Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 14:51 It is currently 08 May 2024, 14:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Startegy
Schools:Harvard, NYU Stern
 Q47  V27
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Yes, taking classes in accounting & statistics may help to balance out your low GPA and show that you are serious about getting an MBA. However, please take my advice re: English skills seriously. If you get dinged again this year, my first guess would be that it's because of your English skills.

Good luck,
Scott
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the advice. I need to improve my verbal score in GMAT. When i gave practice tests (Princeton, Aarcos), my verbal score was good and i ended up with a GMAT score range betwwen 680 to 760, but in the GMAT test my highest sore has been 590 (i have given it thrice), my highest verbal score is 38%. So i do not understand, how i should improve my verbal score? I have gone through OG couple of times.Need your advice.

regards
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Are there other English classes you can take, especially ones that will help yuo practice your writing skills? I'm thinking about ways to also help improve your essays. Do any classes like that come to mind?

Scott
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Scott,
I can check with local English college professors but improving my GMAT english is at present my primary aim and Essay Englsih comes after that, right?i will try talking to Englsih professors but i doubt that classes like this do exsist?
Kindly let me know what should i do improve my verbal score? and if i provide you with my whole profile can you help me let me know which are the areas where i need to improve and how?

regards
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
No, I would look at it the other way. Worry more about your essays than your GMAT score. Keep in mind that U.S. schools don't put as much weight on standardized tests as schools in other countries. The GMAT is important, but it's just a number. Your essays are your real voice in your application. If your voice doesn't come through clearly, or if your message is hard to understand because of language skills issues, you will have a hard time getting accepted into a top U.S. school.

I'm not sure how much more I can help you. Just practice your English! And get hepl with your essays if that's what it takes. You still need the one who writes your essays, but at least have a native English speaker proofread them for you.

Best of luck,
Scott
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Scott,
That's totally true that more stress in on essays but my GMAT score is quite low.My GMAT Score is 590 only and to get through a top 10 US college, i need to have a aGMAT score of 680 atleast. right? so how should i think of improving that?

regards
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
There is definitely NOT a hard cut-off in terms of GMAT scores, even at the top 10 U.S. schools. Remember that the GMAT acverage at the top school is just an average, and many people get in with scores well below that average. And, remember that getting a high score does NOT guarantee that you will get in, either. For instance, Stanford likes to talk about the number of people with 800 GMAT scores whom they reject each year.

Have you taken a GMAT class? I don't know what classes you have available to you, but if you're hoping to raise yoru score by nearly 100 points, you may want to look into some coaching, especially for the verbal section.

Scott
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Scott,
Today i recievd rejections from HEC and University of Washington, i was shortlisted in these universities for the interview.Infact i am feeling quite depressed today :( . It looks quite difficult to me to wait for another one year and then pursue my mba.
I know i am sounding bit stupid, .I have got MBA call from a university named Eurode marshelle, https://www.worldmediterraneanmba.com/ and they are giving me a scholarship of 10,000 euros and another one from a US university,HULT mba program https://www.hult.edu, this university features only in one web site ranking, https://www.which-mba.com. So i am in a fix what to do?Should i join these universities?
If i wait for one year then i want to get into an ultra elite schools, so for that i need to raise my GMAT score?I have not taken any coaching clsses but i am planning to take them now?
Another thing, do you think its advisable to get my essays checked by professional websites such as https://www.essayedge.com? I got my earlier essays checked by one of my cousins who ahd done his MBA from LBS?

regards
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hmm... That's a tough decision. It sounds as though you don't feel very passionate about either of those schools. So, my advice would probably be to not go ot Hult or Marseille. I lived in Boston for four years, and I never once heard of Hult. Not a good sign! You are probably better off waiting and trying again next year.

Also, I know you want to attend a top-ten school, but if you are considering one of these two schools now, then think about maybe applying to some other U.S. schools in the top 30 and top 50. I think you would be better off attending a lower-ranked, yet still well-regarded, business school such as Georgetown, Wash. U., or B.U. than one of those other ones that you mentioned.

