Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
OG 15 diagnostic test accuracy/difficulty? [#permalink]
Hi guys, thanks for the detailed replies.

Ive been studying for around 2 months.

I took both of the gmat.com CATs, one for my diagnostic exactly 2 months ago, and one about 2 weeks ago. I started at 580 (41/29) and the second time I got 720 (49/39). However, in the second time, there were a lot of many that I remember from doing in the first, so this obviously affects the scoring. I wrote the IR both times, and it didnt change. I never wrote the essay part.

My score goal is around 725.

My original goal was 3 months, but I feel no reason to rush since I believe I am still improving my scores consistently.

I would like to be in Bschool in Sept 2016.

For study material, I have a set of OG 15 and MGMAT books in pdf version from a friend, but no access to any CAT exams (other than the 2 freebies from mba.com) or question banks from MGMAT or other schools. Is it enough to just use the questions online (gmatclub), and the questions from the 3 Official Guides (Verbal, Quant, OG) + quesitons in the MGMAT textbooks or should I buy something like a package questions + CAT exams pack?

Also, are there any recommended free CAT tests?

Thanks for your feedback!
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: OG 15 diagnostic test accuracy/difficulty? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
@ggsurface

Based on your quant diagnostic performance, I would say you are in excellent shape and should target Q50/51. I am surprised that you got repeats on the CATs in GMATPrep. The recommended setting is take Test 1, then Test 2, don't take Test 1 twice because there will be repeats in this case. However, if you do Test 1 and then Test 2, there will not be any repeats.

As far as CATs, I wouldn't recommend any of the free CATs, but if you can spend some money get the GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 that comes with two additional official CATs.

Dabral
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ggurface,

I'm hoping that you can clarify some of what you wrote:

When you took your 'second' CAT, did you retake CAT1 or did you actually take the second GMAC Cat? If you saw a bunch of repeat questions, then that second score is likely 'inflated' and not a realistic assessment of your skills. As such, you really should plan to take a *new* FULL-LENGTH CAT - there are plenty of different CATs that can all be purchased at a reasonable price.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ggurface,

I'm hoping that you can clarify some of what you wrote:

When you took your 'second' CAT, did you retake CAT1 or did you actually take the second GMAC Cat? If you saw a bunch of repeat questions, then that second score is likely 'inflated' and not a realistic assessment of your skills. As such, you really should plan to take a *new* FULL-LENGTH CAT - there are plenty of different CATs that can all be purchased at a reasonable price.

Rich

I took your advice and I wrote MGMAT's free CAT. Im pretty pleased with my score: :-D :-D :-D

I did all the sections in standard timing, and I actually went too quickly for Quant and Verbal, I had like an extra 2 minutes for quant an extra 4 or so for verbal, so I just went extra slow when I realized towards the end.

How hard is the MGMAT practice CAT?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ggurface,

That's great news about this most recent CAT. Assuming that you made the overall experience 'match up' with what you'll experience on Test Day (in as many ways as was reasonably possible), then it looks like you're in position to hit your score goals on the Official GMAT.

Your next task should be to do a full question-by-question review of this CAT and note any little mistakes you made and any concepts that need further review.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot