Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 03:04 It is currently 05 May 2024, 03:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.56
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3599 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: 640 -> 730 (50,27) -> (50,39) [#permalink]
@aah123 Data sufficiency (DS) is all about sound understanding of the basics. In problem solving (PS), it is sometimes enough to know just the formula to arrive at a solution. But DS requires you to understand the concept behind the formula. Let me tell you, once we know the concept it takes much less time to arrive at a solution in DS. For example, 'Weighted-Average' problems take much less time to answer when stated as a DS question rather than as a PS question, because we don't need to solve for a result in DS.

In short, I don't think there is a shortcut for DS other than understanding he core concepts. Having said so, there are some useful tips in guessing answers when we are not sure of the logic. One example is when second statement restates the first statement in a different wording, the answer is either E or D.

Regarding the practice problems for DS, I have just used OG and other question collections found in gclub downloads.

@gurpreetsingh, sorry it is Bunuel indeed, reg quant strategies. I think bb and Bunuel are the core pillars of the gmatclub, ensuring quality content.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
How did you managed to improve from V27 to V39. Its phenomenal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks AbhiJ.

Before my first attempt, I scored more than 35 in Verbal in all the practice tests. At that time I did not solve any verbal questions other than those from the OG 12. And even in answering those questions I relied on sounding of the sentence rather than a methodical strategy. Unfortunately, everything worked fine for me in the practice tests, but when it came to the final exam, I faltered heavily in Verbal. Ironically, the whole time I was doing the Verbal section in my first attempt, I felt so confident that I was expecting a 720 minimum. But, I was devastated to see the score. I had no clue why I got such a low score in verbal, given that I never scored below 35 during practice.

When I sat back and analyzed, I understood that I was confident with the RC and CR part though I relied more on understanding the passage/argument than on applying standard procedures. But I was never confident with the sentence correction because I am no good at grammar. I learned only a basic set of concepts and solved only a small number of questions (OG 12). Most of the time, I was able to spot the correct answer, but was not able to explain myself, why that choice was correct. So, based on all this thought process, I came to a conclusion that SC is where I lost all the points.

Later, I gave myself a break for a month (to attend to some personal commitments) and started the preparation again, but this time I have decided to study only SC. Taking the suggestion of a good friend (who cracked GMAT last year, scoring 730) I have started solving 1000 SC. But somehow most of those questions felt wierd and different. Most of them ended up with no official answers and time and again my google searches ended up in MGMAT forums, where the instructors suggested not to follow those questions. Yet, I tried for 2/3 days and finally decided to quit 1000 SC. Then a week before my second attempt, I found these wonderful collection of verbal questions from souvik101990:

SC: the-most-comprehensive-collection-of-everything-official-sc-140372
RC: the-most-comprehensive-collection-of-everything-official-rc-140373
CR: the-most-comprehensive-collection-of-everything-official-cr-140375

I downloaded all of them, but I had only 4 days left, so, I managed to complete 500+ SC questions. And this time I carefully noted down why I answered them RIGHT/WRONG. In either case I have searched for those topics and tried to remember the concept behind them. Sometimes, I felt like all that I was learning is going over my head. But then I took breaks in between to just recite everything I learnt and that revision of topics helped me in remembering them. And during this process I found that e-GMAT has the best verbal, esp. SC techniques for non-native speakers. Some of the free articles they have posted on the gmat club are phenomenal. They made SC look like a piece of cake. They explained SC as a clear set of rules, much like a mathematical problem than a verbal one. I was really pissed of with myself for not finding those earlier. Nevertheless, I read whatever that was available free on their site. Some how I managed to solve 500+ SC questions with just one day remaining for the exam.

The day before the exam, I took up the gmatclub Math book and revised all the formulae and went through many quant solutions on the forums, esp. those compiled by Bunuel. And finally, on the day of the exam, just went through the basic CR/RC strategies and AWA templates and took the exam. I did screw up the IR section and thought I screwed up the quant section also. Took a break after quant and said to myself, that what ever happens I would not let myself go down with out a fight. I paid special attention on SC and all the way I could sense how I would have wrongly answered the same questions If I had not practiced those 500 odd SC questions. Also, I did concentrate on RC passages and tried to understand the content as much as possible and that made my job easier in answering the questions correctly. And finally my exam ended with 1 question un-answered. But, no regrets, because those 2 minutes I lost might have helped me in scoring better in my SC.

And that's how I ended up with 730. And from my small stint, I could suggest the following for a good score in Verbal.
1. Though I did not enroll for e-GMAT (due to extremely late discovery of the quality of their course), I would strongly recommend everyone to attend their course.
2. Practice at least 500 good quality SC questions.
3. Review your answers, why you are RIGHT/wrong.
4. As much as possible, try to understand the meaning . This would really help in all the sections -> SC, RC and CR.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37386 posts