Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 09:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oxbridge 2011 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 08:53
BigRedEnvEng wrote:
blabudu wrote:
I got an invite as well, and I will be arriving on February 21st!
Could anyone share their Cambridge interview experience?

Good luck to all!
:-D

Cambridge interview experience was great. Some thoughts:

- If you can, I highly recommend attending the dinner the night before. It gives you an opportunity to meet other candidates and current students and to see the inside of one of the colleges.

- I would be prepared for the interview, but don't be too nervous. Be yourself, show them who you are, I really think that's what they're looking for. Be able to explain weaknesses in your app, but don't harp on them. They've invited you for an interview, so they're already taking the stand that you can overcome any weaknesses to succeed at JBS.

- Take every opportunity possible to speak with the other candidates, current students, and MBA admissions staff. The whole experience provides you with a much better understanding of the types of students who attend Cambridge and of people who might be in your class. They will also give you a lot of information that you can't find on the website or even from walking around the school.

- Bring an umbrella and a jacket. Even if the forecast doesn't call for rain, bring an umbrella. Better safe than sorry.

- If you have the time, walk around the city and the college. Get a map and get a better feel for where everything is and what the city's like. Remember that, unless you live in England, you probably won't have an opportunity to return to Cambridge after interview decisions are sent. You'll have to submit your college choices pretty quick and it will be helpful to have at least some sense on where you might want to live. You'll also want to know that you will enjoy living in the city for a year.

Have fun and good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions :gl

Longtime lurker here ;-)

Anyone else attending on-campus Cambridge interviews March 7th?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 14:35
pavlov wrote:
BigRedEnvEng wrote:
blabudu wrote:
I got an invite as well, and I will be arriving on February 21st!
Could anyone share their Cambridge interview experience?

Good luck to all!
:-D

Cambridge interview experience was great. Some thoughts:

- If you can, I highly recommend attending the dinner the night before. It gives you an opportunity to meet other candidates and current students and to see the inside of one of the colleges.

- I would be prepared for the interview, but don't be too nervous. Be yourself, show them who you are, I really think that's what they're looking for. Be able to explain weaknesses in your app, but don't harp on them. They've invited you for an interview, so they're already taking the stand that you can overcome any weaknesses to succeed at JBS.

- Take every opportunity possible to speak with the other candidates, current students, and MBA admissions staff. The whole experience provides you with a much better understanding of the types of students who attend Cambridge and of people who might be in your class. They will also give you a lot of information that you can't find on the website or even from walking around the school.

- Bring an umbrella and a jacket. Even if the forecast doesn't call for rain, bring an umbrella. Better safe than sorry.

- If you have the time, walk around the city and the college. Get a map and get a better feel for where everything is and what the city's like. Remember that, unless you live in England, you probably won't have an opportunity to return to Cambridge after interview decisions are sent. You'll have to submit your college choices pretty quick and it will be helpful to have at least some sense on where you might want to live. You'll also want to know that you will enjoy living in the city for a year.

Have fun and good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions :gl

Longtime lurker here ;-)

hey, pavlov, are u by any chance Bulgarian ;)

Anyone else attending on-campus Cambridge interviews March 7th?
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 14:39
gnope. I just like dogs. (isn't pavlov russian?)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 3

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 06:24
This post received
KUDOS
I had my Oxford interview today. It went well. The interviewer was an adcom member, very polite and humble in the whole conversation. The interview questions were pretty standard with few questions about my goals sprinkled here and there.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 09:45
pavlov wrote:
gnope. I just like dogs. (isn't pavlov russian?)

It could be Russian, or any other ex soviet country. It could also be Bulgarian.
quite off topic, but the most powerful mobster in the 1990s in Eastern Europe was called Pavlov :):):):)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cambridge (R2 Admit- will matriculate), Oxford (R2 invite- declined)
WE 1: Supply Chain Manager- start-up biotechnology company
WE 2: Supply Chain Planner- Starbucks Coffee Company

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 09:55
For those interested in Cambridge, I highly recommend reading this Businessweek article in which Conrad Chua, the Head of MBA Admissions, was interviewed. Conrad provides a very honest opinion of the program and also provides very good advice for the application and interview process.

