Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 16:37
Hi All,

I was hoping I can get some insight from Gmatclub members. I have scored 690 on my last 2 GMAT prep exams, and I have an exam coming up next Saturday. My goal is to score 710 or better. Below I provided some details to explain my strengths/weaknesses.

GMAT Exam packet test #3 (690) 4/5/14
49Q -10 incorrect
(In quant, I made some silly mistakes on 4-5 questions.)
v35 - 17 incorrect
(I only got 6 of 17 SC correct!!! My RC & CR was in the 75-80% accuracy. I focused the next week on SC mostly.)

GMAT Exam packet test #4 (690) 4/12/14
49Q -6 incorrect
(I got 4 less incorrect, yet I still have the same score! My quant percentile actually went down from 85% to 83%. How is this possible? Making only 2 or 3 incorrect for entire quant section will be difficult.)
v34 - 12 incorrect
(I made 5 less mistakes but actually got a lower score. This was mostly due to the fact that I ran out of time and got the last 6 of 7 verbal questions wrong. My sentence correction drastically improved to 65% and that is considering that i got 4 SC incorrect due lack of time in the end. It would have been in the 80% range otherwise.)

For Quant, how can I improve from q49 to a 50-51? I got 4 less mistakes this time (on 4/12). The 6 questions I got wrong, were spread out and not in the beginning or end of the exam. 4 of these questions I found challenging and made an error. 2 incorrect choices were silly mistakes here.

For verbal, how can I improve my SC speed in a week? My RC and CR were hovering around 2min a question with about 75-80% accuracy so that is good time. If I didn't run out of time, I would have gotten a great score. Clearly I need to cut my SC by probably 15 seconds per question and keep the same accuracy. Should I just keep practicing questions and make sure I do not go over 1 minute 5 seconds for each?

Any other advice would be helpful as well.

Thanks,
-A
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 21:53
Just to be clear, you are taking the GMATPrep CATs, not printed tests from GMAC? "GMAT Exam Packet" was a unique phrasing there.

It is crucial that you finish the verbal section to boost your overall score. But, that doesn't mean you have to shave off time only from SC. Work on speeding up slightly on all three problem types, as that will probably be easier/smoother. See if you can be a little more aggressive on both CR and RC questions without compromising too much accuracy. And yes, do keep working on your SC skills as that first CAT you mentioned had a low SC score.

www.gmatclarity.com

Thomas Hall

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 06:52
GMAT Prep Exam Pack refers to the 2 online exams that one is able to buy from official GMAT site for 30-40$
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 07:08
I would suggest you to have a timing grid ready for verbal so that you pace yourself uniformly through the section.

Take 5-6 sectional tests in Quant and try to minimize the errors. At Q50 V35 you will cross 700.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager

Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 16:58
Ah, I hadn't yet heard of the new GMAT Exam Pack. Thanks for clarifying.

You have a week left to prep, so focus on the areas that you feel will give you the most rapid improvement on both Verbal and Quant. I recommend either one or two more full CATs to get you tuned up for the official thing:

one: Wed/Thurs
two: Tues and Thurs

Take the day before your test off from prep to rest up mentally. Get some nice hard exercise to help yourself sleep that night and deal with stress. Good luck!

Thomas Hall

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 16:47
Thanks! I have work this week Monday through Wednesday so I will not be able to take full exams at this point... or at least I don't think they will help me in any way if I will take them after 10 hours of work. After reading some success stories on this forum, I also realized that I do not want to burn myself out by taking a practice exam a day or two before the actual thing.

My schedule is as follows:
Monday- 2 to 2.5 hours of study on SC and hard CR - main focus here is to keep good pace and try to maintain accuracy 80%
Tuesday- same as Monday + 2 tough RC passages
Wednesday- work then hang out with friends/relax at night
Thursday- go over some tough math problem for 2 hours; 2 tough RC passages; 10 RC; 10 SC and minor review of SC notes I have
Friday morning- practice AWA under timed conditions; practice 15 Integrated reasoning and review incorrect IR from previous week
Friday afternoon/evening- go to gym, hang out with friends

Saturday (test day)- Quant I should get a q49 (hopefully Q50). Verbal - my strategy will be to make sure i keep good pace in beginning even if it means getting extra 2-3 questions wrong. As I learned, getting 4-5 wrong in a row at the end will lower your score significantly. If i do this I should be able to get above a v35 (hopefully v37-39)

Also, I keep getting 4s and 5s on my IR, but I do not think it will matter as long as I get a 700+ and a good AWA score.

ThomasHall wrote:
Ah, I hadn't yet heard of the new GMAT Exam Pack. Thanks for clarifying.

You have a week left to prep, so focus on the areas that you feel will give you the most rapid improvement on both Verbal and Quant. I recommend either one or two more full CATs to get you tuned up for the official thing:

one: Wed/Thurs
two: Tues and Thurs

Take the day before your test off from prep to rest up mentally. Get some nice hard exercise to help yourself sleep that night and deal with stress. Good luck!
Manager
Manager

Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 19:56
For most students, it is helpful to get a full CAT walk through close to the official test (but obviously not the day before, as that day is for resting up). It gets one in the zone. Of course, do what feels right for you. I'd do at least a little Quant prep sometime from Mon - Wed. Otherwise, your plan looks fine. Good luck!

Thomas Hall

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 22:55
Hello,
Started preparing for GMAT a month ago.I hav started solvin OG 13 from last 7days and nearly completed half of it with around 83% accuracy...I dont know whether this is good or bad....Plz help me in this regard
Manager
Manager

Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 08:57
Measuring progress requires timing your problem sets to match the official timing. Are you doing that? If so, 83% accuracy is good, depending on your goal score. Taking full CAT Sections is another great way to measure progress, but these obviously need to be spaced out properly in your prep.

I'd recommend picking up my book GMAT Clarity. It sounds like you would greatly benefit from the guidance it contains on self-studying.

Thomas Hall

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 13:12
Got a 700! 50q 34v, 7 IR

I feel relieved to cross 700 but at the same time a v34 is only 70% percentile. Given that I didn't do well in college English courses (b- and a c+) I am considering retaking the exam in a few weeks to see if I can get a higher verbal score.

Math was actually tougher than I expected on real thing. I guessed a few questions, yet still go the highest quant score in all my attempts. Do you think a v34 will negatively impact my chances?

ThomasHall wrote:
Measuring progress requires timing your problem sets to match the official timing. Are you doing that? If so, 83% accuracy is good, depending on your goal score. Taking full CAT Sections is another great way to measure progress, but these obviously need to be spaced out properly in your prep.

I'd recommend picking up my book GMAT Clarity. It sounds like you would greatly benefit from the guidance it contains on self-studying.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9447 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 14:03
Expert's post
Q50 is quite strong.
V34 is a fine/good score
700 is a solid score as well.

If you feel you can retake and make a difference then sure. You will be able to schedule the next exam in 31 days and pay another $250.

If you are applying to top 10 schools you can get it up to 720 just so that you are "average" and squre but I feel the difference between 700 and 720 is minor enough.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 07:56
What did you do for your verbal prep last round? It will help to know how much effort and time you have put in there and what resources you have used to give you advice on whether it makes sense to prep further there to boost your overall score.

Thomas Hall

Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2014, 07:56