Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: Keep getting 690 on GMATprep. Exam in 1 week. Goal= 710 [#permalink]
I would suggest you to have a timing grid ready for verbal so that you pace yourself uniformly through the section.

Take 5-6 sectional tests in Quant and try to minimize the errors. At Q50 V35 you will cross 700.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ah, I hadn't yet heard of the new GMAT Exam Pack. Thanks for clarifying.

You have a week left to prep, so focus on the areas that you feel will give you the most rapid improvement on both Verbal and Quant. I recommend either one or two more full CATs to get you tuned up for the official thing:

one: Wed/Thurs
two: Tues and Thurs

Take the day before your test off from prep to rest up mentally. Get some nice hard exercise to help yourself sleep that night and deal with stress. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks! I have work this week Monday through Wednesday so I will not be able to take full exams at this point... or at least I don't think they will help me in any way if I will take them after 10 hours of work. After reading some success stories on this forum, I also realized that I do not want to burn myself out by taking a practice exam a day or two before the actual thing.

My schedule is as follows:
Monday- 2 to 2.5 hours of study on SC and hard CR - main focus here is to keep good pace and try to maintain accuracy 80%
Tuesday- same as Monday + 2 tough RC passages
Wednesday- work then hang out with friends/relax at night
Thursday- go over some tough math problem for 2 hours; 2 tough RC passages; 10 RC; 10 SC and minor review of SC notes I have
Friday morning- practice AWA under timed conditions; practice 15 Integrated reasoning and review incorrect IR from previous week
Friday afternoon/evening- go to gym, hang out with friends

Saturday (test day)- Quant I should get a q49 (hopefully Q50). Verbal - my strategy will be to make sure i keep good pace in beginning even if it means getting extra 2-3 questions wrong. As I learned, getting 4-5 wrong in a row at the end will lower your score significantly. If i do this I should be able to get above a v35 (hopefully v37-39)

Also, I keep getting 4s and 5s on my IR, but I do not think it will matter as long as I get a 700+ and a good AWA score.

ThomasHall wrote:
Ah, I hadn't yet heard of the new GMAT Exam Pack. Thanks for clarifying.

You have a week left to prep, so focus on the areas that you feel will give you the most rapid improvement on both Verbal and Quant. I recommend either one or two more full CATs to get you tuned up for the official thing:

one: Wed/Thurs
two: Tues and Thurs

Take the day before your test off from prep to rest up mentally. Get some nice hard exercise to help yourself sleep that night and deal with stress. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
For most students, it is helpful to get a full CAT walk through close to the official test (but obviously not the day before, as that day is for resting up). It gets one in the zone. Of course, do what feels right for you. I'd do at least a little Quant prep sometime from Mon - Wed. Otherwise, your plan looks fine. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,
Started preparing for GMAT a month ago.I hav started solvin OG 13 from last 7days and nearly completed half of it with around 83% accuracy...I dont know whether this is good or bad....Plz help me in this regard
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Measuring progress requires timing your problem sets to match the official timing. Are you doing that? If so, 83% accuracy is good, depending on your goal score. Taking full CAT Sections is another great way to measure progress, but these obviously need to be spaced out properly in your prep.

I'd recommend picking up my book GMAT Clarity. It sounds like you would greatly benefit from the guidance it contains on self-studying.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got a 700! 50q 34v, 7 IR

I feel relieved to cross 700 but at the same time a v34 is only 70% percentile. Given that I didn't do well in college English courses (b- and a c+) I am considering retaking the exam in a few weeks to see if I can get a higher verbal score.

Math was actually tougher than I expected on real thing. I guessed a few questions, yet still go the highest quant score in all my attempts. Do you think a v34 will negatively impact my chances?

ThomasHall wrote:
Measuring progress requires timing your problem sets to match the official timing. Are you doing that? If so, 83% accuracy is good, depending on your goal score. Taking full CAT Sections is another great way to measure progress, but these obviously need to be spaced out properly in your prep.

I'd recommend picking up my book GMAT Clarity. It sounds like you would greatly benefit from the guidance it contains on self-studying.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Q50 is quite strong.
V34 is a fine/good score
700 is a solid score as well.

If you feel you can retake and make a difference then sure. You will be able to schedule the next exam in 31 days and pay another $250.

If you are applying to top 10 schools you can get it up to 720 just so that you are "average" and squre but I feel the difference between 700 and 720 is minor enough.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
What did you do for your verbal prep last round? It will help to know how much effort and time you have put in there and what resources you have used to give you advice on whether it makes sense to prep further there to boost your overall score.
GMAT Club Bot