Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been [#permalink]
Kudos
I feel like 3.3.6.6.14 is not the right answer.

Imagine the first textbook has questions Q1, Q2, Q3. Now we can choose one of these, so it's a multiplier of 3. Let's say we picked Q1. Once we've finished picking the 4 questions and now it's time to pick the final question, imagine we pick from the first textbook. Since we already picked Q1, now we can only pick Q2 and Q3. This is a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q2.

However, imagine another situation where we picked Q2 first, and then in the fifth round we can pick Q1 or Q3. It's still a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q1.

However, picking Q1 first then Q2 later, or Q2 first and Q1 later, are the same combinations.
But by using the 14- multipliers, we are not accounting for this.

I think the OA is wrong as well...
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619101 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jubinell wrote:

Imagine the first textbook has questions Q1, Q2, Q3. Now we can choose one of these, so it's a multiplier of 3. Let's say we picked Q1. Once we've finished picking the 4 questions and now it's time to pick the final question, imagine we pick from the first textbook. Since we already picked Q1, now we can only pick Q2 and Q3. This is a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q2.

However, imagine another situation where we picked Q2 first, and then in the fifth round we can pick Q1 or Q3. It's still a multiplier of 2. Let's imagine we picked Q1.

However, picking Q1 first then Q2 later, or Q2 first and Q1 later, are the same combinations.

That's correct.

On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been taken from each of four chapters. The first two chapters have 3 questions each, the last two chapters have 6 questions each. The fourth question can be picked from any of the four chapters. How many different question papers could have been prepared?
A. 540
B. 1260
C. 1080
D. 400
E. 4860

We can pick 2 questions from either of the four chapters.

If 2 questions are picked from the first chapter: \(C^2_3*3*6*6\);

If 2 questions are picked from the second chapter: \(3*C^2_3*6*6\);

If 2 questions are picked from the third chapter: \(3*3*C^2_6*6\);

If 2 questions are picked from the third chapter: \(3*3*6*C^2_6\).

Total = 2,268.

There is no correct answer among the options.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
jubinell wrote:

That's correct.

On a class test there are 5 questions. One question has been taken from each of four chapters. The first two chapters have 3 questions each, the last two chapters have 6 questions each. The fourth question can be picked from any of the four chapters. How many different question papers could have been prepared?
A. 540
B. 1260
C. 1080
D. 400
E. 4860

Total = 2,268.

Hi Bunuel,

I understood the way you have solved, but could you please help me understanding where I am going wrong.

I solved it using the following method

3C1 * 3C1 * 6C1 * 6C1 * 14C1
1st q 2nd q 3rd q 4th q 5th q

14C1 is because we are left with 2+2+5+5 questions in each of the chapters respectively and that we have to chose the last one from those remaining.

When I solve this I get double of 2268 i.e. 4536...

Thanks in advance!!!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619101 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
shameekv wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jubinell wrote:

That's correct.

A. 540
B. 1260
C. 1080
D. 400
E. 4860

Total = 2,268.

Hi Bunuel,

I understood the way you have solved, but could you please help me understanding where I am going wrong.

14C1 is because we are left with 2+2+5+5 questions in each of the chapters respectively and that we have to chose the last one from those remaining.

Thanks in advance!!!

Partly your doubt is addressed here: on-a-class-test-there-are-5-questions-one-question-has-been-149937.html#p1267093

Or consider this. With your solution we can get: A1, B1, C1, D1, and then A2. But we can also get: A2, B1, C1, D1, and then A1, which is basically the same set.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
shameekv wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jubinell wrote:

That's correct.

A. 540
B. 1260
C. 1080
D. 400
E. 4860

Total = 2,268.

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi, Well I am still in confusion..

What if the question had asked if there were 6 questions to be picked and last 2 can be picked from any of those questions remaining? And also if the last 2 can be picked only from one of the chapters.

Are we trying to divide the term 4536 by 2! since 2 questions represent same set from 1 chapter?

Could you please elaborate on this? I am trying to understand the concept here..
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619101 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
shameekv wrote:
shameekv wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

That's correct.

A. 540
B. 1260
C. 1080
D. 400
E. 4860

Total = 2,268.

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi, Well I am still in confusion..

What if the question had asked if there were 6 questions to be picked and last 2 can be picked from any of those questions remaining? And also if the last 2 can be picked only from one of the chapters.

Are we trying to divide the term 4536 by 2! since 2 questions represent same set from 1 chapter?

Could you please elaborate on this? I am trying to understand the concept here..

The following post might help: 4-professors-and-6-students-are-being-considered-for-85865-20.html#p1265096

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Problem Solving (PS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92929 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts