Thank you for using the timer!
We noticed you are actually not timing your practice. Click the START button first next time you use the timer.
There are many benefits to timing your practice, including:
Hi all, just happened to find this site thru google and it's been a great read! Was wondering your advice on a topic: I received admits to three schools - a small scholarship at my top choice, none at my 2nd, and a large scholarship at my third choice.
Is there any way to go to school #1 to see if they will match school #3's offer in some way? Any precedent for this happening? I'm still going to go to school #1, but some extra money would be nice
I haven't a clue, but I can offer you this bit of advice you have probably already figured out for yourself.
99.9% of the time it would be a big mistake to chase after the larger scholarship and go to your 3rd choice program. Getting your MBA is a large commitment of time, effort and money wherever you go, so don't shortchange yourself to save a couple bucks in the short run. Remember, student loans get paid off, but your education lasts a lifetime
Its worth a shot, at most they will say no dice and you get what you get. Just say they are your top choice but the full scholarship is very enticing and since you are poor it may be a deciding factor. Your chances of succeeding are obviously much better if they are peer schools...if one is a top 10 school and the other is barely on the rankings then its probably not going to work. _________________
Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond. GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Did you get admits in Harvard and Wisconsin? Or you are a Wisconsin undergrad going for a Harvard MBA? I am just curious about your avatar.
I'm still a few years off from applying! I'm finishing up my undergrad this semester and working for 2-3 years in between.
My original plan was to apply to Wisconsin alone, specifically their real estate program which I believe is #3 behind Wharton and Haas. However I'm getting more and more interested in HBS for general management so if I do well enough on the GMAT in ~5 weeks (which is looking promising) I'll be applying to UW and HBS as my only two schools
I was in your boat last year. All schools run their scholarships a bit differently. I think I remember hearing about one guy last year who simply called the school and an hour later had another $10k or something like that.
And then there's the other experience: you essentially have to write another essay. The AdComs might say that an MBA is a major financial investment for everyone, so they can't consider financial need. Instead, you have to convince them that you are even cooler than they originally thought.
Hey - thanks for the responses. Yup, they are roughly peers, both top 15 schools that don't do need-based scholarships. I figure a call or e-mail can't hurt. Like others have said, in the end it really isn't the best choice to go to the lower-ranked less-of-a-fit school over a scholarship anyways.
Sorry all, its been awhile since I've posted here, but with the wedding and honeymoon its been a hectic couple of months to start this year. I thought I'd pipe up here because I have some recent experience with this, in my own way. I have already been lucky enough to be awarded a good scholarship to Emory, but looking at my financial situation after the wedding extravaganza, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if there were any additional funds available. I called a contact in admissions, let them know that I had "other opportunities" that were better financially. I let them know they were definitely my top choice, but asked if there was anything that could be done to help with the financial burden. I was required to send an e-mail reiterating what I had said in the phone conversation. My case was then reviewed by adcom and I received an additional $6K. Not a ton, but for nothing really changing in my application status, that was very welcome. And, it proves to me again that Emory is where I belong. If the school really wants you, I think they will at least make the effort to try to increase your scholarship if any funds are available.
So, basically, I did not name any other schools, or competing offers, I just let them know that the financial aspect was important in my decision making process. _________________
Member Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56279
Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).
Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Negotiating a scholarship?
05 Oct 2014, 10:08
Check out this awesome article about Anderson on Poets Quants, http://poetsandquants.com/2015/01/02/uclas-anderson-school-morphs-into-a-friendly-tech-hub/ . Anderson is a great place! Sorry for the lack of updates recently. I...