Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1213 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Need advice regarding GMAT preparation(currently in chaos). [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:

First of all thanks for sharing your journal, but i must admit that you are on much better ground at this time than I am, with regards to prep. The one month window is all i got and in this time one thing is sure that i cannot join any prep course such as knewton etc. The only sources available to me right now are the Manhattan series ,GmatClub forum, OG(books) and about 2 dozens of practice tests available(6 princeton, 6 manhattan, 4 kaplan, 2 Gmat prep,3 old GMAT tests) with me. I have to take full advantage of these resources but only need right guidance to do so.I am not ambitious about getting 750 or more but i also cannot afford a score below 670!
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ok...
Look, honestly I think taking too many practice tests is NOT going to help.
I think you should review concepts you are weak at. If you are willing to share, I might help you to suggest what all you should work on. And dude, Kaplan is NOT representative at all. Running joke is, kaplan's GMAT is based on a maximum of 700 :P. I ll suggest take gmatprep1 tomorrow to see where you stand and work your way up from there.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Ok...
Look, honestly I think taking too many practice tests is NOT going to help.
I think you should review concepts you are weak at. If you are willing to share, I might help you to suggest what all you should work on. And dude, Kaplan is NOT representative at all. Running joke is, kaplan's GMAT is based on a maximum of 700 :P. I ll suggest take gmatprep1 tomorrow to see where you stand and work your way up from there.

Thanks, i will surely look into your advice, i'll start with error log i made and will work on the questions/areas in which i struggled. I will give my gmat prep1 in a week or so.Ill update you on the same.Thanks :)
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sure man.
You sound like a man with a plan.
I am sure you will do good!
Cheers
:-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Sure man.
You sound like a man with a plan.
I am sure you will do good!
Cheers
:-)

Well it seems like my plan is not working as expected.
Gave Manhattan CAT 1, and got a dismal 640 (Q46 v32) , after all revision and stuff.
I am struggling with speed in quant and especially for tough problems.
Was destroyed by verbal as i was not able to complete my section within 75 minutes resulting in 7 question unanswered.

In lieu of the current situation, I'm planning to postpone my GMAT test date from Sept 7th to Oct 13th!
I'm not sure if postponing the dates will help me in any way but one thing is for sure giving and wasting mock tests won't help me in any way until i improve my speed in both sections.
Any tips to improve speed/accuracy in quant for 700+ problems. My accuracy rate for these questions on an avg. is about 20% when i try within 2 minutes and goes up to 70% when i take more than 5 minutes. The biggest problem is that it takes me almost 1 minute only to understand the freaking problem :(.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
Don't get discouraged by MGMAT, rather try GMAT Prep Version 2.0 under fully official conditions, AWA/IR taking energy drinks etc and see how much you score. You can also you MGMAT test analysis to figure out your weak areas and work on them.
IMO there is nothing called 700 level problem and 600 level problem in Quant. There are areas of strength and weaknesses. You can solve 700 level problem in the areas of strength and miss 600 level problem in areas of weaknesses.

Thanks Abhi for your encouraging thoughts :) , gonna need lots of them these days.
I am planning to give Gmat Prep 1 in 2-3 days which will help in better introspection and for the time ill try to further analyze my weaknesses. I also admit that there are certain topics/areas in which I am weak eg. combinatorics and probability, some cases of word problems topics, but a tough problem is a tough problem, at-least for me, be it any topic.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Another sad day of my GMAT journey.
GMAT Prep1: 610 (Q48 V26)
Incorrect(quant) 13/37
Incorrect verbal 14/41
Worse thing was that i could not evaluate all my mistakes :(. The regular household power supply is not always on friendly terms with the common man in India, and with that the GMAT prep software also gave me a surprise by not persisting any information on the test i gave. :(
Do i need to have retake the same test inorder to review the questions or there is some other way out?

All things aside, my main question is should i give GMAT on 13th, October 2012?
I know this is kind of stupid question to ask as only i can give the most reasonable answer after introspecting myself. I just want to have opinion of experts and peers who might have gone through similar situations or have dealt with students like me. People can always judge and tell , "hey! this seems a bad idea" or "Forget it, lower your expectations" and may be "definitely, 680+ can be achieved in 1 month :P" .
Target Score
680+
My progress so Far
MGMAT cat1 got 640(q46 v31),
MGMAT 2 660(q44 v35) and
GMat prep 1(610 Q48 v 26).
I found that the questions in MGMAT cat for quant are litle tough but the marking is lenient, where as for the verbal section, i feel the MGMAT gives score on a bit higher sides.

What i studied
Till now i went through OG-12 ,verbal/quant review once.
I used Manhattan strategy guides for verbal (SC, RC, and CR all read 1 time) and took advantage/help of GMAT club resources and members for my quant.
Resources left
I'm left with 4 MGMAT CATs and GMAT prep-2, i have also borrowed PS CR bible from my friend to help me through.

Time i can devote
3 hrs weekdays ; 6hrs week ends ;Total approx. around 140hrs.

Weaknesses i observed
1:) time management , almost 1 question always left in each section every-time; disproportionate time spending on questions.
2:)Oversight mistakes in SC, struggle in CR medium/harder questions.
RC im clue less, always running short on time and end up guessing in panic.My accuracy in attempting RC questions never topped more than 60% be it OG or any other material when done in a timed environment.

I am writing all this just to keep a track of my self and to elicit response and help from the members in form of valuable advice and encouragement. Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot