Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:44 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.09
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.09
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
Send PM
Re: 450 Need help with GMAT Prep strategies [#permalink]
One suggestion is to read an American newspaper every day. I know MrFong suggested reading American books which are good but I strongly recommend reading American newspaper. They use A LOT of the grammar and style that is tested on the GMAT. This can help you in all 3 parts of Verbal: you will become more familiar with the grammar tested in Sentence Correction, you will be able to read longer passages and remember details which is exactly what Reading Comprehension is, and if you practice being critical of the newspaper articles and analyze the arguments being presented you will be more familiar with Critical Reasoning questions.

If you do this consistently every day it will pay off. It did for me and I'm a native English speaker haha. Give it a try!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Those are good suggestions. Mine are along another line... give yourself a date to take the test, and make checkpoints and milestones along the way. It's amazing how fast time flies when you don't have a specific deadline!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Purchase the manhattan gmat test books, and foundations of Gmat Math. They offer a great course online, that's 9 weeks long, but before you sign up, buy the Foundations of Gmat Math book, and go over it, do all the drills, then move to the manhattan gmat books. I bought my set on craigslist for 50.00, latest edition. I would say, try to go over the smallest details and most basic's of math, review the concepts, and take your time to understand the concepts, and the process. This book built my confidence a lot with refreshing my math abilities, and it's great because it tells you step by step on how to solve for a problem, sometimes it provides two or three ways on doing that same problem. Another thing would be to do at least 20 problems each day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.22
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
iVoRy wrote:
I'm a non native English speaker.

I just do my try GMATPrep and get 450 (quant36/verbal17)

I want to get 700+. I know it's long way to go. Can you give me some advice regarding GMAT.

PS. I'm a recent grad and won't be pursue MBA in a few years so I have a lot of times to prepare for GMAT.

1. Identify your weaknesses and strengths, not only in terms of the type of questions but also in qualitative things (timing, concentration, comprehension)

2. Make sure to use an error log in all of our practices. Also, if you are already comfortable with the basics, go ahead and time your practice tests.

3. Start reading a CNN, Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, focus on active reading: "What is the whole point of the article?" "What is the function of this paragraph?"
GMAT Club Bot