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 755581.htm
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 22:51
friend in delhi received skype interview date from oxford for next week. same as me. no face to face slot. but he also received an evening drinks reception invitation, which i didn't :D something to be bothered about? anyone else received the drinks invite?
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 09:32
does anyone know what Cambridge's Interview-to-Admit Conversion % is?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cambridge (R2 Admit- will matriculate), Oxford (R2 invite- declined)
WE 1: Supply Chain Manager- start-up biotechnology company
WE 2: Supply Chain Planner- Starbucks Coffee Company

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 09:46
pavlov wrote:

Based on the numbers I can find in the 2010 Businessweek rankings, about 82% of those interviewed are admitted.
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 11:35
bozman wrote:
pavlov wrote:

Based on the numbers I can find in the 2010 Businessweek rankings, about 82% of those interviewed are admitted.

8-) 8-) 8-)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford - Admit

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 01:31
Had my interview yesterday!

Was a pretty straightforward one with questions below:

- My goals
- My career plan
- Why MBA?
- Why Oxford?
- Preference for Oxford compared to other colleges
and some soft skill questions!

Good luck to the rest of us!
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 10:48
The volume and depth of the valuable information that passes through this thread/site never ceases to amaze me. Truly a treasure trove of information.

Well done all.
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 22:23
Bump for Cambridge Interview March 7. Where is everyone staying at?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford '12 (R2)
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Investment Banking for Social Enterprises

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 05:38
This post received
KUDOS
Just had my Oxford interview here in Mumbai. The interviewer (Heather - from admissions) was lovely. No incredibly difficult questions, was pretty laid back and comfortable. In addition the the standard Why questions, she asked a lot about my experience working in India and with social enterprise, a time I've worked on a team and how I mediate conflict. We'll she what she thought, but I rather enjoyed it and felt I came off pretty genuine and passionate, so I was pleased. All the best to everyone!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 06:34
bozman wrote:
pavlov wrote:

Does anyone know the conversion rate for oxford?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford Said Business School
WE 1: Team Lead for IT Offshoring projects

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 19

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 07:42
Aunnie wrote:
Just had my Oxford interview here in Mumbai. The interviewer (Heather - from admissions) was lovely. No incredibly difficult questions, was pretty laid back and comfortable. In addition the the standard Why questions, she asked a lot about my experience working in India and with social enterprise, a time I've worked on a team and how I mediate conflict. We'll she what she thought, but I rather enjoyed it and felt I came off pretty genuine and passionate, so I was pleased. All the best to everyone!

Thanks for the information Aunnie. In your opinion how many candidates did they interview at your interview location on that day.
I went through SBS's candidate profile and it seems SBS admits only 3% from south east Asia(http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/degrees/mba/Pages/classprofile.aspx). Seems way too low !
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 3

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 13:56
This post received
KUDOS
If it helps anyone, got this from last years thread:

http://mba.gmatcat.com/oxford.html
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 15:57
Guys,

does anyone know whether Oxford SBS has a grade non disclosure policy? Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 14:52
From the 2010 Thread:
annae wrote:
Well, I'm on the JBS interview waitlist. "short interviewing waitlist", they said. I will hear from them by the end of March. Good news I'm not dinged straight away, but this is getting on my nerves - how can I wait until March? Do I just consider myself dinged? How many do they take off the interview wait list?

By the way, they said they received a record number of applications in this round - as well..

Does anyone know what the "interview waitlist" is at Cambridge?
Current Student
Schools: Cambridge/Judge '11
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 16:11
pavlov wrote:
Does anyone know what the "interview waitlist" is at Cambridge?

Well, Conrad is the right person to confirm this year's numbers (which he probably won't do!) but BW or something of the likes gave a number of 12 people on the list last year, and 4 admitted. I was one of those.

Those who are coming in for interviews on Monday, welcome to Cambridge. The current class is toiling away under the weight of impossible deadlines. 3 weeks to go and I am off to Thailand for a month to work on the GCP. 8-)
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2011, 16:11