Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 03:07 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 03:07
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

What should I do?

86% [44]
13% [7]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Re: Accept Wharton or wait another year? [#permalink]
If you got in Wharton, congratulations!

Now go. Just because you got in this year doesn't mean you'll get in next year, especially at a place like Wharton.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Quality of experience matters more than the quantity but I do understand your concern: it is essentially about fit. You are asking yourself "how will I feel among my peers there who have much more work experience than me?", "will I disappoint firms coming to campus which will see Im the odd man out there?".

Stop any speculation and go ahead talk to career services and mba admissions of Wharton. Contact the club officers in the desired industry. Go straight to the source. I highly doubt someone will mislead you.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
You are lucky! Go and never look back :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Send PM
I think the above posters that state "its wharton of course you will do fine" aren't really thinking about the situation in its entirety. When you are applying for jobs you are competing against your peers, who will on average have 2-3 years of additional experience on you. Think, if you were an employer and there are two applicants, obviously both at wharton, one of which has 2 years experience the other 4 or 5, who would you choose. The argument of quality over quantity does hold because this is wharton after all, everyone has quality.

You are obviously a smart guy/gal and you won't be unemployable you just won't be as competitive as the majority of your peers for positions that you will most likely be applying. So you will get a job but it might not be your dream job.

At the end of the day either decision you make you will be fine but I think 1-2 more years of experience will put you in a better position to get the most out of bschool as your career goals will be more refined. You will also have 2 more years of salary and savings which is always nice. Also, the argument that you got in once but not again doesn't really hold as your gpa and gmats are rock solid and your work experience is only gonna get better.

What you should really do it ask yourself what you want and why you want to go to school. If it doesn't make sense don't go. You are still super young and have tons of potential. Mainly, don't let fear dictate your decision making process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Go ahead. It's Wharton!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
We are all MBA lovers, that's why we are here...

Now go to Wharton!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Ok fact: Getting into Wharton is NOT an easy task.

The fact that you got in without much work experience speaks VOLUMES about you as a candidate. I would like to believe that the adcoms know what they are doing and accepted you because they saw something in you. Employability is one of the things they evaluate you on. So here you are given a chance of a lifetime (ok slightly dramatic but you get the point), why would you risk it? There is no guarantee that you will get in again. Just go and never look back. Yes you will be evaluated against your peers, but hey thats life at a top 10 school. I am sure you will be just fine. Besides you may not get your dream job straight out of school but the Wharton name will be with you forever, and lets not underestimate what that will do for your career.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
ke18sb wrote:
I think the above posters that state "its wharton of course you will do fine" aren't really thinking about the situation in its entirety. When you are applying for jobs you are competing against your peers, who will on average have 2-3 years of additional experience on you. Think, if you were an employer and there are two applicants, obviously both at wharton, one of which has 2 years experience the other 4 or 5, who would you choose. The argument of quality over quantity does hold because this is wharton after all, everyone has quality.

You are obviously a smart guy/gal and you won't be unemployable you just won't be as competitive as the majority of your peers for positions that you will most likely be applying. So you will get a job but it might not be your dream job.

At the end of the day either decision you make you will be fine but I think 1-2 more years of experience will put you in a better position to get the most out of bschool as your career goals will be more refined. You will also have 2 more years of salary and savings which is always nice. Also, the argument that you got in once but not again doesn't really hold as your gpa and gmats are rock solid and your work experience is only gonna get better.

What you should really do it ask yourself what you want and why you want to go to school. If it doesn't make sense don't go. You are still super young and have tons of potential. Mainly, don't let fear dictate your decision making process.

Asking him to wait 1-2 years is wrong. A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush, he may never get into Wharton again. And as I said,..you're assuming that more work experience = better candidate. WRONG. IBs prefer younger folks. And when you get into Wharton,...at that point interview skills will trump work experience. They're not hiring you based on what you've done,...they're hiring you on your potential.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Other
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
I feel like I am being trolled .....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3086 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Troll radar uncertain.

Go. Your relative lack of work experience will keep you out of a handful of jobs - but they are only a handful (and may or may not even be of interest anyway). Most importantly, if you intend to stay in a similar function/industry then your work experience is arguably more relevant than that of a career switcher (of which there will be many). Also, keep in mind that your salary / offer wont likely change at all with 1 more year of experience, so why wait?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1127 posts