Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:45 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.13
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Re: Duke Fuqua 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
happyface wrote:
I just missed a call from an unknown number? Could it be someone from Fuqua to inform me about scholarships?

The person who called me did so from a number that has a 919 area code. Not sure if that helps! Hopefully you're due for some good news on the scholarship front! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I still can't access the Incoming Student Website. I recieved the email invite for BDW this morning, but it directs you there for more information. In the acceptance letter they referenced that an email would be coming out with login information. Anyone else having issues trying to log into the site?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Don't forget to join the Class of 2014 facebook group, and feel the love

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dukemba2014/
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
aln4407 wrote:
I still can't access the Incoming Student Website. I recieved the email invite for BDW this morning, but it directs you there for more information. In the acceptance letter they referenced that an email would be coming out with login information. Anyone else having issues trying to log into the site?

Try using the e-mail address and password that you used for your application. That seems to be working for everyone one this board.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.72
WE:Business Development (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
I got an email from an Adcom member (I met him at a hub interview) basically just to say congratulations and got a call from my interviewer on the same day. A good sign for some $$$??? Or it is routine??? Do they do this to every admitted student?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
aln4407 wrote:

I can't login using the email and password I used for application also.
As I understand a new mail from admission with some instructions is to come soon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
artemlexx wrote:
aln4407 wrote:

As I understand a new mail from admission with some instructions is to come soon.

I actually had the same issue - couldn't login using the email and password I selected when completing the application - and I have yet to receive the AdCom's email.

Here's a work-around that was successful for me: Go to the Incoming Student Website page, type in your username (mine was the email address I tied my application to), select 'Forgot your password'. From there, answer a security question and they'll email you a temporary password. After resetting my password, I had full access to the Incoming Student Website!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.13
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
HopefullyMBA2014 wrote:
artemlexx wrote:
aln4407 wrote:

I actually had the same issue - couldn't login using the email and password I selected when completing the application - and I have yet to receive the AdCom's email.

Here's a work-around that was successful for me: Go to the Incoming Student Website page, type in your username (mine was the email address I tied my application to), select 'Forgot your password'. From there, answer a security question and they'll email you a temporary password. After resetting my password, I had full access to the Incoming Student Website!

I just received the e-mail for the Incoming Student Website login.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
yellosno wrote:
HopefullyMBA2014 wrote:
artemlexx wrote:

I just received the e-mail for the Incoming Student Website login.

Thanks everyone! I just got the email. Ha I think I was more impatient for this than waiting for the admissions decision!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1610 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Does anyone know how Duke looks upon someone who has taken GMAT 4 times or more? I am no way score hunting, but I am truly feel like I can do better. My highest score has been a 660 (44Q 36 V), but I have just lately been sucking on test day. My GMAT PREP practice scores range from 720-760, I plan to apply in the Fall 2012, but I am not comfortable applying with just a 660. I have a strong quant background, and I truly feel even a 680 or 690 will greatly help. Has anyone spoken to the Duke Ad Com about this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
burnttwinky wrote:
Does anyone know how Duke looks upon someone who has taken GMAT 4 times or more? I am no way score hunting, but I am truly feel like I can do better. My highest score has been a 660 (44Q 36 V), but I have just lately been sucking on test day. My GMAT PREP practice scores range from 720-760, I plan to apply in the Fall 2012, but I am not comfortable applying with just a 660. I have a strong quant background, and I truly feel even a 680 or 690 will greatly help. Has anyone spoken to the Duke Ad Com about this?

Just my two cents on the subject...

There's been some analysis done by GMAT Clubbers that shows Fuqua isn't as focused on high GMAT scores as other peer schools. That's not to say that a high score won't be seen as favorable, but rather that the AdCom really values your potential contributions to the Fuqua community and fit within the school's collaborative environment as much as anything else. Speaking from experience, I scored a 680 (46Q 38V) and got a sizable scholarship this year. If you can boost your GMAT score into the 680+ range on your next try I don't think it will be a concern. At the same time, if you don't bump north of 660 after five tries, focus on the other aspects of your application, show clear fit with Fuqua, and find ways to mitigate the lower GMAT score. You've got plenty of time - it'll work out! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HopefullyMBA2014 wrote:
burnttwinky wrote:

There's been some analysis done by GMAT Clubbers that shows Fuqua isn't as focused on high GMAT scores as other peer schools. That's not to say that a high score won't be seen as favorable, but rather that the AdCom really values your potential contributions to the Fuqua community and fit within the school's collaborative environment as much as anything else. Speaking from experience, I scored a 680 (46Q 38V) and got a sizable scholarship this year. If you can boost your GMAT score into the 680+ range on your next try I don't think it will be a concern. At the same time, if you don't bump north of 660 after five tries, focus on the other aspects of your application, show clear fit with Fuqua, and find ways to mitigate the lower GMAT score. You've got plenty of time - it'll work out! :)

I really appreciate your response. I hope that is the case because working in a collaborative nature is definitely a strength of mine. I honestly feel like the other aspects of my application are rather strong. I have 5+ years of WE (4 in engineering and a 1.5 as a capital analyst) , 3.5 gpa from a top 10 engineering program, and 3.75gpa graduate from the same engineering program. I am hoping my academics can somewhat offset my lower GMAT score. However, I completely agree, it can't hurt to take it again and see where I end up. I am dejected of my previous scores, but there have been some people on this site that have really inspired me with their great GMAT stories, and I am very grateful for that. Is it advantageous to apply for early decision vs Round 1, assuming you have your strongest application by then? I hope to visit the campus and meet with students by then.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
burnttwinky wrote:
HopefullyMBA2014 wrote:
burnttwinky wrote:

I really appreciate your response. I hope that is the case because working in a collaborative nature is definitely a strength of mine. I honestly feel like the other aspects of my application are rather strong. I have 5+ years of WE (4 in engineering and a 1.5 as a capital analyst) , 3.5 gpa from a top 10 engineering program, and 3.75gpa graduate from the same engineering program. I am hoping my academics can somewhat offset my lower GMAT score. However, I completely agree, it can't hurt to take it again and see where I end up. I am dejected of my previous scores, but there have been some people on this site that have really inspired me with their great GMAT stories, and I am very grateful for that. Is it advantageous to apply for early decision vs Round 1, assuming you have your strongest application by then? I hope to visit the campus and meet with students by then.

The low end of Fuqua's middle 80% for the GMAT has historically been 630/640. With a class size of 440, this means that every year, at least 44 students who matriculate applied to b-school with a GMAT less than or equal to 640. If you feel that studying for the GMAT will take away significant time from really getting to know Duke and polishing your essays, then it might not be the best strategy. However, since you have six months to take the GMAT (hopefully before they change the format in June) and to complete your application, I think you should be fine.

As for the EA vs. R1 question, if you are absolutely sure that Fuqua is your first choice, go ahead and submit in the EA round since submitting early should give you a slight edge. Otherwise, do R1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
So was it two weeks to the day for most r1 and ea applicants to get their acceptance packages?:)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
burnttwinky wrote:

I think it boils down to whether you see yourself competitive with that score.
Taking it 5 times is a time or 2 more than usual, but it could be worth it if you are going to breach 700.
Now Duke is traditionally easier on GMAT scores than other top 10-15 B-schools, but the real question is easier on what type of applicant profile. If you are from an under-represented community or gender (read female) then 660 is more competitive than it would have been for a male from an over represented community. I'm not cribbing about the unfairness but just pointing out its important to assess where you stand.

I say this because I an from an over represented app pool (Indian IT Male) and I have scored 640 and 680 on 2 GMATs with 5 and 5.5 on AWA respectively .
I had a REALLY STRONG reason for scoring 680 (and not higher)on the second attempt and I communicated that to adcom through my optional essay, but it was not good enough to get me an admit I guess. I am currently WL by Duke in R2 for this year. I think my app has no weakness other than my score (and perhaps some community service). I oscillate between feeling disappointed and hopeful to be on the waitlist being an IIM with a 680.
Anyhooo I am studying to take that blasted exam again. I will reach out to others here to advise me on my situation soon, but my point was that the GMAT does really matter depending on who you are.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Daedalus3 wrote:
burnttwinky wrote:

I think it boils down to whether you see yourself competitive with that score.
Taking it 5 times is a time or 2 more than usual, but it could be worth it if you are going to breach 700.
Now Duke is traditionally easier on GMAT scores than other top 10-15 B-schools, but the real question is easier on what type of applicant profile. If you are from an under-represented community or gender (read female) then 660 is more competitive than it would have been for a male from an over represented community. I'm not cribbing about the unfairness but just pointing out its important to assess where you stand.

I say this because I an from an over represented app pool (Indian IT Male) and I have scored 640 and 680 on 2 GMATs with 5 and 5.5 on AWA respectively .
I had a REALLY STRONG reason for scoring 680 (and not higher)on the second attempt and I communicated that to adcom through my optional essay, but it was not good enough to get me an admit I guess. I am currently WL by Duke in R2 for this year. I think my app has no weakness other than my score (and perhaps some community service). I oscillate between feeling disappointed and hopeful to be on the waitlist being an IIM with a 680.
Anyhooo I am studying to take that blasted exam again. I will reach out to others here to advise me on my situation soon, but my point was that the GMAT does really matter depending on who you are.

Unfortunately, in some ways I do fall under the over represented portion since I am a male Indian Engineer. I am American-born, but I am not sure whether that puts me in a different pool. A few years ago, I moved into a capital analyst role in my company, which is the exact opposite of what I did in engineering. I am hoping that helps differentiate me from the traditional Indian engineer at Duke. My extracurricular is pretty solid, but I can always improve if necessary. I will be visiting Duke on April 27th to attend a class, tour the campus, and meet with a ad com; however, I am somewhat skeptical whether the meeting with the ad com is going to help me understand what I need to do from now until fall to improve my chances.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
burnttwinky wrote:
Unfortunately, in some ways I do fall under the over represented portion since I am a male Indian Engineer. I am American-born, but I am not sure whether that puts me in a different pool. A few years ago, I moved into a capital analyst role in my company, which is the exact opposite of what I did in engineering. I am hoping that helps differentiate me from the traditional Indian engineer at Duke. My extracurricular is pretty solid, but I can always improve if necessary. I will be visiting Duke on April 27th to attend a class, tour the campus, and meet with a ad com; however, I am somewhat skeptical whether the meeting with the ad com is going to help me understand what I need to do from now until fall to improve my chances.

IMHO it does NOT put you into the category of internationals.. If you are born in America, you are American, no matter what your ethnicity is. I think you would compete with every other American male candidate of varying ethnicity.
I know I open a sensitive topic here, but I cannot see business schools sub-classifying Americans based on ethnicity and clubbing them into the applicant pool with internationals of the same ethnicity.
Even permanent residents apparently(?) hold some distinction from internationals who have no affiliation to the US. It could boil down to employ-ability of the candidate in the American market in this economy.

Aah well. Tis' what it is. Still makes an American education worthwhile! Back to the books! :)
And good luck! I see you being decently competitive with a 700+ score, even if it is your 5th try, but I suggest KILLING it (730+) with some retrospection on the psychology of test-day which seems to be your weakness. :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  63   64   65   66   67   68   69  ...  76   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts