Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Information on Phd lifestyles...?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information on Phd lifestyles...? [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 05:40
deeps wrote:
Hmm.. A close friend who is doing PHD in operations management in one of the top universities, keeps telling me he does not have time for me, due to this "comprehensive exam" coming up soon. Well, we are almost dating, but looks like this exam is a big deal to him. Is it that hard that he does not have any time for me or anything else?

I'm doing my comps year Jan, so I can only tell you how I think the situation will be like for me. I've a wife and daughter, so I will not neglect them just for my comps (not that I can do that even if I want to....) Having said that, my wife understands how important the comps is for us - a make or break... Also, I'm not sure if this is a case for your friend but I would still be doing some other coursework in the semester leading up to the comps.

So given the significance of the exams, and the resources available nearing the exams, I would need to be very focused. I would try to have dinner together, go to church on Sunday, and maybe spend a few hours on Sat to go out etc. But other than that, most of the time would be to prepare for the exams.

Anyway, in short, yes, the comp is a big deal for most PhD students (although the research is even a bigger deal....)

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Information on Phd lifestyles...? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2008, 18:31
hi tkkoh,
thanks again for the clarification. Actually, I am a bit remorseful for my initial frustration with my guy on the comprehensive exam. He is now supposed to re-take one of the exams and now I am scared about his success. He is not telling me everything lest I worry, but I am definitely now anxious to know what this means and is re-taking a standard thing that happens and people get through? I just don't want him to lose out on his dreams. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. It is in the Operations and Strategic Management area.

Deepti
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information on Phd lifestyles...? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2008, 19:38
Dear Deepti,

Thanks for your PM, which brought me again to GMATclub. Just joined a BigShot University, and finding my way through the academic maze after PhD completion.

Retaking happens in about 50% of the cases of people who attempt the comprehensives - that is just my opinion, based on loosely collated info from friends.

If your friend is retaking an exam, it just means he has been given a chance to complete the PhD, the department thinks highly of him (to allow re-exam and not just flunk him), and he should be well on his way.

Operations AND strategic management? Have not heard that combination before... but if it is anything to do with operations, it probably is a math-based exam (which is to be retaken). Yes, it can be stressful. Just be patient, it should all be fine.

Best Wishes,
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Information on Phd lifestyles...? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 11:27
Most schools (almost all) declare a sentence more or less like "all students are granted with funds upon admission". Unlike undergraduate or MBA admission, there's less room to worry about funding in PhD. Reason include (1) you get to PhD level, you prove you are set in your way, so deserve a grant (2) you work as a TA in return

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Information on Phd lifestyles...? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 22:28
Beautiful points by Praet..
Thanks for share these points really helpful for me.
Intern
Intern
vinash: kumar

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Information on Phd lifestyles...? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 02:44
Very Fine
Quote:
"Praetorian"
thanks for sharing...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Information on Phd lifestyles...? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 00:25
The rewards are not immediate. Academic research sounds easy. Define the problem, show how your paper contributes to current literature and show that you indeed made those contributions by using models and experiments. However, a typical student fails at the first 2 attempts in writing a paper. A student belongs to one of these three categories.

Not good at math, not good at discovering interesting research questions and not good at writing either. This is unlikely, but it does happen. As you can imagine, such students do not stay long in the program.

Good at math, not good at discovering interesting research questions, but good at writing. This is probably the average student.

Good at math, good at discovering interesting research questions, and good at writing, but the student cannot convert the research question and intended contribution into a model that adequately incorporates the richness of the problem without oversimplifying it. This is probably the standard for a student attempting research for the first time.
Re: Information on Phd lifestyles...?   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2013, 00:25