Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 12:33 It is currently 09 May 2024, 12:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Move into management consulting -Part-time MBA? [#permalink]
I agree with Dave - he makes a great point. Keep in mind, management consulting companies only have so many post-MBA entry positions every year and it is in their best interest to pursue FT programs. The recruiting process ties in well with their operations, the candidates are more fully dedicated to the search, and the applicants' involvements in extracurriculars serve as a good indication of their fit with firm culture.

One thing to consider - if you're looking to go into niche consulting, then PT programs may give your resume something that will help it stand out but you will be applying into the experienced hiring pile. Prestigious and name brand consulting firms get hundreds of thousands resumes every year into this stack. Therefore, they'd be hiring you into a specific thing. Experienced hires do not have access to general management positions and if that is what you are looking for, you have to go FT.

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
deepagmat82 wrote:
I am a 30 year old woman with 9 years of experience as an engineer in the silicon valley. Is it possible for me at 31 to enter into a PT MBA program and move into management consulting? What is the age barrier to move into management Consulting type roles? Am I too late?

What Part-time programs are good for moving into Management consulting?

Thank you

Age is not a barrier for anything.If you are that interested in management consulting, you can excel irrespective of your age.However its a good decision to do part-time programs on management consulting.I started my career as a management consultant at the age of 28 and currently working in KPMG,leading MNC is consulting business.So now you don't doubt on anything just follow your will and be a management consultant at the earliest.All the very best!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Consulting companies do not discriminate based on age de jure; however, I strongly believe that is taken into consideration during recruiting, and age/gender make it more difficult de facto.

Here are things to consider before you decide on the path.
1) If you enter PT MBA at 31, you will have your MBA at 32-34. What is your end goal after MC? Consulting has an “up or out” policy, your chance of making partner is 40 at the earliest.
2) If you have or planning to have a family, this means you will be away from home weekly working 60-100 hours per week until you are 40 at the earliest. Is that something you are prepared to do?
3) Does the PT MBA program provide access to MC? Every PT program is different, some program do not provide equal access to FT recruiting.
4) If you do have access to FT recruiting, does your current work/school situation allow you to spend an additional 20-40 hours/week during recruiting season for networking and case preparation?

That said, some of my female classmates went into consulting at that age; however, their plan was to exit after 2 years. Speaking with them now, the exit opportunities were not what they had imagined/”promised” 1.5 year in, coming out of M/B/B.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ok.. wow.. there is a load of great info here. Thanks to all for all of your input. I definitely have a much clearer pic of whats involved. Sales training consultants
Intern
Intern
Send PM
deepagmat82 wrote:
I am a 30 year old woman with 9 years of experience as an engineer in the silicon valley. Is it possible for me at 31 to enter into a PT MBA program and move into management consulting? What is the age barrier to move into management Consulting type roles? Am I too late?

What Part-time programs are good for moving into Management consulting?

Thank you

There is no age barrier to switch over the profile; in fact, scope in management consulting trade is much better than searching the opportunities in business management. Specialization or certification course in Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) or Design for Lean may lead you towards the heights; these are new prospects with less competition level. Medium and large scale units are applying both these methodologies.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts