Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 23:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Move into management consulting -Part-time MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Move into management consulting -Part-time MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 11:09
I am a 30 year old woman with 9 years of experience as an engineer in the silicon valley. Is it possible for me at 31 to enter into a PT MBA program and move into management consulting? What is the age barrier to move into management Consulting type roles? Am I too late?

What Part-time programs are good for moving into Management consulting?

Thank you
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 22

Re: Move into management consulting -Part-time MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 11:44
Hey deepagmat82 - those are really good questions. EssaySnark says, it's never too late for anything! But at the same time, certain things are easier at certain ages, so we understand your concerns.

It's traditionally been much harder to make a big career change through any part-time program - in fact, used to be that many schools wouldn't even accept a P/T applicant who wanted to switch careers like this. Today though, a lot of the schools are becoming more flexible and more accommodating of different paths. This is a great question for you to ask of the schools themselves. Contact their part-time admissions office and see what they say. They will be able to give you some insights into how feasible it is, and how welcoming they are in particular for career-changers.

The biggest hiccup really is in terms of the post-MBA transition, and this often boils down to one area: Salary. If you've been working in Silicon Valley for a long time then you're probably raking in some dough. :-) Many consulting firms would be interested in you as a potential hire due to your experience (we presume) but at the same time, you're not going to be in the standard post-MBA job bracket when it comes to compensation. So that's the biggest wrinkle.

The other part of course is the nature of your current job and past experiences. If you've been solely an engineer all these years, it may be more difficult to make the pitch - you will need to show the adcoms how you're ready to tackle this new challenge based on what you bring to the table today.

In terms of programs: Typically a P/T candidate is limited by geography since they're holding down a full-time job. Berkeley has a great P/T program (called the EWMBA for Evenings & Weekend MBA) and we know of folks who've switched careers through that. UCLA has even more options for part-timers including a new hybrid / online option called the Flex MBA. These are both viable for you. If you're saying you would relocate for a P/T program (and somehow be transferred by your job?) then Chicago Booth is one to consider.

Hope this helps as you tackle your research for the right school and right program.

tl;dr: Yes you can change from engineering -> mgmt consulting through a P/T MBA but it's got some challenges, both in landing the job, and even in initially getting into a good school.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 40

Re: Move into management consulting -Part-time MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 18:12
This post received
KUDOS
highly unlikely. Management consulting is the toughest type of consulting to break into. You could possibly switch to a technical consulting gig based on your job experience, but there would be very little overlap with your current job and traditional management consulting. youd have a better shot at VC firms.

EDIT: To elaborate, management consultants spend most of their time on the road, flying around to different cities to consult. This is a serious commitment - you'd get to spend 2-3 days a week max with your family, friends, pets, and even your own bed. If you wouldn't be willing to commit to a full time program, I doubt the MC companies would look twice at you. Or even once, really... I don't know of any that recruit for MC positions from part time programs. (keep in mind that part timers do NOT have access to the full timers job placement services... )

I'm not in MC, but my roommate is... which makes him an awesome roommate because he's never around haha.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 2

Re: Move into management consulting -Part-time MBA? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 05:39
Expert's post
I agree with Dave - he makes a great point. Keep in mind, management consulting companies only have so many post-MBA entry positions every year and it is in their best interest to pursue FT programs. The recruiting process ties in well with their operations, the candidates are more fully dedicated to the search, and the applicants' involvements in extracurriculars serve as a good indication of their fit with firm culture.

One thing to consider - if you're looking to go into niche consulting, then PT programs may give your resume something that will help it stand out but you will be applying into the experienced hiring pile. Prestigious and name brand consulting firms get hundreds of thousands resumes every year into this stack. Therefore, they'd be hiring you into a specific thing. Experienced hires do not have access to general management positions and if that is what you are looking for, you have to go FT.

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Move into management consulting -Part-time MBA? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 01:47
deepagmat82 wrote:
I am a 30 year old woman with 9 years of experience as an engineer in the silicon valley. Is it possible for me at 31 to enter into a PT MBA program and move into management consulting? What is the age barrier to move into management Consulting type roles? Am I too late?

Thank you

Age is not a barrier for anything.If you are that interested in management consulting, you can excel irrespective of your age.However its a good decision to do part-time programs on management consulting.I started my career as a management consultant at the age of 28 and currently working in KPMG,leading MNC is consulting business.So now you don't doubt on anything just follow your will and be a management consultant at the earliest.All the very best!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 344 [1] , given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Move into management consulting -Part-time MBA? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Consulting companies do not discriminate based on age de jure; however, I strongly believe that is taken into consideration during recruiting, and age/gender make it more difficult de facto.

Here are things to consider before you decide on the path.
1) If you enter PT MBA at 31, you will have your MBA at 32-34. What is your end goal after MC? Consulting has an “up or out” policy, your chance of making partner is 40 at the earliest.
2) If you have or planning to have a family, this means you will be away from home weekly working 60-100 hours per week until you are 40 at the earliest. Is that something you are prepared to do?
3) Does the PT MBA program provide access to MC? Every PT program is different, some program do not provide equal access to FT recruiting.
4) If you do have access to FT recruiting, does your current work/school situation allow you to spend an additional 20-40 hours/week during recruiting season for networking and case preparation?

That said, some of my female classmates went into consulting at that age; however, their plan was to exit after 2 years. Speaking with them now, the exit opportunities were not what they had imagined/”promised” 1.5 year in, coming out of M/B/B.
Intern
Intern

Re: Move into management consulting -Part-time MBA? [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 04:45
Ok.. wow.. there is a load of great info here. Thanks to all for all of your input. I definitely have a much clearer pic of whats involved. Sales training consultants
Intern
Intern

Re: Move into management consulting -Part-time MBA? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 18:55
deepagmat82 wrote:

Thank you

There is no age barrier to switch over the profile; in fact, scope in management consulting trade is much better than searching the opportunities in business management. Specialization or certification course in Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) or Design for Lean may lead you towards the heights; these are new prospects with less competition level. Medium and large scale units are applying both these methodologies.
Re: Move into management consulting -Part-time MBA?   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2014, 18:55