Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 06:07 It is currently 05 May 2024, 06:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1637 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
 Q47  V36
Send PM
Re: Michigan (Ross) [#permalink]
Best in corporate strategy**

1 University of Michigan: Ross
2 Harvard Business School
3 Ipade
4 Northwestern University: Kellogg
5 Yale School of Management
6 HEC Paris
7 Georgetown University: McDonough
8 City University: Cass
9 IE Business School
10 Washington University: Olin

Best in marketing**
1 Northwestern Uni: Kellogg
2 Indiana University: Kelley
3 Duke University: Fuqua
4 University of Florida
5 University of Michigan: Ross
6 University of Pennsylvania: Wharton
7 University of Wisconsin-Madison
8 Esade Business School
9 IE Business School
10 University of North Carolina: Kenan-Flagler
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Where are these rankings coming from?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
 Q47  V36
Send PM
Hjort wrote:
Where are these rankings coming from?

Sorry, I forgot to include the source. They are from recently published FT 2208 ranking.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General,Marketing,International Business
Send PM
what is michigan bad ta that make sit rankings lower in us news than the rest? To me the school seems to have first rate programs n courses ...even soem unique intitaives so what is teh issue - recuriting?faculty quality?just "brand" ?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
aditi123 wrote:
what is michigan bad ta that make sit rankings lower in us news than the rest? To me the school seems to have first rate programs n courses ...even soem unique intitaives so what is teh issue - recuriting?faculty quality?just "brand" ?

Probably all of the above. Certainly not the same brand, caliber of faculty, etc. While the same recruiters show up, they don't recruit in the same numbers, e.g. M/B/B recruit a few but Deloitte Consulting takes the highest # going into Manag. consulting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
It's not faculty, or brand (well, it's not HBS, obviously), or recruiting. If you look at where it loses most points in USN, you'll see that it's the % employed at graduation and 3 months after graduation. It's been like that for a long time mostly because Ross graduation date is earlier compared to other schools.
As for careers, my impression is that most people there look at careers in general management, marketing/sales, operations, non-profit and sustainability. Very few people are interested in IB for instance. For consulting perhaps there are more people interested, but still not as many as at Kellogg for instance (which btw is a core school for Deloitte and has it as its 3rd top employer).
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
sniperssk wrote:
It's not faculty, or brand (well, it's not HBS, obviously), or recruiting. If you look at where it loses most points in USN, you'll see that it's the % employed at graduation and 3 months after graduation. It's been like that for a long time mostly because Ross graduation date is earlier compared to other schools.
As for careers, my impression is that most people there look at careers in general management, marketing/sales, operations, non-profit and sustainability. Very few people are interested in IB for instance. For consulting perhaps there are more people interested, but still not as many as at Kellogg for instance (which btw is a core school for Deloitte and has it as its 3rd top employer).

I appreciate your feedback. I guess it is a tough decision when you like the school but are interested in IB or consulting and know the recruiting isn't the strongest in either per se.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Not sure what you mean by 'strong recruiting' because the number of total hires does not say much about your individual probability of being hired. As long as a company comes to campus, it's up to you to make your case. In IB it'd be better to be at some of the finance schools b/c they get the full range of banks on campus, not because banks hire more people there, which is driven by more ibanking wannabes self-selecting into those schools. Nevertheless, outside the core finance schools you still have a shot as most BBs will go to all top 10-15. Darden is a good example in that respect as it gets many BBs + boutiques on campus. As for M/B/B, it's up to you to crack the case, not the school. Anyway, none of these things factor into USN rankings as a numerical indicator.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
sniperssk wrote:
Not sure what you mean by 'strong recruiting' because the number of total hires does not say much about your individual probability of being hired. As long as a company comes to campus, it's up to you to make your case. In IB it'd be better to be at some of the finance schools b/c they get the full range of banks on campus, not because banks hire more people there, which is driven by more ibanking wannabes self-selecting into those schools. Nevertheless, outside the core finance schools you still have a shot as most BBs will go to all top 10-15. Darden is a good example in that respect as it gets many BBs + boutiques on campus. As for M/B/B, it's up to you to crack the case, not the school. Anyway, none of these things factor into USN rankings as a numerical indicator.

Strangely I found that IB may not be that hard at Ross. Asking around there are about 60+ people going for IB recruiting among the MBA1's yet looking at internship recruiting from last year, there were about 40 people who received internship offers. This is just my preliminary analysis. It can be off.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
GoBruin wrote:
sniperssk wrote:

Strangely I found that IB may not be that hard at Ross. Asking around there are about 60+ people going for IB recruiting among the MBA1's yet looking at internship recruiting from last year, there were about 40 people who received internship offers. This is just my preliminary analysis. It can be off.

I guess you are right. Looking at the newly released employment report shows class of 2010 with 8.1% into IB of 431 grads that's appx. 35 ppl. Class of 2011 shows 9.3% into IB internships and the class went up to say 500 (think that's what was reported for class of '12 the other night at the info session) so thats 47 ppl. That's not so bad, but it'd be nice to know how many of those people are going to the big firms in NYC vs. lower tier midwest. In the recent report the breakdown is:

Fulltime/Intern
JP Morgan: 1/9
Citi: 8/8
UBS: 7/7
Barclays: 2/6
Credit Suisse: 0/4
Deutsche: 2/1
BOA: 1/1
Goldman: 0/2

The disturbing statistic is still that 77.9% of grads with a job 3 months out. I know it's down at a lot of schools, but that is kind of scary when you shell out $150k.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The so called 'lower tier midwest' firms are boutiques and they do not hire a lot of people, if at all, and they are usually looking for some prior IB experience. The majority of hires at the midwest schools go to BBs in NY and Chicago. As long as a bank comes to campus, how many it will hire is up to the number of people who are interested and qualified for the job AND are a good fit for the bank/group. IB recruiting is a lot more about networking and fit than anything else. % of ppl going to IB does not say much about how many people were interested in that job. Number of people at different firms does not say much about the function they are going into. The only stat I'd be interested in is which banks recruit on campus and have dedicated recruiting teams for the school. Everything else is practically bs.
As for the % of ppl hired 3 months out, I hate repeating myself, but it comes down to when the school graduates its students and what jobs students are looking for. Ross and Wharton were outliers last year among the top 15 schools for different reasons. Wharton is finance focused and a lot of people obviously held back for finance jobs. Ross has an early graduation date and reports job figures earlier than most other schools - it's been like that for years, it's become more evident when the crisis hit.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
The class of 2010 had it the worst. As sniperssk stated above, Wolverines graduate May-1 while students at HBS graduate almost a month later. But that is just one reason and I'm not trying to pin everything on the differing graduating dates. That said, the Ross career services team has taken last year's stats extremely seriously. This year, I am seeing a lot of new initiatives in terms of bringing recruiters on campus. One such initiative was "Meet the Companies" - a career fair style event for small/medium sized companies that want to hire Ross MBAs, but don't have the resources to commit to a full fledged on-campus recruiting cycle - office hours, presentation, etc. The class of 2011 should have markedly improved stats over the class of 2010

-Class of 2011 Wolverine
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Sorry to change the topic, but I am curious as to how the dean search is going. Haven't heard anything about it in a while. Anyone hear anything new?

Nothing new on the official site, either.

https://www.bus.umich.edu/deansearch/default.htm
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
My unofficial analysis which is based only on talking to my classmates is that a lot of people have gotten jobs over the summer self included (although I was within the 3 months just barely). I think you see lower job percentages 3 months post graduation for several reasons, but one not yet mentioned is the lower number of summer offers which is related to the crappy economy for class of 2010. Marketing which is quite popular at Ross seemed to be hit particuarly hard and not just for Ross. Also most CPG companies did not do full-time recruiting last year so if you didn't get an offer from the summer it was very difficult.

Keep in mind that where people place in terms of IB (or consulting) is also related to where they want to be. I understand NYC is the best place to be (in US) for IB, but that doesn't mean everyone chooses to go there regardless. Two of my classmates who went into IB went to Charlotte, but both of them WANTED to be in the south and were really happy to be going there. They were also both really good and I'm certain could have gotten offers in NYC if that's what they wanted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Concentration: Operations & supply chain management; alternative energy
Schools:Ross (admit after WL), Foster (admit), Wharton (ding), Thunderbird (admit)
 Q44  V44 GMAT 2: 740  Q47  V44
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: US Army logistics
WE 2: Client management & business development (Russian Auditing & accounting firm)
WE 3: Sales for renewable energy firm
Send PM
Kudos
I took the opportunity to visit Ross in January when I was invited for my interview. I was amazed by the fanatical loyalty that Ross students had for their institution and their fellow Wolverines. This unique phenomenon is pervasive not only at Ross, but in the U of Michigan as a whole. The veterans support personnel, the staff at the dual degree institute to which I'm applying (CREES), & even the local taxi driver were just so enthusiastic about the university and so friendly that it almost felt like living in a stranger (& cooler) version of the "Stepford Wives" community.

I originally applied to Ross because of Tauber & Erb, the action-based learning style, & the extensive support for Veterans, but those benefits seem almost trivial when I got to interact with some of the current students. The biggest aspect that I am now looking forward to is getting to work with fellow Ross students.

I feel incredibly privileged to be accepted into the Ross community!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2