Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One pervasive theory explains the introduction of breakfast

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

One pervasive theory explains the introduction of breakfast [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2005, 02:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
One pervasive theory explains the introduction of breakfast cereals in the early 1900s as a result of the growing number of automobiles, which led to a decline in horse ownership and a subsequent grain glut; by persuading people to eat what had previously been horse feed, market equilibrium was restored.

(A) by persuading people to eat what had previously been horse feed, market equilibrium was restored
(B) persuading people to eat what had previously been horse feed restored market equilibrium
(C) by persuading people to eat what had previously been horse feed, it restored market equilibrium
(D) the persuasion of people to eat what had previously been horse feed restored market equilibrium
(E) market equilibrium was restored when people were persuaded to eat former horse feed
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sorry, what is wrong with d? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2005, 07:01
okdongdong wrote:
sorry, what is wrong with d?

Let me give this a try

I was initially torn between B and D but if you notice, the persuassion of people acts as a noun here and it makes it sound as if it is the persuassion that restored the market equilibrum.

Whereas in B, persuading (Gerund in this case) give a more logical meaning to the sentence. I stand corrected on this though :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2005, 12:07
I narrowed the choices to B and D, and finally chose D. The rule of the semicolon is that it should link two independent clauses. B and D are independent clauses, but B is more concise. By definition, a clause cannot stand on it own, and that it should have a subject and a verb. D can stand on its own, therefore D is not a clause.

Therefore B is the answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2005, 00:38
what's wrong with E, except for Passive Voice? it looks pretty good.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2005, 13:11
agree with B.
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
a clause cannot stand on it own

is that true darth? i think a clause, not dependent clause, can stand on its own. pls correct me......
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2005, 18:14
B should be it.

D seems to indicate that the persuasion of people restored market equilibrium

Now look at the non-underlined portion, we need a noun parallel to introduction (implies that some agent introduced it), which can be parallel to persuading and not persuasion.

E has a problem. (who restored market equilibrium) and also not parallel with the introdcution.

A has a misplaced modifier problem in the second IC

C it pronoun problem, no need of it
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

How is persuading parallel to introduction? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2005, 22:44
Quote:
Now look at the non-underlined portion, we need a noun parallel to introduction (implies that some agent introduced it), which can be parallel to persuading and not persuasion.

Could you give more explanation? Many thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2005, 12:32
This post received
KUDOS
This sentence needs parallelism.

The introduction in the first clause needs to parallel to another noun in the second clause.

The difference between B and D is simple

Non-underlined portion
One pervasive theory explains the introduction of breakfast;

underlined portion
persuading people restored market equilibrium
the persuasion of people restored market equilibrium

How can the persuasion of people restore market equilibrium? Persuade means an act or to lead to accept a statement.

The only work that can fit is persuading (gerund).

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2005, 12:42
HIMALAYA wrote:
agree with B.
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
a clause cannot stand on it own

is that true darth? i think a clause, not dependent clause, can stand on its own. pls correct me......

Thank you for correcting me Himalaya. I had meant to say that a dependent clause cannot stand on its own. But your question got me curious, and I looked up the definition of clauses and you are right, an independent clause can stand on its own. I am pasting this wonderful url below on an explanation about clauses. Feel free to go through it.

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/clauses.htm
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2005, 15:16
riteshgupta1 wrote:
B should be it.

D seems to indicate that the persuasion of people restored market equilibrium

E has a problem. (who restored market equilibrium) and also not parallel with the introdcution.

A has a misplaced modifier problem in the second IC

C it pronoun problem, no need of it

Ritesh can you elaborate error in A apart from the clause being passive?
S

Regards, S

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2005, 15:35
(A) by persuading people to eat what had previously been horse feed, market equilibrium was restored

A has a misplaced modifier problem. It seem to indicate that market equilibrium was persuading people...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2005, 08:18
I remember reading that sentences sepearted by a semi colon have to be independent sentences, which can stand on their own. E is the best choice. Let me flip through my sc notes to check. I've been out of touch with them for quite a while. :wink:
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 230 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc: persuasive theory [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 23:46
This post received
KUDOS
Excellent discussion! I will add value to this post.

a semicolon joins two independent clauses rather than an independent clause and a dependent clause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon

okdongdong wrote:
One pervasive theory explains the introduction of breakfast cereals in the early 1900s as a result of the growing number of automobiles, which led to a decline in horse ownership and a subsequent grain glut; by persuading people to eat what had previously been horse feed, market equilibrium was restored.

misplaced modifier. market equilibrium cannot persuade someone.

(B) persuading people to eat what had previously been horse feed restored market equilibrium

(C) by persuading people to eat what had previously been horse feed, it restored market equilibrium

(D) the persuasion of people to eat what had previously been horse feed restored market equilibrium
had been. vs. previously
redundant

(E) market equilibrium was restored when people were persuaded to eat former horse feed
horse feed is a noun here.

I actually did not like this question. It should be horse fed, not horse feed (as in horse food).
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc: persuasive theory [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 02:17
bmwhype2 wrote:
Excellent discussion! I will add value to this post.

a semicolon joins two independent clauses rather than an independent clause and a dependent clause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon

okdongdong wrote:

had been. vs. previously
redundant

This actually distorts the intent of the sentence - the people had been persuaded to eat what was horse feed and this restored market equilibrium -
The sentence as above suggests that the people had persuaded themselves OF THEIR OWN ACCORD which is untrue or at least not what the purport of this sentence is.

It was NOT the PERSUASION of the people TO EAT what had previously been horse feed that restored market equilibrium. THere's a subtle change here..

horse feed is a noun here.

I actually did not like this question. It should be horse fed, not horse feed (as in horse food).

It was actually HORSE FEED (as in horse food, the GRAIN) that people were persuaded to eat and as a result of which market equilibrium was restored. No problem with Horse feed there.

This is an all time classic question!
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: sorry, what is wrong with d? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 02:19
Folaa3 wrote:
okdongdong wrote:
sorry, what is wrong with d?

Let me give this a try

I was initially torn between B and D but if you notice, the persuassion of people acts as a noun here and it makes it sound as if it is the persuassion that restored the market equilibrum.

Whereas in B, persuading (Gerund in this case) give a more logical meaning to the sentence. I stand corrected on this though :lol:

Folaa has a thousand times more succinctly stated what I was trying to say earlier..
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 19:13
I am going with E on this..as Ywilfred pointed out its an independent clause!
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 361

Kudos [?]: 1783 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: sc: persuasive theory [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2008, 04:57
Expert's post
OA is B

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Re: sc: persuasive theory   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2008, 04:57