Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Not sure where to start because of glaring fault in candidacy [#permalink]
Expert Reply
holdenpc wrote:
Hi All,

I'm not really sure when to start my school research, as I have some issues with my academic profile.

First, things about me that are OK:
-27/White/M
-690 GMAT (43Q/41V) - 1st attempt
-710 GMAT (49Q/38V) - 2nd attempt
-spent first two years out of college as an equity analyst @ small ($150M AUM) hedge fund.
-spent last two+ years as VP, Business Development at family manufacturing business, 20M Rev/yr, 60 employees (this is probably my main selling point, going to business school to learn skills to take over, become CEO, etc.)
^ This profile looks like it might warrant admittance to some of the schools I want to go to (Sloan, Columbia, Kellogg)

The caveat:
-3.0 undergraduate GPA in Business Administration from small Jesuit university.
-Not only a low GPA, but I started in 2007 and did not have my degree conferred until SPRING 2015!
-For various reasons, none of which are good, I finished "on-time" in May '11 with all but 3 credits (1 course) to take. Unfortunately, I didn't take that course until this past spring.

So this glaring issue with my profile is throwing me for a loop, confusing me as to my "legitimate" chances at some of the top schools. It makes me wonder if I should be looking more in the 15-20 range.

Thoughts?

Thank you for providing an overview of your profile. While the education gap won't help you (nor will the 3.0), these are certainly possible to overcome. The family business will definitely work in your favor. I worked with a number of applicants from family businesses this year and every one was successful getting into top schools (more than a couple with less than stellar profiles). In fact, all schools on your list will appreciate your background. Kellogg has a great amount of family business support as you know. The key is developing a strong pitch that explains the reasons why everything happened as it did.

What are your thoughts on retaking the GMAT? You have a good profile to apply to these schools but you could improve it if you could add a few points. I recommend applying across a range of schools. Definitely go for some in the top 10 as you have but you may want to add 1-2 others to be on the safer side. I may take a more aggressive stance once I learn more about your extra-curricular activities. Feel free to send me an email if you want to talk further about how I can help you with your applications: scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Not sure where to start because of glaring fault in candidacy [#permalink]