Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:10 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Am I focusing too much on the rank? [#permalink]
Thanks for the clarification. I did NOT realize the Bay Area was NorCal.

How competitive would you say UC San Diego, UC San Francisco and UC Davis are?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ok maybe I should clarify a bit: NorCal = Northern California, which includes the Bay Area/ SF. SoCal = Southern California, which includes LA and San Diego.

As far as schools are concerned, UCSD is a relatively new but growing program. If you want to be in San Diego, especially in healthcare, it has lots of opportunities. I know UCSF is expanding their recruiting efforts as well but I can't speak too specifically about them or Davis for that matter. All three are less competitive than USC, so you could use that as a benchmark to see where you're a competitive applicant.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
There must be some confusion here... UC San Francisco is a health sciences school, not a business school.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools: - Class of 2014
Send PM
westsidah408 wrote:
Hey folks,

So, lately I've been looking at schools in the SoCal area (mainly SF and the Bay Area). Besides Stanford, Haas, and Anderson, can someone recommend some good schools? I've found a few but maybe I'm always slightly put off by the rank. Is that normal?

Any insights would be great.

Thanks!

I'm a first year at the University of San Diego and can tell you that this program has exceeded every single one of my expectations. Your future career will depend more upon your own qualities than those of the school (no matter how much top-tier candidates like to protest). Find a school that will help you advance to where you want to be. I have experience with a few schools in SoCal, feel free to message me if you have any questions I can help you answer.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Okay, I guess I should've looked at a map. I didn't realize that San Diego was south of LA.

I'm sure USC is a better school than UCSD et al but I'm not sure I can afford the $55k a year in tuition. That is why I have been exploring more cost-friendly (see: cheaper) options.

Thanks for all the info though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
westsidah408 wrote:
Okay, I guess I should've looked at a map. I didn't realize that San Diego was south of LA.

I'm sure USC is a better school than UCSD et al but I'm not sure I can afford the $55k a year in tuition. That is why I have been exploring more cost-friendly (see: cheaper) options.

... and what makes a school "better", its rank in a magazine sold in grocery stores? But seriously, almost all the schools cost approximately the same save Cal State Universities. UCSD happens to be one of the best schools in the world so I'm not sure what you mean when using 'better'- although it may be relatively new this would not necessarily affect the quality of the institution.

If you're considering a CSU school I would seriously reconsider. Given the budget of the California educational system, along with their already low tuition, I don't see how you will benefit the same as one of the better funded programs. If you're going just to learn what you need to learn then I guess it wouldn't matter which you choose. The "amenities" that a school offers (like career services, team-projects/competitions, study abroad opportunities, mentor-ships, etc. ) are just as important if not more than what is described numerically. After all, the goal of a school is to make you into a functional employee and you get a job based on your own character, not the school's.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JJabsolute wrote:
westsidah408 wrote:

... and what makes a school "better", its rank in a magazine sold in grocery stores? But seriously, almost all the schools cost approximately the same save Cal State Universities. UCSD happens to be one of the best schools in the world so I'm not sure what you mean when using 'better'- although it may be relatively new this would not necessarily affect the quality of the institution.

If you're considering a CSU school I would seriously reconsider. Given the budget of the California educational system, along with their already low tuition, I don't see how you will benefit the same as one of the better funded programs. If you're going just to learn what you need to learn then I guess it wouldn't matter which you choose. The "amenities" that a school offers (like career services, team-projects/competitions, study abroad opportunities, mentor-ships, etc. ) are just as important if not more than what is described numerically. After all, the goal of a school is to make you into a functional employee and you get a job based on your own character, not the school's.

I agree that a school being "better" is truly in eye of the beholder. I am more inclined towards USC (at this point) due to the large alumni base, the fact that there are more alumni here (in Asia), and that it has a better reputation. That said, unless I get some sort of scholarship I can't afford USC (or the schools on my profile). What I meant by better was not that UCSD was not a good school, but for me, I felt that USC was a better fit.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
westsidah408 wrote:

I agree that a school being "better" is truly in eye of the beholder. I am more inclined towards USC (at this point) due to the large alumni base, the fact that there are more alumni here (in Asia), and that it has a better reputation. That said, unless I get some sort of scholarship I can't afford USC (or the schools on my profile). What I meant by better was not that UCSD was not a good school, but for me, I felt that USC was a better fit.

USC does have a big connection to China so that would be a good choice if you want to work there. I would guess most schools would have a decent connection to Asia and China in particular given the sheer quantity of business there now. I know that USD offers international trips to Shanghai, Bejing, Seoul, and Hong Kong, among others in Asia. If you'd consider living in San Diego I would definitely consider the program.
GMAT Club Bot