Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GRE 1: Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
GMAT Date: 11-20-2012
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.01
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
So I applied in Round 4. I quickly received an invitation to interview. I'm headed down there to in a few weeks. I'm trying to temper my expectations. I would definitely go to UT if admitted. Given I'm in round 4 and have gotten an interview does anyone want to help me handicap my odds of admission?

White Male, Cornell Undergrad: 3.01 GPA, Consulting, 700 GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
chasbo87 wrote:
So I applied in Round 4. I quickly received an invitation to interview. I'm headed down there to in a few weeks. I'm trying to temper my expectations. I would definitely go to UT if admitted. Given I'm in round 4 and have gotten an interview does anyone want to help me handicap my odds of admission?

Real hard to say... I recall reading that 50% get interview invites and 50% of those who get invited ultimately get offered a spot. So, at a basic level, you can consider it a coin flip. However, you have some positives and negatives going for you. On the plus side, you're from the northeast, attended an Ivy, and are in a target industry. On the negative, your GPA is well below the median, you're a caucasian male, and are applying R4. I'd venture a guess of about 40% based on all that, but that's knowing nothing about who you work for, your promotion history, management experience, extra currics, essay quality, rec quality, and post-MBA goals (which you could argue are all nearly as important as the things you stated).

As context, I applied R3, have decent EC's, got the equivalent of a 700 on the GRE, had a 3.5, and work for a target company in a target industry... and I got no love. Unfortunately, it all comes down to how their class is shaking out. They try to fill up certain buckets. If they have white male consultant from the NE bucket filled, then you might be out of luck... so, just hope that a lot of Indians, Europeans, and Financial Analysts apply, I guess!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
jiggedyjared wrote:
chasbo87 wrote:

Real hard to say... I recall reading that 50% get interview invites and 50% of those who get invited ultimately get offered a spot. So, at a basic level, you can consider it a coin flip. However, you have some positives and negatives going for you. On the plus side, you're from the northeast, attended an Ivy, and are in a target industry. On the negative, your GPA is well below the median, you're a caucasian male, and are applying R4. I'd venture a guess of about 40% based on all that, but that's knowing nothing about who you work for, your promotion history, management experience, extra currics, essay quality, rec quality, and post-MBA goals (which you could argue are all nearly as important as the things you stated).

As context, I applied R3, have decent EC's, got the equivalent of a 700 on the GRE, had a 3.5, and work for a target company in a target industry... and I got no love. Unfortunately, it all comes down to how their class is shaking out. They try to fill up certain buckets. If they have white male consultant from the NE bucket filled, then you might be out of luck... so, just hope that a lot of Indians, Europeans, and Financial Analysts apply, I guess!

Well the biggest difference is that he went to ivy. UT love kids from ivys and usually willing to overlook other parts of their applications. I know someone who got in with a 3.2, much lower gmat and little work experience. All that person had going for him was that he went to Princeton.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hailmary620 wrote:
jiggedyjared wrote:
chasbo87 wrote:

Well the biggest difference is that he went to ivy. UT love kids from ivys and usually willing to overlook other parts of their applications. I know someone who got in with a 3.2, much lower gmat and little work experience. All that person had going for him was that he went to Princeton.

Let's see. Additional details. I'm a change management consultant working in restructuring, I've been doing that for four years, and was a varisty rower during my undergraduate years. I've got good/great recommendations, and I'm on the board of a politically active local group here in NYC. I hope my essays were well written considering 50% of my job is writing for others :) . Hopefully the white kid from the Northeast bucket is a little emptier than usual. I'll repost on how it all shakes out.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sounds like you might have an interesting story to tell. Do well on your interview, and I think you have a real good shot.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.03
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
chasbo87 wrote:

Your profile is exactly similar to mine. Only difference is I didn't go to an Ivy - but went to a top 30 private university on the east coast.

I was admitted R3. Tell a good story, and you should have a good shot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
chasbo87 wrote:

If you are applying PT as your profile says, it will probably be quite a bit less competitive than the full time program.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kasonhills wrote:
chasbo87 wrote:

If you are applying PT as your profile says, it will probably be quite a bit less competitive than the full time program.

great point
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jiggedyjared wrote:
kasonhills wrote:
chasbo87 wrote:

great point

Apologies- I had marked it incorrectly.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Rodrigo just wrote up an admissions update on the MBA Insider blog, and it included some info I thought would be useful for WL candidates:

"Any updates to your application (i.e. improved test scores or significant change in employment status) should be emailed to MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu by April 1, 2013. We expect to begin reviewing our waitlist at the end of April 2013 and will update you on the application status by early May."

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.79
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
for NYC people that have accepted, this could be a great event to get together before school. looks like it's being sponsored by nyc texas exes.

https://www.lonestarchilicookoff.org/?ut ... dium=29313
Manager
Manager
Send PM
USAFinDenver wrote:
Rodrigo just wrote up an admissions update on the MBA Insider blog, and it included some info I thought would be useful for WL candidates:

"Any updates to your application (i.e. improved test scores or significant change in employment status) should be emailed to MBAWaitlist@mccombs.utexas.edu by April 1, 2013. We expect to begin reviewing our waitlist at the end of April 2013 and will update you on the application status by early May."

Kind of funny that the instructions to send updates "by April 1, 2013" was posted on April 3.

https://blogs.mccombs.utexas.edu/mba-ins ... ns-update/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Did anybody receive some sort of confirmation after submitting the video interview for WL update? I went to the video recording website and my interview is there but nothing else on if the institution has received it, etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GPA: 3.61
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Has anybody heard anything about scholarships?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hey there,

I believe I got an email confirmation from the site saying that once it's live it's also available to the institution, so I would assume yours is also available. Other than that, the only confirmation I received from the school was when I sent my email update - whence they replied that they received my updates and nothing else.

Good luck!

brosnan6 wrote:
Did anybody receive some sort of confirmation after submitting the video interview for WL update? I went to the video recording website and my interview is there but nothing else on if the institution has received it, etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
I was waitlisted on Monday but didn't hear anything back regarding the video interview? Does anyone know when they reach out to you?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hailmary620 wrote:
I was waitlisted on Monday but didn't hear anything back regarding the video interview? Does anyone know when they reach out to you?

I didn't hear anything either, and am wondering the same thing. This whole process has left me pretty frustrated.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts