Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 65

GMAT Tests User
Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 20:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:54) correct 20% (00:48) wrong based on 319 sessions
Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been put into orbit around the Earth, and the chances of a collision involving such material increase greatly as the amount of both space debris and satellites continue to rise.

(A) as the amount of both space debris and satellites continue to rise

(B) as the rise continues in both the amount of satellites and space debris

(C) as the amount of space debris and the number of satellites continue to rise

(D) with the continually increasing amount of space debris and the number of satellites

(E) with the amount of space debris continuing to increase along with the number of satellites
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Last edited by scheol79 on 28 Oct 2010, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Diction; Rhetorical construction [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 23:09
This post received
KUDOS
I pick C
"as" sounds better than "with" so D, E out
debris is non-countable while satellite is countable

Hardworkingly, you like my post, so kudos me.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 19

Re: Diction; Rhetorical construction [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 23:17
This post received
KUDOS
amount refers to a quantity that is uncountable. Whereas satellites are countable. hence Incorrect.

same as A. Satellites are countable. Also rise sounds better as a verb than as a Subject in this sentence.

As X & Y continue to rise. S+V agree. Also number refers correctly to satellites. hence Right answer.

(D) with the continually increasing amount of space debris and the number of satellites
Wordy. Ambiguity in the use of Increase instead of rise. Such prefers the use of 'as' instead of 'with'.

(E) with the amount of space debris continuing to increase along with the number of satellites
Wordy and redundant. Such prefers the use of 'as' instead of 'with'.
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 117 [2] , given: 7

Re: Diction; Rhetorical construction [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
You both nailed this problem.

It's critical to understand not only the grammar behind the GMAT, but also the way the test works. As soon as you see "the number" or "less than" or "fewer" in an underlined section of SC, chances are you're going to have to think through countable and uncountable nouns. Be on the look out for that issue.

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 23:27
Answers A and B are incorrect. "Satellites" are countable. Therefore, it is incorrect to say "the amount of satellites."
Answer C is correct.
Answers D and E are much longer and redundant in comparison to answer C. Also they use "with" instead of "as", which is less favored in the GMAT. Moreover, answer E changes the intended meaning because of the use of "along with" instead of "and." The original sentence suggests that the number of satellites and the amount of space debris continue to rise and that these are two separate problems. Answer E states that the amount of debris is correlated with the number of satellites.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 05:05
pls, explain fully why D is wrong. I think D is wrong because of meaning problem.

"with phrase" can modify noun a a clause. why "with phrase " is wrong in D.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1266

Kudos [?]: 3518 [1] , given: 185

Re: Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
thangvietnam wrote:
pls, explain fully why D is wrong. I think D is wrong because of meaning problem.

Hi there,

Choice D: with the continually increasing amount of space debris and the number of satellites
Notice the parallel list in this sentence – chances increase greatly with
a. The continually increasing amount of space debris
b. The number of satellites.
This is not the intended meaning of the sentence. Per the sentence both are increasing and this choice fails to communicate that.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 00:05
in c, " as" shows the simultaneousness of 2 actions, the intended meaning

in D, "with phrase" shows the context of the main clause and is distorted meaning.

I learn english when they study gmat

with they studying gmat, I learn english.

the second sentence is correct though "with" refers to no noun in the main clause.

in the context that thay study gmat, I study english. the first sentence has different meaning.

If choice D stand alone it is correct, but if C and D stand together and C is closer to the meaning of the original sentence, C is correct and D is considered distorted.

is my thinking correct? pls comment
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 356 [1] , given: 182

Re: Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 01:47
This post received
KUDOS
I think intended meaning here is to give the reasoning for certain prediction using the conjunction "As". The use of "with" here gives impression that given events are the independent events that are occurring simultaneously, and hence fails to establish the causal relationship. Use of "as" is more appropriate here.

Choice (C) depicts the required reasoning and establishes the relationship between two events:
(cause) As the amount of space debris and the number of satellites continue to rise -> (effect) the chances of a collision involving such material increase greatly.

PS: Grammatically "with" can only act as a Preposition. It cannot be used as a conjunction.

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 02:36
scheol79 wrote:
Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been put into orbit around the Earth, and the chances of a collision involving such material increase greatly as the amount of both space debris and satellites continue to rise.

why D is wrong

there is pattern
main clause+with+noun+noun modifier.

this pattern require a comma before "with". D has no comma.

in this pattern, "with...." can show the reason for the main clause. This reason happen before the action in main clause. So grammartically, "increasing amount and number" happen before the "increase" in the main clause. This is not logic.

the logic meaning relation between 2 actions is the simultaneousness which is expressed in choice C.

I think this question is strange because gmat never test a hard point like this

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 35

CAT Tests
Re: Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 21:01
egmat wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:

Hi there,

Choice D: with the continually increasing amount of space debris and the number of satellites
Notice the parallel list in this sentence – chances increase greatly with
a. The continually increasing amount of space debris
b. The number of satellites.
This is not the intended meaning of the sentence. Per the sentence both are increasing and this choice fails to communicate that.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Can't "continually increasing " modify the amount and the number at the same time? And one more question. I understand that the amount of satellites is wrong. But just want to understand the structure. In B, can "the amount of" be understood in reference to satellites? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Re: Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 09:01
If you want "continually increasing" to modify the amount and the number at the same time, you cannot have the "the" before "number of satellites". Think of it as a parallelism thing -- "the" X amount and "the" number. The parallel structure and the conjunction suggest that there are two independent entities, so the adjective of the first (increasing) cannot apply to the second.

In B, you cannot have "amount" with the countable "satellites".

--Prasad

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Re: Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2014, 09:01