Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marketing ladder

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Marketing ladder [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 06:18
We know that in the world of Finance, Investment Banking at a bulge bracket firm like Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, JP Morgan, etc...
stands on the top of the finance pecking order. This is in terms of prestige and compensation.

What is the Marketing world counterpart of these positions? Is there a goldman sachs of Marketing that MBA students gun for?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 06:57
I don't know of a specific ranking, but I would say a good guide would be Fortune 500 companies that hire positions into Product Marketing & Brand Management. Those are the most "prestigious", and offer the most *legitimacy* -- i.e. you are actually working in real marketing as opposed to sales or a glorified customer service role.

Consumer Products:
3M, General Electric, Procter & Gamble, Pepsi, Coke, Johnson & Johnson

Computers:
Apple, Microsoft, IBM

Automotive:
Ford, GM, Toyota. *insert luxury auto brand here*

Financial Services:
American Express, Citicards, Discover Financial

Media, Wireless, Communications:
News Corp, ESPN, AT&T, Nokia

Apparel & Cosmetics:
Estee Lauder, Calvin Klein
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2007, 17:46
How about beer companies? I am interested in sport marketing eventually, but I think that I could do a lot of marketing in sport (with better pay) at a beer/liquor firm.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2007, 10:07
Based on what I've researched, the large brewing companies who hire MBAs include Anheuser Busch and Miller Brewing Company.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2008, 13:42
loom wrote:
I don't know of a specific ranking, but I would say a good guide would be Fortune 500 companies that hire positions into Product Marketing & Brand Management. Those are the most "prestigious", and offer the most *legitimacy* -- i.e. you are actually working in real marketing as opposed to sales or a glorified customer service role.

Consumer Products:
3M, General Electric, Procter & Gamble, Pepsi, Coke, Johnson & Johnson

Computers:
Apple, Microsoft, IBM

Automotive:
Ford, GM, Toyota. *insert luxury auto brand here*

Financial Services:
American Express, Citicards, Discover Financial

Media, Wireless, Communications:
News Corp, ESPN, AT&T, Nokia

Apparel & Cosmetics:
Estee Lauder, Calvin Klein

I would make a few changes to the above list: remove IBM, ESPN, Calvin Klein and all automotive companies that are not luxury brands add L'oreal, Colgate-Palmolive and Nike, Kraft, Nestle, General Mills and Kelloggs. I guess those could just be preferences though. There are definitely some that are standouts from this group: P&G, Pepsi, J&J, AMX and GE I would say are the top, Nestle , Kraft and General Mills are very close. You can look at the selectivity of the company (core schools ) and the average starting salary as well as their spot in the fortune 500 as key indicators as to which are the best. Just like IB or consulting, some will definitely open doors in the future for you.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Marketing ladder [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 19:44
I'm gonna spell this wrong, but some of my brander pals are into Diagio (booze). Also Conagra and Heinz. Macneil. See, I'm spelling all this stuff wrong 'cause I'm so lame about labels and the like, but there are two more for ya!!
Re: Marketing ladder   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2008, 19:44