daagh on 26 Mar 2019, 01:20, edited 4 times in total.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7559
Re: In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 06:58
1
sarathvr wrote:
In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.

A) In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
B) In this critically acclaimed film, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
C) In this film, which is critically acclaimed, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
D) In this film, which has been critically acclaimed, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
E) There is a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of characters in this critically acclaimed film.

Found this question in Brandon Royal's Game Plan for the GMAT

Didn't agree with the correct answer... can someone help me out please.
OA: A


Hi,
the OA is correct and yes it does sound odd to the ear..
But what is being referred to- "a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters", which consists of two items..
whenever in doubt, REVERSE the role, that is , read the sentence upside down..
now if you were to say.. a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters are/is ......
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2014
Posts: 240
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 07:21
chetan2u wrote:
sarathvr wrote:
In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.

A) In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
B) In this critically acclaimed film, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
C) In this film, which is critically acclaimed, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
D) In this film, which has been critically acclaimed, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
E) There is a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of characters in this critically acclaimed film.

Found this question in Brandon Royal's Game Plan for the GMAT

Didn't agree with the correct answer... can someone help me out please.
OA: A


Hi,
the OA is correct and yes it does sound odd to the ear..
But what is being referred to- "a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters", which consists of two items..
whenever in doubt, REVERSE the role, that is , read the sentence upside down..
now if you were to say.. a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters are/is ......


Hi Chetan,

What About Option E WhY is it incorrect
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7559
Re: In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 07:41
kanigmat011 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
sarathvr wrote:
In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.

A) In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
B) In this critically acclaimed film, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
C) In this film, which is critically acclaimed, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
D) In this film, which has been critically acclaimed, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
E) There is a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of characters in this critically acclaimed film.

Found this question in Brandon Royal's Game Plan for the GMAT

Didn't agree with the correct answer... can someone help me out please.
OA: A


Hi,
the OA is correct and yes it does sound odd to the ear..
But what is being referred to- "a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters", which consists of two items..
whenever in doubt, REVERSE the role, that is , read the sentence upside down..
now if you were to say.. a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters are/is ......


Hi Chetan,

What About Option E WhY is it incorrect


Hi kani,
E is "There is a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of characters in this critically acclaimed film."
if you reverse the sentence " a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of charactersis are in this critically acclaimed film.
so what you require is verb are
_________________
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4419
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 08:08
1
sarathvr wrote:
In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.

A) In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
B) In this critically acclaimed film, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
C) In this film, which is critically acclaimed, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
D) In this film, which has been critically acclaimed, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
E) There is a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of characters in this critically acclaimed film.

Found this question in Brandon Royal's Game Plan for the GMAT

Didn't agree with the correct answer... can someone help me out please.
OA: A


Indeed a good one , which seems really baffling.

Lets break down the sentence it will be crystal clear :-

In this critically acclaimed film there is/are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.

So there are two items -

1. a well-developed plot
2. an excellent cast of characters.

Go back to MGMAT it states

The word and can unite two or more singular subjects, forming a compound plural subject.


Now explore the options -


A) In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
B) In this critically acclaimed film, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
C) In this film, which is critically acclaimed, there is a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
D) In this film, which has been critically acclaimed, there are a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters.
E) There is a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of characters in this critically acclaimed film.

Thus only (A) survives !!
_________________
Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4695
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 11:39
To put in simple terms:
1. There is a brother and sister in the class
2. There are a brother and sister in the class
Example 1 is wrong and 2 is correct
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2014
Posts: 240
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 15:06
Hi Chetan,

What About Option E WhY is it incorrect[/quote]

Hi kani,
E is "There is a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of characters in this critically acclaimed film."
if you reverse the sentence " a well-developed plot and an excellent plot of charactersis are in this critically acclaimed film.
so what you require is verb are[/quote]

Hi Chetan,

I completely agree with on this, but just from grammatical sense isn't E correct ,although it may loose on intended meaning part.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Posts: 15
Location: India
GPA: 3.22
Re: In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 02:06
daagh wrote:
This is a basic principle of Subject –verb agreement.

In such inverted sentences, starting with a placeholder like there, the real subject can be found after the verb. Here, the real subject is the ‘a well-developed plot and an excellent cast of characters”, a compound and plural one. Hence, the verb should be ‘are’.

Between A and D, which use 'are' as the verb , A is more precise. In addition In B the use of past perfect tense to describe the critical acclaim is wrong.



sir why is the use of present perfect wrong??
the film when came out was critically acclaimed and still is.......isnt that right??
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4695
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 01:52
1
Top Contributor
avikroy

I have edited two typos in this reply. First, it is not B, but choice D, which is under discussion about the use of present perfect. The second typo I have edited is from saying 'past perfect' to 'present perfect'. As we see, there is no past perfect at all in any of the choices.

The point here is that when you use a present perfect such as 'has been critically acclaimed', it implies that the acclaim is all over now or is about to be over. Whereas, the use of present tense makes it explicit that even today the acclaim is relevant. One can see this from the fact that the choice uses a present tense verb 'are' to describe the status of the compound subject.

Normally we take the present tense to be more eternal than a present perfect.

In addition, if you mean that the film was acclaimed only at the time when it was released and not beyond, then the correct tense would be to use the simple past tense for a bygone issue
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Posts: 15
Location: India
GPA: 3.22
Re: In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 02:57
daagh wrote:
avikroy

I have edited two typos in this reply. First, it is not B, but choice D, which is under discussion about the use of present perfect. The second typo I have edited is from saying 'past perfect' to 'present perfect'. As we see, there is no past perfect at all in any of the choices.

The point here is that when you use a present perfect such as 'has been critically acclaimed', it implies that the acclaim is all over now or is about to be over. Whereas, the use of present tense makes it explicit that even today the acclaim is relevant. One can see this from the fact that the choice uses a present tense verb 'are' to describe the status of the compound subject.

Normally we take the present tense to be more eternal than a present perfect.

In addition, if you mean that the film was acclaimed only at the time when it was released and not beyond, then the correct tense would be to use the simple past tense for a bygone issue



Thank you sir ......got the idea .....daagh
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2019, 02:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In this critically acclaimed film, there are a well-developed plot and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.