Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 14:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

53% (01:42) correct 47% (01:05) wrong based on 89 sessions
Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive house and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

A. Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive house and furniture, but it also
B. Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
C. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
E. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it

Please explain. Tks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing ... [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 14:35
B

The correct idiom is not only x but also y.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Not only did the systematic clearing ... [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 14:40
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Not only did the systematic clearing ... [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 04:13
The idiom is not only but also.
However, OA is D, which says not only but it also.
Could anybody explain that?
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Not only did the systematic clearing ... [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 04:22
According to my understanding, the following construcions are...

NOT ONLY X BUT ALSO Y: CORRECT
NOT ONLY X BUT IT/THEY ALSO Y: INCORRECT
NOT ONLY X BUT Y: CORRECT
X, BUT Y: CORRECT
X, BUT ALSO Y: CORRECT

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 112

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing ... [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 07:02
noboru wrote:
The idiom is not only but also.
However, OA is D, which says not only but it also.
Could anybody explain that?
Thanks.

Hi Noboru ..

Just see the question from a different perspective ... Not only ...but also in question does not necessarily means that we need to correct thisidiom only ....
in my mind I flipped the sentence .. hence selected D ...
Note that D does not use any idiom.... So
I have removed the the idiom , my sentence is in Active poice ,, the two parts of my sentence are parallel....hene opted for D

reg
10 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [10] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Not only did the systematic clearing ... [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I read it on a forum somewhere..

Not only... But also ... is basically used when both the clauses have the same note i.e. either positive or negative..

Eg: Not only did he score well, but also he topped the exams.

However, in the above sentence, both the clauses are contrasting in the mood.. thus, D choice fits the mood perfectly.. :)

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [2] , given: 6

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing ... [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
D for me.

The sentence is saying that 'systematic clearing of forests' had couple good effect but it had couple bad effects also.

good effects --> created farmland and gave inexpensive furniture and houses

But

bad effects --> caused erosion and deforested whole regions.

D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also caused erosion and deforested whole regions.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Not only did the systematic clearing ... [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 05:33
Starting to understand this.

Is For B, is "which" used incorrectly? i.e. relates to Farmland instead of the systemic.. and also "but also caused erosion" incorrect also?
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 06:17
OA please ???

B looks good though...

just one more month for exam...

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 11

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 21:53
mohan514 wrote:
OA please ???

B looks good though...

It should be D

Not only , but also is used with two things that a parallel.

Here one is giving a positive effect and the second a negative , and hence this usage is not suitable.
Here it is illogical to use "not only, but also"

So A and B out
C is a fragment - Out
E - "giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture" - this is modifying the previous clause, which again is illogical - Out.

D remains - Answer

Thanks,
Ankit

You want something, go get it . Period !

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 23

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United [#permalink] New post 25 May 2013, 04:13
This post received
KUDOS
Post by one of the manhattan gmat expert , RON , on option D , as to why is it right.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/not ... t3129.html

-Jyothi
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 5

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 17:38
Here's the first look in what I wanted to test for: proper idiom (not only, but also), grammatical construction (complete sentence), misplaced modifier (gave/giving)

A. Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive house and furniture, but it also Wrong - "create" should be past tense and parallel to "gave"; "but it also" is a red flag, but it seems grammatically correct.

B. Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also Wrong - "which gave" improperly modifies farmland; there should be no comma before "but also" because it shares the same subject.

C. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also Wrong - The subject "the systematic" needs a verb; "but also" lacks a subject too.

D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also Correct - "It" takes the "systematic clearing"; the verbs are parallel.

E. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it Wrong - lacks correct idiomatic expression (not only...but also); "it" doesn't have a proper referent, as the subject should already be implied

IMO D

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 39

Reviews Badge
Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United [#permalink] New post 19 May 2014, 19:10
anonymousvn wrote:
Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive house and furniture, but it also caused erosion and very quickly deforested whole regions.

A. Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive house and furniture, but it also
B. Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
C. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also
D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also
E. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it

Please explain. Tks

Dear e-gmat, please help.

Meaning: The systematic clearing has done 2 +ve things (created farmland,gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture) and 2 -ve things (caused erosion,deforested whole regions).

Error analysis: in option A, the verb 'gave' should be 'give'. I am unable to identify any other errors in option A. I think any gmat question would have atleast 2 to 3 errors in it.

POE:
A. Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive house and furniture, but it also (explained above)
B. Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United States create farmland (especially in the Northeast), which gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also ("Not only...But also" should be used to compare 2 positive or 2 negative entities, its not the case here; 'which' is wrongly referring to farmland)
C. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but also (no verb here for the subject 'the systematic clearing')
D. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States created farmland (especially in the Northeast) and gave consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it also (verbs are corrected here, both 'created' and 'gave' are in past tense, not only....but also construction is not here...correct choice)
E. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States not only created farmland (especially in the Northeast), giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but it (changes the meaning, 'creating farmland' and 'giving consumers cheap houses and furniture' are two different, independent effects so ,+verb-ing modifier usage is wrong here)

pls let me know if there are other issues with option A or any other choice
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 09:41
The answer is D.

It was a close one between B and D, but the error in B is the incorrect modifier. The use of "which" in B modifies farmlands and implies that they gave consumers cheap houses and furniture but that is not true, its the systematic clearing that provided all of these things. Although B uses the correct idiom "not only... but also", I do not think thats what is being tested here. Choice D correctly states that the systematic clearing created farmlands, cheap houses and furniture.
Re: Not only did the systematic clearing of forest in the United   [#permalink] 22 May 2014, 09:41