Definitely consider GMAT classes and essay help. As a general rule, we don't push everyone to sign up for these services. But it sounds like you still want to make a big improvement in your essays and GMAT, so consider something like Veritas (a partner of ours) for GMAT help or one of the essay services.

Scott
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Scott,
I was bit depressed that is why i was considering going to these schools.But, i agree to you i will wait for one more year and then apply to good B-schools.
I was quite passioante about attending these schools but i personally feel that my GMAT score and GPA were bit on lower side that is why i was rejected.
Scott, just have a look at my profile and let me know in which areas i need to make improvement and how?
GMAT-590( Quant-46,Verbal-28) (Given 3 times)
GPA-2.6 (I am not sure, Indian standards are different, Spent an extra year in Engg. college,Engg. College-Among top 10 in India)
Work Experience-3 yrs (Software Engineer,Past one year with a multinational)
Started my own company in my undergraduation and succesfully ran for 2 years
Extra Cirricular:-Writing Novel, Working for NGO,Writing artciles for newspaper,Working on a mangegment model thought by me.)
Career goal:-Want to restart my business venture.

I would like to enroll for the GMAT program, let me know how to do it.Please provide me the advice how to improve my stats, i am now targeting top 10 B-schools of US

regards
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
I would say that the 3 things that concern me most about your profile are 1) your GMAT score, 2) your GPA, and 3) the fact that you are an Indian applicant with an IT background (extremely common).

Re: the GMAT, are in in India or the U.S. right now? I highly recommend Veritas for GMAT prep. They are a company that we work with closely. But, they are mianly U.S.-based. If they're not accessible, try Kaplan or Princeton Review. I don't know who operates in India.

Re: your GPA, there's obviously not much that you can do about it now. But, consider taking an accounting class or something like that at a local school. If you do very well in that class, it will show b-schools that you have the potential to do better than your low GPA suggests.

Re: your common applicant profile, the things like your book help a lot. Your NGO experience *may* help, but only if it's something that you're really involved in. Ideally you have taken a leadership role with the NGO. You don't want it to look like you're just doing it to be able to put something on your resume.

Scott
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Scott,
I am at present in India, so i do not think Veritas will be possible? If you can suggest me something else, it will be simply great?
I agree taking stats or accounting classes will help but in India we do not have any spcified classes in stats or accounting. I need to enroll in a correspondence management course of duration six months to one year to get familiar with these subjetcs. will that be fine?
I am very keenly working for an NGO, but what else should i do to improve my typical IT background.I am thinking of working with the Business Devlopment department of the organization, i think that will be something different.right?
Does starting of my own company, writing artcles and a novel and creating my own Efficiency Model will some how compensate my negative factors?

regards
vivek
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Sorry, I don't know of any GMAT prep services in India. I'm sure that you can find some on Google.

Any classes that you take now should help you. As for the efficiency model, I don't expect that schools will put much emphasis on that. Starting your own company will help. They're much more interested in actions and results than theory.

Scott
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Scott,
Does applying in 3rd or 4th round plays a crucial role in denying admission in a top B-school?
Can you suggest any websites where i can get my essays checked or any websites that can help me to write my essays and recommendations?
regards
vivek
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
If you apply after the 2nd round, then usually your odds of success are pretty low. We recommend applying in Round 1 or Round 2.

For essay help, we are working on a service that you may be interested in. Check back on https://www.mbagameplan.com in a couple of weeks. If you're looking for more complete help with your entire application, check out veritasmba.com. They're a partner of ours (like I've said before), and they do end-to-end application consulting.

Scott
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Scott,
How good it is to apply to UK school such as Warwick, Bath, Birmingham,Edinburgh?
Are career opportunities in these B-schools equivalent to those at American B-schools?
regards
vivek
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
It depends on where you want to get a job. In general, a U.S. school will give you a much better chance of getting a job in the U.S. If you're targeting the UK or Europe, then look at schools there.

Scott
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2