Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 569 [1]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 510 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Re: Media experts have attributed the long lasting intrigue [#permalink]
Kudos
Vercules wrote:
Media experts have attributed the long lasting intrigue of Marilyn Munroe to everything from having a charismatic beauty, which was always admired, to her association with the rich and powerful families in America.

From x to y. X and Y must be parallel. Since ", to her association" is not underlined, we have to adjust the X to the form of Y.

A) having a charismatic beauty, which was always admired
"having" is unparallel to "her association". However, after the preponderance over AC D), I am chaniging my judgement from "unparallel" to "not elegantly parallel". So I am picking A.
B) having a charismatic beauty, which has always been admired
"having" is unparallel to "her association". Present Perfect tense is ungrammatical here.
C) her enigmatic beauty, for which there has always been an admiration
Very wordy.
D) her enigmatic beauty, which has always been admired
Hm. Although "her enigmatic beauty" nicely parallels the "her association", the change from "charismatic" to "enigmatic" makes me doubt. I've learnt once that the change of meaning is crucial to the GMAT, so... let's move back to the Gerund form "having". Maybe it's the lesser evil. Has anyone else also concluded that changed meaning indicates WRONG answer in 99% of cases?
E) having a charismatic beauty, for which there has always been an admired
Ungrammatical.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Vercules wrote:
Media experts have attributed the long lasting intrigue of Marilyn Munroe to everything from having a charismatic beauty, which was always admired, to her association with the rich and powerful families in America.

OA after discussion

IMO, D is correct because

(1) parallel: ......from her ..... to her..........
(2) "beauty, which has been admired" conveys better meaning. If we use "which was admired", we mean nobody admires her beauty anymore. The admiration is no longer available.

In addition, I eliminate "having...." because I asked myself should the structure be "......from having..... to associating........". But the second part is "her association".

Please correct if I'm wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
HumptyDumpty wrote:
Vercules wrote:

From x to y. X and Y must be parallel. Since ", to her association" is not underlined, we have to adjust the X to the form of Y.

"having" is unparallel to "her association". However, after the preponderance over AC D), I am chaniging my judgement from "unparallel" to "not elegantly parallel". So I am picking A.
"having" is unparallel to "her association". Present Perfect tense is ungrammatical here.
Very wordy.
Hm. Although "her enigmatic beauty" nicely parallels the "her association", the change from "charismatic" to "enigmatic" makes me doubt. I've learnt once that the change of meaning is crucial to the GMAT, so... let's move back to the Gerund form "having". Maybe it's the lesser evil. Has anyone else also concluded that changed meaning indicates WRONG answer in 99% of cases?
Ungrammatical.

Even with the change of one word (D) will be the correct answer; It is very rare that you will see a dramatic change in meaning. However, if change in meaning makes the grammatically incorrect choice correct then you must select the grammatically correct one. Note that first the grammatical correctness comes then meaning. In some question on the GMAT, two grammatically correct choices have a difference in meaning and the one that preserves the intended meaning of the original sentence is the correct answer choice. Anyways, to avoid any confusion, I have changed the word in my question.

Vercules
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, after amending the question to suit a desirable answer, it does not matter much to discuss the correctness of the choice D. . . But IMO, there is more than what meets the eye, if enigmatic was the original choice over charismatic. The liberty to change the original if the intended meaning is a change for the better is manifest in the GMAT. Remember charismatic –- means captivating, while -enigmatic means something beyond fathom. What gives pep to this enigma is the word - intrigue – which means to arouse the interest in an unusual and fascinating means. Enigmatic is improvement over charismatic in this context, and I would welcome the change
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM

C) her charismatic beauty, for which there has always been an admiration
D) her charismatic beauty, which has always been admired

A,B,E are direclty ruled out due to the parallelism issues,
Out of C and D, D is correct, due to the correct tense and brevity
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nice explanations every one, here is the OE

(A) having a charismatic beauty, which was always admired

The expression "from X to Y" requires X and Y to be in parallel form, but "having a charismatic beauty" and "her association with the rich and powerful families in America" are not parallel. The first is a verb construction while the second is a noun construction. Since the second construction is not underlined, the first construction must be altered. The simple past construction "which was never explained” though not grammatically incorrect, is less preferred than the present perfect.

(B) having a charismatic beauty, which has always been admired

The parallelism error is not corrected here: "from having a charismatic beauty" is the same as in the original sentence.

(C) her charismatic beauty, for which there has always been an admiration

The parallelism error is corrected, However, "for which there has never been an explanation" is wordy.

(D) her charismatic beauty, which has always been admired

CORRECT. Here, "her charismatic beauty" is parallel with "her association with the rich and powerful families of Europe." Moreover, "which has never been explained" is concise and properly in the present perfect tense.

(E) having a charismatic beauty, for which there has always been an admired

The parallelism error is not corrected here: "having a charismatic beauty" is the same as in the original sentence. Moreover, "for which there has never been an explanation" is wordy.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts