Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:<strong>HBS</strong>(R2 - IN!!!), <strong>Kellogg MMM</strong> (R2 - IN!!), Stanford GSB (R2-DING), MIT Sloan (R2-DING)
WE 1: 8.5 Yrs Microprocessor Design
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: MBA in early 30s? [#permalink]
ob wrote:
Hi -

Have any of you done it? Is it worth it? What are the chances of being accepted? Looking at one-year programs.
I'm currently doing investment banking.

Thanks!

I am matriculating to Kelley's full-time in the fall, and I'm 35! Obviously the story is important, but life is too short to not do want you want to do.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Heading to Cornell this fall and I'm 34. Getting into any top school is tough, but get your story straight and tell it in a compelling fashion, And you'll have a shot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Need a little bit more than your age to make that determination!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
Being in the same boat, I appreciate this post. It's been a big struggle for me to decide whether or not it would even be worth it >> eg, get CFA / CPA / CAIA / FRM instead? Just try to get another promotion at work or move to a different role? But the more I think about it, the more it seems like all that is a waste of time compared to the value-add an MBA brings, especially from a top program. And you only live once, right? Thank you very much for posting the topic.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
how-to-gauge-realistic-chances-112921.html#p914503

Although I'm grateful to Alex for his candor, I guess this was a bit of a downer. I'm still going to try, but I thought this would be a useful thing to post here. (Please don't shoot the messenger!) Just one of those things where one hopes against hope and then hopes some more for the best, what can I say? Oh well, at least there's one thing I can do about it right? GMAT studying like my life depended on it is then! (Because that may just be the truth.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Have you guys considered getting an EMBA instead? Why take 2 years off when you can continue work while getting the degree?
Manager
Manager
Schools:<strong>HBS</strong>(R2 - IN!!!), <strong>Kellogg MMM</strong> (R2 - IN!!), Stanford GSB (R2-DING), MIT Sloan (R2-DING)
Send PM
mrblack wrote:
Have you guys considered getting an EMBA instead? Why take 2 years off when you can continue work while getting the degree?

Because an EMBA is great if you want to stay in your current profession and move up a little more quickly. However the experience is completely different from a full 2-year degree where you are completely immersed in the school. Quite frankly, an MBA is about the interaction with your classmates, and stepping out of your comfort zone, far more than it is about the finance, accounting, and strategy education itself.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
icemanjs4 wrote:
mrblack wrote:

Because an EMBA is great if you want to stay in your current profession and move up a little more quickly. However the experience is completely different from a full 2-year degree where you are completely immersed in the school. Quite frankly, an MBA is about the interaction with your classmates, and stepping out of your comfort zone, far more than it is about the finance, accounting, and strategy education itself.

Why do you think EMBA allows you to only move up "a little more quickly"? I would hazard to guess that most EMBAs are already working in jobs that MBAs want to get post graduation. I completely agree with you about stepping out of comfort zone, interaction with your classmates...etc. but unless you're a career switcher, getting an EMBA may make sense if you're already in the right role and are looking for additional sources of intellectual stimulation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I agree. I guess you hit the nail on the head - it's about career switching. If you're happy in your current career, EMBA is a good alternative. For most of us, however, we're looking for something different. It's unfortunate it took us until our 30s to realize we needed this though.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Better late than never! Finding true love is priceless.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&amp;Gas
Send PM
Well I have heard EMBAs managing career switches too.. But of course that is not what EMBA is designed to do.. The downside of the 2yr FT MBA is $ however, the experiences are going to be completely different. I wonder about a question though:

When a 35 yr old gets done with a FT MBA, and goes through campus recruiting, what kind of jobs and salary can one expect? I hear that most FT recruitment is mostly for entry level positions, would the recruiter honor the experience behind the person?

As far as experience is concerned I don't think one will argue that the FT experience would be worth it compared to the EMBA, but the question is at what cost? I think most people going into FT MBA may not have an absolutely clear idea of what they will do post-MBA(though I understand that the application needs credible goals).. People probably find out what they would like to do during the 2 years too. The EMBA does not afford the luxury..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Send PM
I completely agree with icemanjs4.
I am 36 and I will attend LBS full time MBA class starting in August this year because this is the right time for me now !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
I am currently studying for the gmat, two days before my 34 birthday. I sure hope this is the right time for me. My brain is slowly getting back into the study mode. It's not coming easy though. Good luck to all of you that are 30 plus!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Appreciate the post.
I am in the same boat... but targetting for 1 year course, options are ISB, insead, IIMs. I am yet to take GMAT.
Is anyone who has similar experience?
the only reason i didnt want to do 2 year is its hard to be away from my 4 year old.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I'm 32 and getting ready to take the GMAT in the Fall. Don't let age deter you, if anything use it to your advantage. Good Luck!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I got into a top EMBA program at the age of 29. Having spent a year in it, I feel very lucky to have chosen this path, vs. the full time path. I get access to career services and on-campus recruiting, I keep my salary (which is higher than the average graduating salary of my program for full time), my classmates are incredibly smart and further along in their careers, and even though we only meet every couple of weeks, there's only slightly less camaraderie and immersion than the full time program. Our class is much smaller than the full time, so we get to know each other on a far deeper level. In addition, full timers tend to be young, extremely competitive, and very green. My program is a load of fun, but I'm surrounded by a couple of CEOs, CTOs, doctors, lawyers, PhDs, consultants, VC guys, PE guys, and others who simply "get it", and aren't trying to claw their way to the top.

Having said that, I don't think an MBA is worth it unless you get into one of the top programs (ESPECIALLY EMBA), simply because beyond the education, the network is incredibly important, and I'm not convinced that anything below the top 15-25 schools is worth the price of admission.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Send PM
I am 29 now and will be applying for next year. Had an epiphany at work and decided its the right time to do this. Age might be a factor for some elite programs but not for most. As long as you have compelling reason to go for an MBA now and is able to communicate that in your essays you definitely have a shot. If anything I'd say being older gives you an edge on the essay section where you'll likely have more WE, more leadership experience, and have a better persepctive in general, qualities younger applicants lack. So play up your strength! I know I will
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92929 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts